What Diesel

I can remember diesel being like treacle the modern diesel is so much thinner more refined with more chemicals to thin it for modern high pressure injection systems. But in my book all diesel is the same if its oily and it burns then it’s diesel and gose in the tank all the fancy stuff on the four court is just a way to boost there sales and separate you from an extra couple of Bob old diesels would run on waste oil mixed with paraffin with a drop of petrol to make it go boom. Think I remember a fairytale about an old scotch laird who ran his Rolls Royce on 12 year old single malts as it ran smoother ?

Yep I remember dispensing a shot of 'Redex Upper Cylinder Lubricant' to those discerning punters that requested it when I was sent to work the pumps! Christ that was soooo long ago...

in my work van I use all types mainly supermarket fuel but every 3 fuel up I use a recognised brand . And it’s no harm to throw in a additive helps clean out the egr valve and injection system ,

I can remember diesel being like treacle the modern diesel is so much thinner more refined with more chemicals to thin it for modern high pressure injection systems. But in my book all diesel is the same if its oily and it burns then it’s diesel and gose in the tank all the fancy stuff on the four court is just a way to boost there sales and separate you from an extra couple of Bob old diesels would run on waste oil mixed with paraffin with a drop of petrol to make it go boom. Think I remember a fairytale about an old scotch laird who ran his Rolls Royce on 12 year old single malts as it ran smoother ?
The way fuel prices are going it might be cheaper to run on whisky in the future. ???

Wow Del you have a controversial thread running :)

Oops clicked post by mistake, my two penneth :)

Re Redex, my first car was a Honda Civic back in 78 (bikes before) and it ran okay for a little auto. We were due to go to Cornwall for a fortnights holiday with mates so I get some reflex and give it a treatment. Luckily I did this a couple of weeks before we were due to leave as it started smoking like made. Turned out it had a broken piston ring and previous owner had used piston stop to seal it up. So I KNOW Redex does clean out the workings. Like Oppy I will buy some when I see it on offer, (last lot from Costco) and use now and then. Maybe why I get such good mpg but may not, either way it will mean a cleaner engine.

I know nothing about additives in diesel but a snippet about petrol. When I was in the car club some of the guys were extreme modders and a few of them had their engines remapped on rolling roads. They did quite a bit of testing with different fuels and settled on remapping to Shell V Power. They were getting a good 5bhp by using this with the remap but I think they actually lost a little if they used plain petrol. So it did make a difference but those 5 horses were not much to what their engines were pushing out. Would have been better spending out on water injection.

Anyone who had an old two stroke will know foggy misty mornings were the best additive and your bike would go like stink lol

When I had my Merc based mh I'd put premium diesel in about every 3rd tankful,I'm certain it ran better and it probably helped clean deposits from the engine,now I've got a truck I just put in whatever is cheapest,the big old lumps seem a lot more forgiving than newer engines with all the associated environmental controls.

I’ll agree with a part of what Nabsim has mentioned.

When I had my bike remapped after a little light tuning work, and to run it on nitrous as well, it was set up with Shell V-Power. It contains extra oxygen, when supplied by a filling station that has a good turnover of the stuff, left to stand it degrades and isn’t quite as good.

In view of all the replies on here I have decided that from my next fill I’ll start using the “good” stuff in my car and monitor exactly how well it performs on it. I have kept a fuel use record on it since I got it a year ago and so I know what to expect.

It has been interesting reading this thread. I have just returned from France and Spain. While driving and filling up in France I was averaging 32mpg. As soon as I filled up in Spain using their standard diesel the consumption dropped to 28mpg. Now I am back in the UK it is back up to 32mpg. I thought maybe it was reading too much into it, but maybe not

In my 'umble opinion for what it's worth, there is an international standard (I may of course be wrong---again!) and the likes of Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's etc. do not have their own refineries-----------------------they buy it from the major companies. And like a previous thread on the WC site regarding utility suppliers, the stuff is the same despite claims to the contrary, they may charge 20p a litre more and you may feel better for it, but as long as your engine is of the suck, bang, blow variety the blessed stuff is the same
Suck bang blow, now theres a good old VM term

It has been interesting reading this thread. I have just returned from France and Spain. While driving and filling up in France I was averaging 32mpg. As soon as I filled up in Spain using their standard diesel the consumption dropped to 28mpg. Now I am back in the UK it is back up to 32mpg. I thought maybe it was reading too much into it, but maybe not

I keep a running average on my 2016 van. It has generally been averaging 28.3 mpg over the last year. It has 27000 miles on the clock. We are now in Portugal (peso da regua Aire tonight) but I did notice after travelling through Spain, San Sebastion, Valladolid, Zamora and Chaves (Portugal) that my running average has dropped to 27.7

I reckon it is more than usual motorway runs at higher speeds and of course all those hills, mountains, scary viaducts etc. Hardly get using cruise control on the northern Spain motorways.

