What has been the coldest you have wild camped in the UK?

runnach

With the cold weather, -4c here at the moment, had me reflecting back Easter 2014, I think? ( I had the old Dethleffs Globetrotter at the time ) and our dog was a pup.

What has been the coldest UK sleep in your camper, motorhome, or whatever you use to get out and about?

Was at Loch Morlich Aviemore, bottom area of CP at the boat shed. That night temperature dropped to -12c. Anyone below -12c?

Incidentally, that evening I got chatting to I think four Edinburgh Uni Students who were touring in a transit van, which was a bare transit van, they were faffing with thin tarpaulin to line their sleep area, with a hope for a warmer overnight sleep, they talked about using the camp cooker to heat the van when required, I made them aware the dangers of CO poisoning using camp cooker, they didn't know what I was talking about. In the morning I checked they were ok, which they were.

You beat me to it Trev.

Glenbrittle on Skye. I didn't have the means to know the temperature with me back in those days, but when we woke up in our Vango Force Ten we found it had snowed throughout the night too.

She still married me, silly girl. 😄

I forgot to mention within post 1, the fringes of the Loch were frozen, not thick enough to safely walk on.

You beat me to it Trev.

Glenbrittle on Skye. I didn't have the means to know the temperature with me back in those days, but when we woke up in our Vango Force Ten we found it had snowed throughout the night too.

Fair do's not knowing the temperature, your good lady must have been impressed you still managed to stand to attention despite the cold, hence her saying YES...........YES........................YES................... 😄

I have no idea of the actual temperature but it was in the Hebrides when the beastie from the eastie was doing his best driving up past frozen lochs and horizontal snow quite scary at the time.

Somewhere in France as the beastie from the eastie struck think it was -10°c outside. Nice and snug inside though.
EDIT:-
Sorry, just noticed the U.K. bit.

Cold van.jpg

-12c in glen Torridon 3 years ago.
Seen the fringes of the sea frozen on numerous occasions when wild fowling on the Solway. I can still visualise my black lab sitting in a hide after retrieving a greylag goose and he started to change colour to white as his coat ws soaking wet and froze.
I had my batteries fail in my Devon Tempest approx 5 years ago again in January when travelling home from Melon Udrigle again in my Devon Tempest. Parked up for the night at Loch Tulla view point and couldn't run the Truma. Woke up to the dogs bowl of water frozen solid. Fortunately had a 4 season down sleeping bag so was as warm as toast.

Last edited:
In the driveway during the beast from the east went out to the van for something found a nice bottle that I stashed out there and got wrecked fell asleep woke up like a frozen snorter.
Inkaholic, serves you right. 😂

Funnily enough our coldest was at Aviemore. We were at the Rothiemurchus site in our first van (Burstner i681) and although we had EHU I hadn’t put the heating on overnight. Woke to the van sitting on a pool of sheet ice as the frost protection valve had opened and dumped all the water - can’t remember the temperature but at least -10 I reckon. Couldn’t fill again as all site taps were frozen so moved down to the Old Bridge Inn the next night so we managed to eat and drink!!

We did -5c (won't let me do the degree symbol on this forum) on Hardknotts pass in 2013, it was very well insulated in the self build and didn't realise how cold it had got until I opened the cab curtains.

Somewhere in France as the beastie from the eastie struck think it was -10°c outside. Nice and snug inside though.
EDIT:-
Sorry, just noticed the U.K. bit.

View attachment 71155
I had the same icicle below my Truma heater outlet this last thurday night, -7 at Fromebridge Mill. It was hanging from the cassette flap in the van side. For a moment I thought the bog was leaking.

Don't know the year but somewhare round 2012 - 2014 Wild camping had a small meet on top of shap. We all parked in nearby laybys on the M6 at about this time of year. We was spending the night in a small Bothy which I think Billy Banjo owned. We had a good night with music and food in the Bothy but when we went back to the vans it was sheeting it down sideways with snow and wind. I had an old Burstner on an even older Talbot express base at the time. In the night the van was leaning with the wind snow coming through the joints in the door and windows and it kept blowing the old Truma gas fire out. I thought I was going to die of exposure. Don't know the temp, but next day I made a dash for Ribblehead and parked in the Station pub car park. It was no better weather there but was sheltered in the pub car park. Also could enjoy a few pints round the pub fire. It wasn't long before the car park was full of more escapees from the Bothy. We stayed there a good few enjoyable nights. I imagine others could be reading this who was also there.
.... Tom ....

You beat me to it Trev.

Mine too was at Glenbrittle on Skye, -5c between Christmas and New Year think it was 2003, stayed there 2 nights before going to Sligachan Hotel for New Years eve.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back