Weight issues

Bobtaylor

Hi all,
can anyone give me the name of a company that can increase the weight category of my MH please,
I know there’s been several threads on here covering the subject, but i can’t find them in the search bar,
many thanks in advance,
Bob

SvTech, £260 plus vat. Having looked into doing it myself it seems well worth it. In my case I'll save £400 a year VED. Happy days 😁

But there is another that is reported to be cheaper
Mr AHJ Ruffles (calls himself John)
company is JR Consultancy
tel: 01359 250808 / 01244 544 598
NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: truckcon@outlook.com
from what ive read he takes a bit longer than sv tech but is over a hundred pounds cheaper

• Thank You
Reactions: 2cv
in the midst of this process but don’t take my comments as gospel every one you talk to has a different opinion, my van can go from 3500 to 4150 although a paper exercise it will require proof of adjustments in set up ie i have gone for bigger 16” wheels to enable a higher load rating & tomorrow i am having inflatable bellows fitted on the rear suspension, it’s all going to have cost about £1500 but last time i weighed mine in full travelling mode i was 3850 too high to get down to 3500 comfortably best to get legal and carry everything without worrying,
although there are some savings the bigger wheels will increase fuel consumption but only couple of miles the tax will go down etc be a long time till it breaks even but will sell of my 15” wheels as spares for people whose new vans come without them ,

Last edited:
I used Svtech in April to go up to 3850kg on my Bailey, this is just a paper exercise but be aware that DVLA are not really working properly at the moment and have only just said they will take paper applications again so expect a long wait, if your anticipating going abroad this year then wait until you come back as you may not get your V5 back in time to go.
I'm off to Spain in January I hope to get my V5 back by then

But there is another that is reported to be cheaper
Mr AHJ Ruffles (calls himself John)
company is JR Consultancy
tel: 01359 250808 / 01244 544 598
NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: truckcon@outlook.com
from what ive read he takes a bit longer than sv tech but is over a hundred pounds cheaper

Top man just used him to do mine. Emailed details - came back to me same day.
Info and invoice back in 5 days as promised.
Paid invoice - certificate and plate back in 5 days as promised.
All for £180. Highly recommended.
Do your research so you understand what can and cant be done first.

bigger wheels will increase fuel consumption but only couple of miles
Why do you think bigger wheels will increase fuel consumption?

I fitted bigger tyres (not wheels) by a couple of sizes which increased the circumference by a bit over 6.8%.

This makes the Speedo read very slightly low instead of too high, and it lowers the engine speed when cruising. It possibly marginally increases rolling resistance, but that's not a big factor in fuel consumption.

If there is a difference in mpg, I'd say it has got a bit better, not worse

The handling is better, the ride smoother (helped by being able to run on lower pressure tyres) and the bigger tyres were cheaper!

by improve i did of course mean better mpg ie each turn of the wheel covering a further distance , but i’m heavy footed it is actually showing an increase of .9 from 19.7 to 20.5 but after 170mls not really enough to convince,

Ah, you meant more MPG not fewer. I find that the biggest fuel saving approach is to use the cruise control. It accelerates more gently than I do

John Ruffles did my increase from 3500 to 4100 as a paperwork exercise. I had air suspension on the rear, and I uprated the tyres to allow for their potential extra loadings. It is not necessary to go from 15” to 16” wheels. Be aware when you speak to him he’s a bit mutt and jeff

Hi all,
can anyone give me the name of a company that can increase the weight category of my MH please,
I know there’s been several threads on here covering the subject, but i can’t find them in the search bar,
many thanks in advance,
Bob
Svtech did mine.

Sorry for being a bit dull lol what is this all about ie I got a vw crafter 3500... So can I get this changed thanks mark

Sorry for being a bit dull lol what is this all about ie I got a vw crafter 3500... So can I get this changed thanks mark
Depends on the vehicle. My sprinter-based motorhome went from 4600 to 4900 which involved paying for a bit of paper and a new sticker with higher weights.

Didn't really need it, as there was a few hundred kg spare anyway, but it was less than £200.

Yours may or may not be able to upgrade. If it can, the road tax will be cheaper, but you'll need C1 on your licence to drive it.

Phone John Ruffles and ask!

by improve i did of course mean better mpg ie each turn of the wheel covering a further distance , but i’m heavy footed it is actually showing an increase of .9 from 19.7 to 20.5 but after 170mls not really enough to convince,
Just a comment ... if you increase your tyre rolling circumference, it will also affect the odometer so using that to calculate the Miles Per Gallon would also need to be adjusted if comparing before and after.

I fitted "oversized" tyres to both my VW T4 and VW LT - only reason in my case was to lower the engine revs when crusing on the motorways and the like as both vehicles were undergeared.
If the only reason for fitting larger wheels is to be able to use higher load rated tyres, I would have thought you should be able to chose an appropriate profile so the end result is a comparable rolling circumference while still having a stronger tyre?
There are lots of on-line calculators to work this out.

Just a comment ... if you increase your tyre rolling circumference, it will also affect the odometer so using that to calculate the Miles Per Gallon would also need to be adjusted if comparing before and after.
Yes, that's a valid point. For me, it's just a slightly different calculation to divide the indicated mileage by the number of litres, using a slightly different multiplier for the conversion.

my mileage was always almost 10% out as i believe hymer as standard practise fit 15” wheels on smaller vans for torque etc this wheel change has corrected my reading to only 1% out by speedo to sat nav

I’ve used both Svtech and John Ruffles. No problem with either though John was considerably cheaper.
The problems start when you first contact DVLA.........
The best way to save fuel is to drive smoothly and anticipate what’s going on around you.
We have had 3 vans with similar sized engines. A Fiat 2.5 ( 1997) Peugeot 2.2 ( 2013) and our latest Fiat 2.3 ( 2018.) all over 3500kg and all returned about 27-28 mpg. Spirited driving and keeping to upper speed limits on motorways reduced our fuel consumption to around 26 on all 3 vans. Losing 2 mpg is nothing I will be losing sleep about. 😁

Amazingly, bearing mind all of our driving documentation is outsourced to a foreign country ;), I got my replacement V5 extremely quickly. Perhaps they though my registration number which ends in a Scottish suffix meant I wasn’t English 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back