What did you do to your van today?

Fitted a new sealed starter battery to my yogy this morning, got it at same price trade as on ebay, £69, id tried the old trick of washing the old one with soda and refilling but was just to far gone, it and a few others here will be down to the bone yard for some dosh when they reopen. :)

First chance since we came back from france etc to wash ,clean wheels n tyres ,get grit out hab step grinding when going in and out due to all the crap it got fired in
Fitted new foam to Hab seats wife to re upholster asap but tbat might be a-wheneveri due to commitments which are more important but anyways a good few hours work that was
I must try and get an invite from you, then while Linda and I are exploring Edinburgh you can clean the van and polish the wheels.😄😄😄

... Halfords have Yellow for Flatblade, Blue for Philips, Red for Pozidrive and Green for Torx
If anyone is after quality tools, the Halfords Advanced range is hard to beat, and have a lifetime warranty which is as simple to use as taking a tool if broken into any Halfords and walking out with a new one.
I quite agree with Halfords tool quality, and value for money. Their quality is equal to SnapOn.

Well as it is not raining I had beter get outside and wash another wheel. Then lay down in a dark corner for a rest . . . . :sleep:

Thinking about at some point getting my alloys refurbished but don't know whether to got for powered coating or 2 pack any suggestions Trev ?.

Finished fitting led digital two channel (L &R) pressure gauge for rear air assist.
Started filming digital thermostat to gas water heater.

Thinking about at some point getting my alloys refurbished but don't know whether to got for powered coating or 2 pack any suggestions Trev ?.
2 pack which is much cheeper and can at any time be recoated if looking tired or scuffed, £15/20 a wheel in my old biz, powder £100 a wheel in some places.

2 pack which is much cheeper and can at any time be recoated if looking tired or scuffed, £15/20 a wheel in my old biz, powder £100 a wheel in some places.
That is interesting. I was exactly the reverse.
Powercoating would be around £25-30 a wheel including the complete wheel cleanup.
Painting on the face (so not in the well at all) , the costs would be around £200 (+VAT) for 4 wheels and around £60-£80 for a single wheel (if doing a repair to match existing wheels).

Powercoating would be around £25-30 a wheel including the complete wheel cleanup.
Painting on the face (so not in the well at all) , the costs would be around £200 (+VAT) for 4 wheels and around £60-£80 for a single wheel (if doing a repair to match existing wheels).
WE were cheap and got lots of work, powder coaters here robbed folk.

Wished I'd have known where to get Powder Coating for that price I recently paid £100 per wheel , the only problem with the latter is once done if you catch one at a later date the touch up is not as easy as a Paint job, as the P/Coating is much thicker.

Wished I'd have known where to get Powder Coating for that price I recently paid £100 per wheel , the only problem with the latter is once done if you catch one at a later date the touch up is not as easy as a Paint job, as the P/Coating is much thicker.
Bloodyhell you can get a new alloy for not much more than that burge .

If chipped (and depending how chipped), you could sand down to smooth the transition (on a wheel you really cannot see this kind of effect) and then paint.
Or fill in the chip and paint. I used to use CA (as in superglue) Gel as a filler. The CA Gel with an accelerant is a perfect permanent filler for wheel repairs.
Matching the colour shouldn't be much of an issue either as you just blend and feather it in and again with wheels any slight mismatches are not seen (and the power coaters should hopefully be able to tell you the RAL code of the colour used to give a head start for matching.

Downside of Power Coating for wheels ... And it is NOT what Trev would say (he has a different opinion on its suitability) ... You have to do all the wheels together and it is not a quick job, so you need a way - and a place - to leave your vehicle on stands with no wheels for the duration, plus all the tyres need to be removed, and then put back afterwards, and of course taken to the power coaters and collected again. That £25 I mentioned was for the Power coating. Cost of the tyres removal/refitting, transportation, etc, would be on you. So maybe that is where the higher price came in if that was sorted out for you?
Last time I got some wheels power coated was on my Safari bus, but I drove it to the guy and left it parked in his workshop for a few days while he did all that stuff for me (and while in the workshop on stands, a friend came up from Manchester to do all the Daktari style striping - kill two birds with one stone :) )

Painting can be done virtually while you wait and does not need the tyre removed and so is faster (I would usually deflated and break the bead so can make a proper job of the rims - especially as usually the rim of the wheel that was the bit that needed the fixing .The typical 'chips away' type guy would not do that).

Back