What has been the coldest you have wild camped in the UK?

A quick google shows.…
The coldest temperatureever recorded in Scotland and the United Kingdom was on January 10, 1982, and December 30, 1995, in the Grampian village of Braemar and Altnaharra in the Highlands. According to the Met Office, the temperatures recorded in these two locations was a shocking -27.2C (-17F).6
I well remember the night of December 30th 1995. We live relatively near Braemar and our temperature went down to -25. We were at a party fairly close by and had driven there in Sue‘s Jeep Cherokee. When we left the party in the early hours the temperature in the Jeep read “error”! Funnily enough I had a Mitsubishi Pajero (imported from Norway so not a Shogun) and when we got home I checked it’s temperature reading which gave a correct reading of -25!!
My folks were up baby sitting for us and we had no water in our
house as the water main (some 3 ft underground) outside had frozen. I remember that eventually the water board managed to get a few standpipes in the street and get them running.
Braemar was so cold that the Main Street had more red deer than people roaming around as they had come down from the hills for food.

I well remember the night of December 30th 1995. We live relatively near Braemar and our temperature went down to -25. We were at a party fairly close by and had driven there in Sue‘s Jeep Cherokee. When we left the party in the early hours the temperature in the Jeep read “error”! Funnily enough I had a Mitsubishi Pajero (imported from Norway so not a Shogun) and when we got home I checked it’s temperature reading which gave a correct reading of -25!!
My folks were up baby sitting for us and we had no water in our
house as the water main (some 3 ft underground) outside had frozen. I remember that eventually the water board managed to get a few standpipes in the street and get them running.
Braemar was so cold that the Main Street had more red deer than people roaming around as they had come down from the hills for food.
I recall that winter of 1995 well Tony. I made a few bob as getting hold of a plumber was a nightmare as there were burst pipes a plenty. I fixed my mums friends internal burst CW pipe, then the word got out. No rip off prices, material and travel cost with a wee add on for me.

Not much diving that winter!!!

That bothy was, I think, an ex repeater building on the London to Glasgow trunk telephone cable. Was Whitevan Woman involved in that gathering?

Cheers

H
Hi 'Winks, yes WVW (Jess) was there along with a few other older members like Oldish Hippy, Mary Mac, Lotus Ann, Carol, Glen and Jo. ETC..
.... Tom ....

Reading an article about the 2018 Beast from the East storm. Forecasters predicting a Beast 2 around Feb 8th, watch this space?

I don’t know if it is because I lived in the Peak District for 40 years or not but I think of all these named storm events the same as I do fake news. Maybe it’s because these days the winters aren’t as severe as they were even in my lifetime I don’t know. To my mind the majority of these events are just what we used to call Winter. Yes an odd exception here and there but that’s the nature of weather.
A lot of the flooding these days has been caused by folks building as much as they can wherever they can with no thought (or did think and disregarded) where the run off water would go. Should be green roofs on majority of buildings and meadow flowers planted on all verges as a minimum

Maybe, maybe not, Neil. Was about predictions doing the rounds, again, watch this space.

The sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) is now "confirmed" and occurs when temperatures in the stratosphere increase and cold air descends rapidly in the polar vortex.

Maybe, maybe not, Neil. Was about predictions doing the rounds, again, watch this space.

The sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) is now "confirmed" and occurs when temperatures in the stratosphere increase and cold air descends rapidly in the polar vortex.
Them words are too big Terry, can I have it in plain English please 😂😂😂👍

Think of a bad curry Neil, and the catastrophic damage that will occur 😂

You beat me to it Trev.

Glenbrittle on Skye. I didn't have the means to know the temperature with me back in those days, but when we woke up in our Vango Force Ten we found it had snowed throughout the night too.

She still married me, silly girl. 😄
Me too. Cwm Idwyll in February. Little triangular tent, snowed heavily first half of the night, second half rapid thaw, soggy hillside poured downhill through the tent, waterspouts through the groundsheet, nevertheless she came again…55 years later and she’s still here!

Ahhh, The Slabs. I enjoyed "Tennis Shoe" but I'd have enjoyed it more if I could have found some form of protection as I lead the first couple of pitches. 😳

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back