We have gone to Spain 2020

I honestly can't understand why anybody seems surprised by the way events are unfolding.

Was there something not understood about the word 'pandemic'? :unsure: :rolleyes:

If you've lost out as a result of travel decisions you made after we were first all made aware of coronavirus, then I politely suggest you must have all been in a total state of denial (it won't happen to me, it's just flu, it can't possibly get that bad, I'm just going to ignore it all.... blah, blah).

Whatever. There's no point moaning about it. Suggest you follow in Trigger's & Biggarmac's footsteps, chill and make the best of it. ;)
You've got (mostly) great weather and sunshine, plus access to good food and booze, you're not in a war zone (yet!) what's not to like?! ;) 😁

Sometimes, no matter what's happening in the bigger world, there's just no pleasing some folk {sigh} 😝 🙂

We had the police come round the Aires today and over the loud speaker told us to move as lockdown is immanent , they also said we can stay but will have to abide by the lockdown rules , as there is nowhere to travel without the risk of getting isolated in the middle of nowhere we and about 60 vans of all nationalities have decided to stay and ride it out , we have got a water tap and cassette empty point and supermarket close , so it makes sense to stay here

I have now arrived in Lo Crispin urburnisation were my cousin is, we are parking there as we are free to use his home and can sunbathe in his garden plus there is a pool. We called at the supermarket and stocked up with booze, there was no toilet rolls or water on the shelves, but I can survive without them as the tap water is good to drink here and if I run out of toilet paper I can become a Muslim convert and use my hand.

The only downside is I'm going to have to put up with Elaine's cooking for the next 15 days, with the restaurants been closed, don't know what will kill me first, the Coronavirus or food poisoning. Those of us here will just have to ride it out, I just hope the measures they have brought in will.be effective.

Shame about anyone who has a deadline to be back in the UK for work medics or court appearances.
Good luck to you who are close to good amenities.
Fancy being stuck on a Benidorm style campsite.... At peak season rates, no doubt....? ... Me neither.!
What you going to do Rog... ?
Odd that all this should happen, the very first time that you an Jeff decide to come to Spain...
Are they trying to tell you something ?

Still hope to be able to get back to the UK in May, the wife is booked into a private hospital to have a hip replacement, if still stuck in Spain will have to consider flying her home. Although I have just read that the government might commandier all beds in private hospitals to help with the Coronavirus. So maybe the operation will get cancelled after all for a later date, at least she is in less pain been away from the damp UK weather.

We are parked up on the border between Spain & Portugal with a few vans nearby. Lots of discussions about what to do but we have decided to sit it out. Cupboards fairly well stocked, Service points and a small bar...........
You might be stuck there longer than you expect with the shutdown! I should have been visiting Louise next week but Trump has just put the kybosh on that. 🙁

Also we are getting report of the borders are gridlocked and impossible to pass , there was some vans left here trying to leave the country only to return later in the evening

My cousin has received this who lives in an urburnisation in Spain, it's been translated from the Spanish version. Can't really be much clearer than this, we are going to move into his house, at present we are parked outside on the road and just using his facilities, but sleeping in the van, but I'm thinking we will probably get a knock come Monday and either told to move or move out of the van.

Coronavirus: What you can and can’t do during Spain’s state of alert

Spain is on lockdown. Everything except supermarkets and pharmacies is closed and from Monday people will not be allowed to leave their homes except to get supplies or for exceptional reasons.
From 8am on Monday, strict new measures will be imposed to keep Spaniards in their homes and prevent further spread of the coronavirus.

The government has chosen to delay these steps until after the weekend to allow people to return to their place of residence and prepare for confinement.

Everyone will be expected to stay within their homes and police will be given the powers to stop and question people found outside and in vehicles using public roads.

And yet public transport will not be shut down, although it will be reduced by fifty percent, presumably because it still provides the only way to move around for key workers.

People will only be allowed on the streets and to circulate in private cars under the following circumstances:

To buy essentials from supermarkets or pharmacies

Everything will close except for food shops and pharmacies so you will be allowed to leave the house only to visit to those establishments to buy essentials. Strict measures will be in place at shops to prevent crowding and ensure that consumers and employees remain at least one metre apart from each other to reduce the risk of contagion.

