Water hose

We never drink out our on board tank.we buy bottled water and carry a separate container with drinking water in iy
on board tank for showers ,dishes and washing the van b4 Lee jumps in😀😀😀😀😜

I've always carried a hose and never carried a watering can, I do carry a 25 litre drum of water that I can use if needed by tipping it into the tank which is under the bed with easy access.

We tried one of those cheap X type hoses once, what a waste of time, it took so much pressure to fill/extend the hose there was just a dribble for the tank.

The hose I have had for 6 years is one of the extending ones. It is only ever used for filling the tank. For drinking water a 6 litre water carrier taken from home does the job. The watering can hardly ever gets used but if I take it out I'm bound to need it on the next trip!

I carry a couple of collapsible water containers and a hose pipe , because it a silly autosleeper.fill system

We’ve had 3 food grade flat hoses, the ones that are wound round a cassette. After a year or so, all 3 started to impart an unpleasant antiseptic taste to the water, just before they started leaking. We now use Gardena 13mm hose. 2 lengths that we can join together if needed, will stretch to about 15 meters. Enough length to fill the tank from any water supply we have encountered and after nearly 3 years, no nasty aftertaste or leaks.
We have never used any hoses that we have found attached to taps. I know my own hose is clean so use that all the time.
I generally disinfect any water taps we come across on aires in Europe, you never know what’s happened to them before we get there.
We carry a watering can too, but only use it if we can’t get close enough to a tap.

We’ve had 3 food grade flat hoses, the ones that are wound round a cassette. After a year or so, all 3 started to impart an unpleasant antiseptic taste to the water, just before they started leaking. We now use Gardena 13mm hose. 2 lengths that we can join together if needed, will stretch to about 15 meters. Enough length to fill the tank from any water supply we have encountered and after nearly 3 years, no nasty aftertaste or leaks.
We have never used any hoses that we have found attached to taps. I know my own hose is clean so use that all the time.
I generally disinfect any water taps we come across on aires in Europe, you never know what’s happened to them before we get there.
We carry a watering can too, but only use it if we can’t get close enough to a tap.
Oh dear not a good recommendation for food grade ?.

Watering can for us 95% !
We do have easy access to pour into our tank.
Also the hose is flat and the outside filling point is round and has a chicane leading to the tank.
On our campsite tonight a hose would not do !

I would warn you off stretchy hoses, when the water pressure is low they are very slow and it is hard to get them completely empty so water remains in them.
I use food grade polythene hose, 18 or 19mm diameter so that hoselock fittings fit. You can see if anything is starting to grow and clean by flushing bleach through.
Have one 2M length for when you can get close to a tap and I also have an 8M length and the rest of a 25M length. It is very much cheaper by getting a coil.
BEWARE if you buy a coiled roll when you first use it carefully unroll the coil, do not just pull it out as you will get a twisted tangle.

I have food grade hose and various fittings to go with the hose lock adaptors which include the screw on fitting to tap as to enable hose lock connection
id rather use my hose as I have seen (not a lot) people hosing tneir cassette toilet with fresh water hose agh
Was on a site many years ago and witnessed a guy cleaning his toilet cassette with the fresh water hose attached to the tap, sticking it inside the swivel tube to fill and rinse…..
I’ve never used an attached hose since, preferring to remove it and fit my own, might be a bit OTT in some peoples book, but there’s no accounting some peoples level of filth

We use a food standard roll flat hose with various hozelock attachments. (AND just in case belt and braces) we have a 6 litre plastic water bottle and a funnel. Never used the waterbottle.
Would never use the hose attached to the tap. Unknown what the end has touched.

Always have both my 20m flat hoses but use site one if available when filling up.

st-ann-s-well.jpg

Only a watering can for this delightful TAP 😋 When they built it they had never heard of MH so they didn't fit a threaded tap and you certainly won't get any sort of fitting on it. We just parked and used a watering can

So pleased to hear that a few other stout souls drink out of their fresh water tanks too. Just use my old coiled hose or a watering can to top up wherever.

We even drink from mountain streams too.

Still alive to tell the tale. :)

Yes Hose if you like , but my favourite method is the watering can 5 litres and a 5 litre plastic container, a walk to the nearest tap and back to the van and empty into the van tank, I place the short hose seen on the can into the filler hole , insert the other end of the hose into the spout of the watering can and just pour the water in, then empty the 5 litre plastic container of water into the water can and repeat the process, we never allow our tank to completely empty unless NOT using the van and just top up as and when we need to using our preferred method, you will find you will need all sorts of hose attachments to suit various taps on your travels if you use hose, BUT the watering can is universal and fits all scenarios, Imagine if you are on a site with an awning up [God Forbid ] hee hee and need water, will you take the awning down and drive to the tap?I think not

can 1.JPGcan 2.JPG

[... ]you will find you will need all sorts of hose attachments to suit various taps on your travels if you use hose, [...]
FWIW, that's not my experience. I have a set that comprises a 3/4" tap connector with a 1/2" adapter and a clamp on connector for the rare occasions where the threaded connectors won't fit (something similar to this one on Amazon). I have yet to find a tap that I can't connect a hose to. However, I have at times been 'snookered by distance' where my hose won't reach and for that I've fitted a 'Command' hook above the filler so that I can hang a funnel to fill the tank using a 10-litre container.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back