What did you do to your van today?

Must have a sticky caliper there.
I had something similar on my VW T4. Had a record of the pads being replaced just a year earlier and I was getting a "low brake pad" warning light.
On the T4, the wiring for the brake pads actually ages badly, giving false warnings so I ignored it (as pads only a year old). When I got round to looking, found it was real! one pad had worn down to the sensor Not as bad as yours there, but it was a genuine warning.

Kev, if all you had done was replacement pads fitted, keep an eye on them as you may well get the same uneven wear on the new set if it is a sticky caliper.
FWIW, on the aforementioned T4, I decided to just buy new calipers (decided to get both sides) and slider pins to eliminate the problem. Found parts were a very reasonable £53 per caliper and around £10 for a set of slider pins for the pair. Made sense to replace them both at that price and there were no labour costs.
The biggest garage around here fitted the last set, this little garage seemed more on top of the job I was there the whole time, the last ones were really cheap, no anti squeal shim, no grease on the back of the pad or the sliding part and the brakes grabbed really hard ever since despite taking it back in to find out why we eventually kicked them into touch as they were taking the piss.

The biggest garage around here fitted the last set, this little garage seemed more on top of the job I was there the whole time, the last ones were really cheap, no anti squeal shim, no grease on the back of the pad or the sliding part and the brakes grabbed really hard ever since despite taking it back in to find out why we eventually kicked them into touch as they were taking the piss.
Something that might be of interest to think about .....
Aftermarket TPMS systems (and some OEM ones for that matter) have two functions - monitoring the Tyre Pressures of course, but also monitoring the Temperatures. When you get a binding brake like you had, that would generate a fair amount of heat on the wheel and you would find the TPMS system would show an increased temperature for that wheel before it might becomes evident by other ways like burny brake smells!
They become a very useful diagnostic tool as well as keeping an eye on the pressures.

If you have not added TPMS on your Motorhome, I would really recommend it.

I bought the same one after buying a set which didn't have the pressure range for a van. Many on ebay top out at 3.5bar and some others claim higher but as I found, do not have the required range...
Jansite model has been great👍
Caveat emptor!
K ;)

Last edited:
interestingly, my current TPMS system is also a Jansite branded system (https://amzn.to/40qUhpx)

But rather than having a display like that, mine talk to the wheel sensors via a USB connection and is setup on the 'infotainment' system
61GMezbkirL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I like it as it eliminates another separate screen and is also nice and large to view.

I see they did not de scale the discs, must be only me does proper jobs, prob why im poor.

I read on here (I think) about the virtues of "Wet and Forget" on the roof of the motorhome and rushed out to get some 🏎️
Pleased to say that around 5 years later, I finally got round to applying it yesterday 🤡
This is strange as I Finally got round to applying the wet and forget we bought last summer to the van yesterday aswell.

Lots of looking and measuring to see if a Garmin BC40 [2nd] low level reversing camera will fit in the number plate area before I waste money by placing the order. The original wired camera is fine, but the bikes and bike cover render it useless for parking in less than a 30-40 feet space, because the lens has to be raised towards the heavens. It is a 'solve one problem and create another'!

One option is to put the bikes on the Rack and fit the Cover; then get some 'T Track' bolts to slide along the underside of the bike wheel rails, cover most of the protruding thread with some aluminium sleeving that I have kicking around, and then use a [kicking around] offcut of L profile aluminium to bolt on to the bottom of the T Track bolts, flat face outermost, to give a flat surface for bolting on the camera. Need to have a wee play!

Steve

Something that might be of interest to think about .....
Aftermarket TPMS systems (and some OEM ones for that matter) have two functions - monitoring the Tyre Pressures of course, but also monitoring the Temperatures. When you get a binding brake like you had, that would generate a fair amount of heat on the wheel and you would find the TPMS system would show an increased temperature for that wheel before it might becomes evident by other ways like burny brake smells!
They become a very useful diagnostic tool as well as keeping an eye on the pressures.

If you have not added TPMS on your Motorhome, I would really recommend it.
too spensive for me.

As an ex driver I am in the habit of walking round and visually checking the tyres getting in or out every time except in awful weather of course, then I jsut look on my way to it.

Not as good as a monitor but better than what most people probably do,

went out today in the van :D
well, short drive to a local motor part factors as car playing up following service a week ago :( why do things break immediately after you do something that is meant to be good for them??
Anyway. New part bought and fitted and seems to be working now. Garage wanted £80 to replace sensor. Bought from Factors for £13 and took around 5 minutes to actually find where it was in the engine bay and swap it over.

Back