What did you do to your van today?

Having to do it in stages even with Liz helping, got one side done so far.

I've done the back twice as it was mucky as hell, and put the snow foam on the front, leaving it now for 30 minutes then I'll agitate it then re-do the snow foam agitate and pressure wash off.

We were just finishing off washing the van when it started to pee down but I carried on, then the sleet came so I abandoned it and sat inside til it passed, all done good from far, but far from good, it needs someone to do a good job of valeting it and giving it a good polish.

Gave the sump and front crossmember a coat o Lanoguard as I noticed it was showing a slight spot of rust or four when I changed the oil last week.

First thing done for quite a while today ... Modified the Drivers underseat tray to allow the storage of a comprehensive toolkit.

Modifying Tray
IMG_20240417_152647_804-1536x1152.jpg

Tray back in position with Toolkit in position
IMG_20240417_153717_690-1536x1152.jpg

Detailed write-up if interested .... https://wildebus.com/posts/creating-toolbox-space-in-autotrail/

I like the comprehensive tool kit. A Dremel with a metal cutter blade. Is that to break in when you lock yourself out, or to break out when you lock yourself in? 🤔

I like the comprehensive tool kit. A Dremel with a metal cutter blade. Is that to break in when you lock yourself out, or to break out when you lock yourself in? 🤔
nah, that's to cut off peoples fingertips to stop them posting on the forum.

PS. The tray is made out of plastic so why would there be a metal blade on it?

We've driven our tin tent over to France today and are now sat in front of a roaring fire, drinking wine and really suffering !!!, although I've developed a dose of the squits, ah well, se la vie

First thing done for quite a while today ... Modified the Drivers underseat tray to allow the storage of a comprehensive toolkit.

Modifying Tray
IMG_20240417_152647_804-1536x1152.jpg

Tray back in position with Toolkit in position
IMG_20240417_153717_690-1536x1152.jpg

Detailed write-up if interested .... https://wildebus.com/posts/creating-toolbox-space-in-autotrail/
Nice modification David, I think that (or similar) will be going on my to do list.

I find that if I keep anything too large under there it can be awkward to get out (but not impossible) because the front access flap doesn’t hinge down fully (I have fettled it so it moves a bit more though). Do you have to unclip the flap to get the toolbox out or has your mod helped with this?

Nice modification David, I think that (or similar) will be going on my to do list.

I find that if I keep anything too large under there it can be awkward to get out (but not impossible) because the front access flap doesn’t hinge down fully (I have fettled it so it moves a bit more though). Do you have to unclip the flap to get the toolbox out or has your mod helped with this?
It is a close thing, but the flap can still stay in place (it would be a pain to have to remove it for sure).
Just went and took a photo to show the clearance ...
IMG_20240418_095403_895-1152x1536.jpg

It is a pretty tight thing, but doesn't snag up. I would say that if the box you chose fits on the tray and still clears the bars at the top of the base it should clear the opening with the flap dropped but still attached? With this box might have to work out some kind of pull though to make it easier to remove? (The Stanley/DeWalt box would have been MUCH easier to pull out with the front handle. Still an option :) )
FYI, the box height is 100mm (the length and width can be same as tray) and I would say that is very close to the maximum. maybe 10mm more possible but that could make the extraction more problematical? I was fortunate that both my options I had already happened to be just the right size.
Checking just now, I think I could have cut the front so the lip was around 10-15mm higher which would have secured the box more but I can't see it jumping out with the lip that is in there.

It is a close thing, but the flap can still stay in place (it would be a pain to have to remove it for sure).

It is a pretty tight thing, but doesn't snag up. I would say that if the box you chose fits on the tray and still clears the bars at the top of the base it should clear the opening with the flap dropped but still attached? With this box might have to work out some kind of pull though to make it easier to remove? (The Stanley/DeWalt box would have been MUCH easier to pull out with the front handle. Still an option :) )
FYI, the box height is 100mm (the length and width can be same as tray) and I would say that is very close to the maximum. maybe 10mm more possible but that could make the extraction more problematical? I was fortunate that both my options I had already happened to be just the right size.
Checking just now, I think I could have cut the front so the lip was around 10-15mm higher which would have secured the box more but I can't see it jumping out with the lip that is in there.
Thanks David, definatley going on my to do list :)

PS. The tray is made out of plastic so why would there be a metal blade on it?
Because he couldn't be bothered to search his garage for the plastic blade and a metal cutter will work very nicely on plastic. QED.
Talking of fingers and blades, I just bought a 1999 A/S from a chap who had chopped the ends of two of his fingers off using a circular saw. He had cleaned the blood off the upholstery, in case you are wondering . . . :eek: (y)

Re your final sentence, David. I have a full box of sockets, ratchets etc (with an ancient bit of carpet copydexed underneath c. 30 years ago). The socket set is just shoved into the driver's seat tray (elektroblok on passenger side), and has travelled like that for almost 17000 miles without moving, including round the large French and Spanish roundabouts that make the front suspension yaw alarmingly!

Steve

Because he couldn't be bothered to search his garage for the plastic blade and a metal cutter will work very nicely on plastic. QED.
Talking of fingers and blades, I just bought a 1999 A/S from a chap who had chopped the ends of two of his fingers off using a circular saw. He had cleaned the blood off the upholstery, in case you are wondering . . . :eek: (y)
Maybe 'he' knows where to get the right blades and knows just where they are kept?
FWIW, if you use one of the Dremel metal blades on the wrong type of plastic, they do not work very nicely on plastic at all and get messed up.

Just got home from a few days in Wales after our last trip in the Eldiss as we pick up the Burstner on Tuesday 🤞🤞

Back