What has been the coldest you have wild camped in the UK?

Don't know the year but somewhare round 2012 - 2014 Wild camping had a small meet on top of shap. We all parked in nearby laybys on the M6 at about this time of year. We was spending the night in a small Bothy which I think Billy Banjo owned. We had a good night with music and food in the Bothy but when we went back to the vans it was sheeting it down sideways with snow and wind. I had an old Burstner on an even older Talbot express base at the time. In the night the van was leaning with the wind snow coming through the joints in the door and windows and it kept blowing the old Truma gas fire out. I thought I was going to die of exposure. Don't know the temp, but next day I made a dash for Ribblehead and parked in the Station pub car park. It was no better weather there but was sheltered in the pub car park. Also could enjoy a few pints round the pub fire. It wasn't long before the car park was full of more escapees from the Bothy. We stayed there a good few enjoyable nights. I imagine others could be reading this who was also there.
.... Tom ....

I remember the bothy you speak of, think it had a mezzanine too, I also recall numerous images posted of the event you detailed.

I remember the bothy you speak of, think it had a mezzanine too, I also recall numerous images posted of the event you detailed.
Yes it did have a small upstairs mezzanine floor. I remember no electric but there was lights off a battery charged with a solar panal. There was calor gas bottles outside in a cage but can't remember any heating. But we did warm food up on something but can't remember what.
.... Tom ....

Yes it did have a small upstairs mezzanine floor. I remember no electric but there was lights off a battery charged with a solar panal. There was calor gas bottles outside in a cage but can't remember any heating. But we did warm food up on something but can't remember what.
.... Tom ....
If I recall from images posted to WCFMH's, no heat required as you were all jammed in like Sardines!!

Don't know the year but somewhare round 2012 - 2014 Wild camping had a small meet on top of shap. We all parked in nearby laybys on the M6 at about this time of year. We was spending the night in a small Bothy which I think Billy Banjo owned. We had a good night with music and food in the Bothy but when we went back to the vans it was sheeting it down sideways with snow and wind. I had an old Burstner on an even older Talbot express base at the time. In the night the van was leaning with the wind snow coming through the joints in the door and windows and it kept blowing the old Truma gas fire out. I thought I was going to die of exposure. Don't know the temp, but next day I made a dash for Ribblehead and parked in the Station pub car park. It was no better weather there but was sheltered in the pub car park. Also could enjoy a few pints round the pub fire. It wasn't long before the car park was full of more escapees from the Bothy. We stayed there a good few enjoyable nights. I imagine others could be reading this who was also there.
.... Tom ....
Hi Tom....if it was the time of the flying portaloo...it was mid december 2013...the year before we met...

I have no idea as I tend to leave the heating on if it's very cold, and I'm not in the habit of leaping out of my warm bed to check the temperature outside.

However, I do remember one meet I was at. Campervanannie was in Snoopy and in the morning her dog's water bowl (which had spent the night inside her van) was a solid block of ice. Can't remember where it was, though, or when.

When I got my first van I used it when I contracted around the UK. I was working on a Construction site at Tilbury Docks and using a campsite with a 6 amp power supply. It was very cold at night (-3 to -6 at times). My nearly new Elddis coachbuilt only had less than 2,000 miles on it but it was so cold at 6 am that I could only select 3 of the 5 gears until I had driven a mile or so and the gear oil warmed up a little.

I have no idea as I tend to leave the heating on if it's very cold, and I'm not in the habit of leaping out of my warm bed to check the temperature outside.

However, I do remember one meet I was at. Campervanannie was in Snoopy and in the morning her dog's water bowl (which had spent the night inside her van) was a solid block of ice. Can't remember where it was, though, or when.
🤣🤣 I remember that but I can’t remember where it was either. 👍

A quick google shows.…
The coldest temperatureever recorded in Scotland and the United Kingdom was on January 10, 1982, and December 30, 1995, in the Grampian village of Braemar and Altnaharra in the Highlands. According to the Met Office, the temperatures recorded in these two locations was a shocking -27.2C (-17F).6

Did-13 up on glen co when some of you were having the beast from east but didn’t feel that cold!
Then -26 in north norway in November 2018 but again didn’t feel that cold as long as you wrapped up!
The Concorde coped really well, with tanks in the floor space and underfloor Alde heating ! Only once did I turn round in the snow, we were heading for a really small village down a dead end single lane track and I couldn’t see where the road stopped and fields started ,
We got to the top of the hill using diff lock but decided not to go down into the village as more snow was forecast and it was already knee deep , before brexshit and we could have stayed but had arranged Christmas in uk so didn’t want to get stuck

-14c so far, still short & T-shirt weather 😄 any lower than this UK only?

I forgot to mention, the winner wins a £30 gift voucher to spend in Iceland....................courtesy of The Laird. :whistle: :rolleyes:

It is a bit subjective with temperatures, wind chill can make a massive difference. -6.5 with a stiff breeze will make your eyes water lol

It is a bit subjective with temperatures, wind chill can make a massive difference. -6.5 with a stiff breeze will make your eyes water lol
Will just keep it simple Nabs, stick with what gauge reads.

I agree though, it can be -5c and a North Eastery wind, which will take your face off 🥶

.... Tom ....
That bothy was, I think, an ex repeater building on the London to Glasgow trunk telephone cable. Was Whitevan Woman involved in that gathering?

Cheers

H

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back