What do you use in your toilet?

Caz;n5470 said:
Tesco bio tablets in the bottom, water to flush..

The main problem with the blue stuff is the smell of the blue stuff itself, before anything gets added to it, and the blue stain it leaves on anything it comes into contact with. Horrible stuff.

I agree about the stains Caz! I used to triple-bag the bottle of blue in the van bathroom but it still managed to escape and decorate the inside of the cupboard and 8 out of 10 fingers :mad:
Now I use bio tablets/gel/liquid... whatever's on offer. As Tim said, it takes a while to settle the cassette into the new regime but all's well now.

Having said all that, I still love the smell of the blue stuff... reminds me of every camping holiday I've ever had through my life :smile:

The best way is to use public toilets or pub toilets. It that's not possible knock on the van next door and ask can you borrow theres. For some reason you get a lot of abuse, so I then have to perch on the throne. I then usually use the Aldi bio sachets. But when I bought this van it had a load of bluey greeny stuff in it which I have decided to use up. Goodness its hard being a traveler in times of need.
.... Tom .....

Own label blue from local dealer or Aldi blue or green when they have it.

Lidl Formil liquid - imperial slosh in UK, Metric slosh in Europe. Usually a capful of Comfort or Lenor as well to enhance the flavour. As others have said, handy for washing as well.

Another advantage is Lidl or Aldi all over in the UK and Europe so no problem restocking. Usually carry a spare lip seal as well when across the water for a while. Only replaced once in 5 years so not a major problem.

Small but important tip. If heading up mountains, crack open the cassette beforehand to relieve the air pressure. Speaking from personal experience, needed to go at the car park at the top, lever seemed to be stuck so used a bit more welly. Whoosh - a faceful of blue which although cleaned off starting stinging and had to stop and wash it off properly. Fortunately the cassette had been emptied before we set off otherwise.....

Cheers,
Alan

I use this stuff...

http://www.onechem.eu/onechem-outdoor-leisure/cassette-toilet/

40 doses for around a tenner.

Graham
bog.gif

Admin;n3812 said:
What do you use in your toilet to keep the nasty smells away?

I use Thetford Aqua Kem Green Sachets

We have started using these sachets this year.Much more convenient,and seems to make
the loo fresher!

We've just used Aldi bio washing blocks since we changed from an RV. Two blocks at a time, might be slight overkill but it's cheap enough. haven't noticed a smell when emptying, even in the south of France in summer.

Malcolm

We tried Bio washing tablets and liquids. Three months from July to September. You guys are fooling yourselves with the moneysaving. It stinks unless emptied every day or another dose added every day. We gave it a very good go, but especially in the hot weather, bloody horrid!

And don't get me started on those very nasty SOG units! Maybe ok IN the van, just don't park downwind! It would seem the advertising again has been very good, but no one seems to change the filters as they should. The more it is used, the more frequent it must be changed. But get the smell out of your van, donate it to those around! (We were eating outside at the time and I can tell you, I am not easily put off my food...

SOG unit and fabric softener to reduce any problems when emptying. And I change the filter regularly - can often be seen sniffing at my cassette door checking for pongs.

Rumour;n12609 said:
We tried Bio washing tablets and liquids. Three months from July to September. You guys are fooling yourselves with the moneysaving. It stinks unless emptied every day or another dose added every day. We gave it a very good go, but especially in the hot weather, bloody horrid!

And don't get me started on those very nasty SOG units! Maybe ok IN the van, just don't park downwind! It would seem the advertising again has been very good, but no one seems to change the filters as they should. The more it is used, the more frequent it must be changed. But get the smell out of your van, donate it to those around! (We were eating outside at the time and I can tell you, I am not easily put off my food...

I totally agree as have smelt some people's vans and yes they stink but they insist it works?

We used Tesco Bio Liquid but have also used other brands while in Spain but usually reverted to Tesco brand.

Banned member;n12696 said:
I totally agree as have smelt some people's vans and yes they stink but they insist it works?

Mine does work. You're welcome to sniff at my cassette door any time.

More seriously though I have experienced what you mean from other vans. Crowded aires are the most likely spots. SOGs don't cost much to maintain but
mine isn't there to save me money, my 'regime' is about reducing odours without too much fuss.

If.......we have the convenience of a CDP near we don't use anything but empty daily. No smell, no chemicals, no cost, no sweat.
Otherwise we use cheapest 'own brand' additive which seem to work as good as any of the expensive ones.
Have tried bio detergent, fooled ourselves then admitted it didn't work.
Tried Bio-magic. Totally useless unless you're only emptying on a monthly basis.

Last edited:
Campervanannie;n3822 said:
Cola and before you guys start I don't mean recycled vodka and coke I just pour a 1.5 litres of cheap coke in my toilet it is a great descaler

Good idea saves having to drink the awfull stuff

GMJ;n12825 said:
I am surprised more folk don't use this. It's green and bio-friendly plus stops nasty niffs and is easy to use. Relatively cheap and easy to use.

Graham
smile.gif

We've used that Onechem product for a couple of years and have been pleased with its performance.
Normally bought from the Range but they haven't got their camping gear in stock yet.

I've just bought an identical product with a Quest brand label from Go Outdoors ( although it isn't shown on Quest's website)

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back