To go to work

Companies have been told to order their employees to work from home when possible but there are obviously some jobs which are essential, such as those who work in healthcare or care for the elderly or if you are employed in one of those places which are needed to be kept open, such as public transport, supermarkets or pharmacies.

To return to your primary place of residence

If for some reason you are not at your home when the state of alert officially begins, you won’t have to stay where you are but will be allowed to travel back to your primary residence.

To visit needy relatives or vulnerable people

If you are responsible for someone who may live alone and need help, either because they are elderly, disabled or considered vulnerable in some way, you will be allowed to visit them and take them supplies.

To visit the doctor or hospital

Seeking medical treatment is a valid reason to leave the house but phone ahead to check the appointment is still happening as non-essential treatment at hospitals has in most cases been postponed. Do not leave the house to go to the hospital if you have symptoms of the coronavirus but stay home in quarantine and if the symptoms become severe then contact your regional hotline.

To visit financial institutions

We are assuming this is to visit a cash point and take out money because high street banks won’t be opening their doors and operating as normal.

Due to force majeure or need and to carry out unspecified activity that can be justified as a valid reason

No further information has yet been given as to what beyond those activities above might be considered "a force majeure" or "valid reason".

Can I socialize with my friends?

Um no, the whole point is that people need to stay home and socially distance to try and slow down spread of COVID-19.

All bars, restaurants, cultural spaces have been shut down across Spain and you'll be stopped if you are spotted sitting in a park chatting with friends. The message is very clearly "Stay home and stay isolated".

Tourists in Valencia checking their phones in the sun after the measures were announced on Saturday. Photo: AFP

How long will this last?

The state of alert will be in place for 15 days but could be extended with permission of Spain's parliament.

Should I be stockpiling?

In areas where supermarkets have been overwhelmed with people and have seen shelves emptied as panic buying set in, such as Madrid, police have been called in to limit numbers entering the supermarket and to prevent bulk buying of essential goods.

Authorities insist there is no need to stockpile beyond buying enough to last the household for a week at a time, because the supplies are not threatened.

Police stops and army on standby

It also mentions all of Spain’s police forces will have the power to stop vehicles on public roads to check their purpose of being there and adds that drivers will be able to refuel at service stations.

The Decree adds that the army may be drafted in if deemed necessary.

If I am on holiday in Spain can I fly home?

The state of alert does not mean that Spain’s borders will automatically be closed but expect a host of cancellations from airlines as the number of passengers drastically drops.

Holiday companies such as Jet2 have cancelled all holidays to Spain from Saturday but if you are already in Spain on holiday expect provisions to be made for your return. You will need to contact your airline or holiday company and find out what arrangements will be made.

Expect disruptions.

Can I go for a walk in the park?

The short answer is no. Children's playgrounds have been cordoned off and people are being told not to go outside to parks.

But those with dogs are expected to be allowed to walk them if they maintain basic social distancing rules such as maintaining a safe distance between other dogwalkers.

What a difference a day makes.

Here in Lanzarote all was dead normal yesterday. Visited a few places, had lunch in Haria and called in to the Lidl in Arrecife and no sign of any panic buying etc. This morning we think it's a good idea to get some stuff in because restrictions start tomorrow. People are queueing to get in to Lidl in Puerto del Carmen. Couple of days to let it all settle i suppose.

Cheers

H

Well things are really starting to wind down now , very little traffic about , lots of vans turned up here today as they are getting turned around whatever direction they try to go . We have been told we can go to the supermarket but only one of us and not go as a couple and in the supermarket we have to keep 1 MTR away from the next person , we have also been told we can take Roxy out to do her business but can't take her for a walk again only one of us and cannot come into contact with anyone else with their dog , looks like the beginning of a long couple of weeks

The police have been patrolling around the Urbanisation we are staying at with a tannoy announcing that everyone should remain at home, they also pulled up when they saw three dog walkers and told them only 1 person can walk the dog, gave them 5 minutes to return home, told them if they saw them again they would receive a €500 fine. Been told there will be roadblocks and you will have to have a valid reason for been out, also told that only 1 person in a car. Be interesting to see if I get stopped going to the pharmacy tomorrow.

It sounds a lot more draconian in Spain than here in Portugal. We are being asked to remain on site if possible, but no police enforcing anything more than normal. No more rally meals in the site restaurant but we can still go there for meals. Many things are being shut down but it seems on a more voluntary basis.
Keep safe everyone.
Meg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back