What did you do to your van today?

Should have been heading off to Staffordshire but postponed until next week due to the weather, went into the van to unload the fridge, pump running and frost stat triggered on hot water dump valve, hopefully as water was still draining the pump will be ok. Will be testing to make sure next week 🤔🤔
Checked out the van for a departure on Thursday, all good no leaks 🎉🎉🤣

Maybe it is like Homer Simpson thinks? He has worked out there is only so much the brain can remember to do. When he learned how to drink 8 pints of beer, he forgot how to drive.

The van had not moved a wheel since October. Went out yesterday to see if it would start and move (I'd left the handbrake on - I know).
Started at first turn. Handbrake off. Brakes not stuck on. All good.
Decided to keep the van as there is a spot on the local storage place for me when I sell this house. Too much hastle changing both home and van at the same time.

Decided to reformica the bathroom shelf and front panel as I hated the shitty brown formica the wife picked lolol.It was a bit of a bugger to get to bits but gotthere in the end now ihave to wait for new tap to come on Monday but all the hard work is done .20230316_090329.jpg20230316_090307.jpg20230316_090248.jpg20230316_124459.jpg

Cleaned the solar panels and washed the mud off the wheels and sprayed them with Gordon's magic spray, thanks Gordon, the mud was from Alvor, hopefully no more rain.
Now just chilling in the sunshine.
Glad I didn’t weaken and clean Februarys mud and road grime off mine, March rain has done a reasonable job of it 👍😁

Autotrail splash back .
Took the poorly fitted one off which was done under warranty.
There motto if tight ram it in so it buckles and pops off first time I put oven on.
Trimed down giving space to expand and fit ..
Proper job .

Caravan fitter I've shit better ...

Autotrail splash back .
Took the poorly fitted one off which was done under warranty.
There motto if tight ram it in so it buckles and pops off first time I put oven on.
Trimed down giving space to expand and fit ..
Proper job .

Caravan fitter I've shit better ...
My dear old Dad used to use that expression, but would embellish it with, 'He'd never make a Caravan Fitter as long as he has a hole up his rear end' [Dad's expletive removed ...], which I took to mean that the individual concerned had limited potential for improvement :unsure:

Steve

My dear old Dad used to use that expression, but would embellish it with, 'He'd never make a Caravan Fitter as long as he has a hole up his rear end' [Dad's expletive removed ...], which I took to mean that the individual concerned had limited potential for improvement :unsure:

Steve
In my first employ one of my work colleagues was told by the Technical Manager that he would never make an engineer for as long as long as he had an orifice in his derriere, he only managed to become a senior engineer at Southern Electric!!!

In my first employ one of my work colleagues was told by the Technical Manager that he would never make an engineer for as long as long as he had an orifice in his derriere, he only managed to become a senior engineer at Southern Electric!!!
Dad ran away from home 3 times whilst still underage, trying to join the Army in the 1930s, and I suspect that the orifice/derriere critique hailed from that background, including Dad's other [NCO?]advice when I told him I had been made a Branch Manager. 'Get in there first thing and tell them, 'My name's March, spelled B.A.S.T.A.R.D.' ... I wonder if that approach might have worked ... :giggle:

Steve

Steve how did you descale you waterheater please ?
Hi Jeff,

I used Puritabs Descaling Solution [DScale] from Cleantabs, link Waterheater Descale, having checked with them that it would be a safe product [01728 603990 or info@cleantabs.co.uk] I ran the descaler solution to all taps and the shower head, because there was no evidence that the heater had ever been treated in its 6 years life. IIRC, I heated the water for about 30 mins or so to get the temperature to 60 degrees, and then left it for about a further 1/2 hour after switching the heater off to allow the residual heat to raise the water temperature to 70 degrees and then left the solution to do its work [I think I posted details at the time; I know I sterilised the freshwater tank weekend 1 and did the descaling the following weekend, so I'm in danger of mixing the processes together]! I remember that it took about 30 minutes to flush all taps and the showerhead through to remove all traces of the descaler, although I was being very cautious, bearing in mind that the family jewels would be using the shower and I didn't want to risk acid based products on them!

Let me leave this post here for now, as a starter,Jeff, and I'll try to find my original post on the processes. I'll either edit this post, or, if I miss the deadline for alterations, I post a further reply, linking back to this post [hope that makes sense!]

Steve

EDIT from 13 Nov 22 Post [4421?] 'What did you do to your Van Today?' Thread: I'll try to find the first part of the process Post from 12th November for completeness. Below refers to the following day to flush the waterheater, taps and showerhead to remove any calcium/acid residue!

Finished off the Water Heater and Taps descale. Mild panic when there was no initial rush of spluttering air and water at any of the taps or at the shower head. but a further 25 litres of water into the tank solved the problem. Leaving the water. warmed to 'Eco' setting in the system for a wee while to try to pick up any residual bits of calcium on the final flush as well as washing clear any residues of the acid solution used to descale ...
''Warning! Wear gloves when using the solution and avoid contact with skin, wash copiously with water' etc etc. Then use the system to wash your hands or have a shower ... :oops:

EDIT 2 from 12 Nov 22 Post 24 Motorhome Electrical Questions: Mr Laird

Been burning some lpg this morning to warm the water in the water heater as the preliminary to descaling the Truma and the shower/taps. Using the Puriclean DScale and checked with their Technical Staff that hot water makes the descaling more effective, but no need to keep the heat on once the boiler is warm. Need to leave the system for at least another hour before flushing with cold water (2 more hours would be better. but daylight will be gone by then!)

EDIT 2 needs to be read before EDIT 1 to get the sequencing right

Steve

Last edited:
I was told put cup full of white wine vinegar and enough water to fill boiler.
Heat it up leave 2 hr then empty .rinse rinse rinse.
I think the guy was joking.

Back