What Diesel

Is that conclusive then? I wouldn’t think so for a minute.
Lets have a look at supermarket fuel and diy additives. And compare that.

Ref running smoother, I used to add 1:200 of low ash two stroke oil to the diesel in my old Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD. Found this tip on a Landrover site. Not sure modern diesels would need or like this?
When my fuel was paid for I used BP Ultimate and got a better consumption which covered the extra cost. But when I had a Scooby Imprezza turbo the only stuff it ran well on was Shell V Power. Felt like a bag of hammers if I had to use regular petrol.
K;)

I also experimented with adding millers diesel additive on the Pajero instead of BP Ultimate and it did run well but by the time you added the cost of the additive to the fuel you might as well pay for the BP a Ultimate... Which I did.
In those days I was doing a regular commute from Northumberland to Huddersfield twice a week so I could do realistic comparisons. Bloody intergalactic mileage too... The first Pajero had 264000 miles on the clock when I changed it! Never missed a beat ( the second one had 180000 ok but the third one snapped the cam chain at 165000 :oops: )
K ;)

I tried a full tank once. Think it may have been 10% more economical and maybe more go, but could have been phsychological!!!
Have said I will use a tank now and again to look after my baby!!
Just dreaming of a TR6 one day that will get it all the time!!!???
Your TR6 will smoke like hell if you put it in the tank, I know they were petrol only.

Never mind fuel comparisons, the best thing for MPG is to check your tyre pressure regularly.

Latest fill up yesterday 10 gallons (well 99%) 325 miles
I am sure all can work that out.
This fill up was standard diesel (no premier available) and the price was £1.28 per litre (Diesel cheaper in France @ supermarkets).
Will check again. Premium diesel not always available but I plan to use it as I can for the other benefits.
I guess these benefits will not be eroded by the odd tank of standard diesel

Last edited:
I think I’ve managed to work that out.
I only dream of getting that kind of mpg.

Yes ..We are very happy with it.
I think these are the reasons
A Six forward gears
B A light right foot and looking ahead.
C Mainly cruising at 50 to 55 mph
D a Tunit device set on medium economy
E Renault engine 2.5 Dci

Yes ..We are very happy with it.
I think these are the reasons
A Six forward gears
B A light right foot and looking ahead.
C Mainly cruising at 50 to 55 mph
D a Tunit device set on medium economy
E Renault engine 2.5 Dci

There must be an F. You’ve gone through A to E. None of that will give you 325 mpg. Whatever E is, market it, you’ll be a millionaire in no time, and the knighthood won’t be far behind.

I have corrected the post to read ( as it should have done)
325 miles and 10 gallons = 32.5 mpg

E is available here

SEEMS to help

Sorry for the wind up. We all read what we “think” we wrote. Others simply don’t check.
You’ve got to admit 0.87 litres per km is something special.

I did this comparison over the past 3 weeks away to N Scotland and back, I only ever buy supermarket diesel fuel and did so throughout the early holiday and averaged 32.8,lots of M ways, A roads and some even single track. Around mid 2nd week I changed to garage fuel exclusively, not the expensive super stuff just the normal fuel, mostly Esso but of course usually 3p or more expensive than Asda, this stuff returned 35.1 for the 2nd half of the trip, not scientific I know but the best I've ever returned, this with a Euro6 Relay.BTW the cheapest I saw on the whole trip was near Ullapool at 1.24.9 a litre which I though was bizarre.

Go to a rolling road and test each fuel and you will see what they give. It’s almost impossible to get results any other way unless you do exactly the same trips in same road conditions filling at same pump in same weather conditions.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back