Davy

Mpg will be lower here in N Ireland because of hills and twisty roads,now if tested in holland im sure a better figure would be obtained.

I wonder if you got the better mpg due to the atmospheric conditions rather than the fuel? Engines should produce better mpg in colder wetter weather with dense air than hot dry conditions with thinner air... just a thought!..

i have a very small motorhome , drove around cornwall using Sainsburys diesel (nectar points) averaged 54 mpg. but on the way home it got very low as i hit plymouth so went into plymouth and got diesel from asda when i next filled it (at Sainsburys) it worked out at 42mpg SO.... i spent the next six months trying all the different garages fuel Sainsburys came out top then BP then shell and Esso, Tesco and asda came last apart from one garage in wales which barely made 40mpg I have a different camper now so the car still gets Sainsburys fuel but the camper does better on BP

Ok
On standard diesel I get 28 to 30mpg
Tank about 1/4 full on 5th June 38 litres to full with Shell top grade
Travelled 195 miles and topped up again 32.1 mpg but easy on fuel motorway driving
Will keep using the higher quality fuel for a couple of months to see what happens.
The engine does seem to run really smoothly..I has always been good and got even better last year following a new cambelt and associated parts.
Maybe a 10% increase but far too early to verify !

By neighbour worked at a big refinery on Canvey Island as a senior manager. He told me that All Diesel HAS to meet the same basic requirements. The Premium fuels have additional additives that help to keep the injectors clean, provide additional lubrication for the fuel pump and also improve the combustion of the fuel.

This does give better performance and fuel economy. ( It is often recommended that you shoul use a tankfull before an MOT.) Some people use a tankfull, say every 10th time which gives much of the benefit without the full extra cost.

When I did an Isstitute of Advanced Motorists course and test a few years ago my instructor ran a small delivery company useing a variety of vans the same size as our motor homes. He wanted to test the benefits of Premium fuels and so got half of his drivers to use Premium fuels, and the other half the cheapest they could find for a month, they he told them to switch to the other fuel type. This meant that the driver style, routes and vehicles were given a fair test.

Result. Although the Premium fuel was more expensive as it gave better economy.
It was worth paying 15p a litre extra.

By neighbour worked at a big refinery on Canvey Island as a senior manager. He told me that All Diesel HAS to meet the same basic requirements. The Premium fuels have additional additives that help to keep the injectors clean, provide additional lubrication for the fuel pump and also improve the combustion of the fuel.

This does give better performance and fuel economy. ( It is often recommended that you shoul use a tankfull before an MOT.) Some people use a tankfull, say every 10th time which gives much of the benefit without the full extra cost.

When I did an Isstitute of Advanced Motorists course and test a few years ago my instructor ran a small delivery company useing a variety of vans the same size as our motor homes. He wanted to test the benefits of Premium fuels and so got half of his drivers to use Premium fuels, and the other half the cheapest they could find for a month, they he told them to switch to the other fuel type. This meant that the driver style, routes and vehicles were given a fair test.

Result. Although the Premium fuel was more expensive as it gave better economy.
It was worth paying 15p a litre extra.
Thankyou..
Will check my consumption after 4refills now we are travelling that will be 1month.
if 10percent will use premium fuel all the time.
If not then "plain one pearl one"

My late husband did a comparison on the Shogun and our little Suzuki. He compared ordinary Shell and premium Shell (refused to use supermarket fuel). The extra cost was outweighed by the extra milage. Both vehicles also seemed to run better.

My late husband did a comparison on the Shogun and our little Suzuki. He compared ordinary Shell and premium Shell (refused to use supermarket fuel). The extra cost was outweighed by the extra milage. Both vehicles also seemed to run better.
Yes smoother running so even if fuel consumption does not quite pay for the extra cost still worth it IMO

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back