Which tools to carry in your motorhome?

Admin

Administator

Let's imagine a new motorhome owner asked you what tools/spares to carry in their toolbox, what would you recommend?

As Rae, Halford tool kit, a multi meter, black tape and fuses. Plus, lengths of tube, cable, hose clips, choc blok, and loads of cable ties

Rae has pretty well covered what I take, except my basic tool set fits into a 1940s type roll bag.

One addition is that I never travel without a few plastic cable ties.

Believe it or not I do carry a toolbox, although I don't claim to know how to use everything in it!
I carry the usual screwdrivers, pliers, the thingy that grips hold of nuts, selection of screws, a couple of jubilee and spring clips, cable ties, insulating and duct tape and the like, plus fuses, a multimeter, a damp meter, a small set of spare bulbs, a compass, superglue and bostick... there must be loads of other bits in there. Of course! Mustn't forget my very favourite piece of motorhome kit... a spirit level :love:

Then there's the other workbox full of girlie tools... needles, thread, scissors, spare buttons, elastic, ribbon etc etc.

All the usual and lots more that I will probably never ever use but if I off loaded them, I can guarantee I would need it/them.

A basic toolkit for minor repairs, hose tape, cable ties, fuses, spare bulbs, puncture repair kits (2 types), 2 inflators, duct tape, fuel filter complete (x250), vinyl gloves,

All the above but also a better wheel brace and a decent length of pipe for cracking wheel nuts, and a much better jack than the useless thing the makers supply.

Hydro/jack ,axle stand ,spare wheel nuts and a big wheel breaker bar along with a tool roll,water and spare fuel.

More or less all that has been mentioned, I have to say in the 2 years I have owned my present pvc I haven’t had to use anything much as haven’t had any major problems.
My most important item is breakdown / recovery company contact details, fingers crossed I won’t ever have to us them.

Believe it or not I do carry a toolbox, although I don't claim to know how to use everything in it!
I carry the usual screwdrivers, pliers, the thingy that grips hold of nuts, selection of screws, a couple of jubilee and spring clips, cable ties, insulating and duct tape and the like, plus fuses, a multimeter, a damp meter, a small set of spare bulbs, a compass, superglue and bostick... there must be loads of other bits in there. Of course! Mustn't forget my very favourite piece of motorhome kit... a spirit level :love:

Then there's the other workbox full of girlie tools... needles, thread, scissors, spare buttons, elastic, ribbon etc etc.
Worth carrying selection of tools even if you are not able to use them youself for whatever reason as assistance may be at hand who does not have their own, but can use yours.

List above is pretty good. I would add on selection of nuts and bolts to go with screws; plus a roll of self-amalgamating tape (can be used for a variety of purposes including semi-permanent repairs to water pipes).
I find a Dremel very handy to carry as well. Cheap dremel-type tools can be had from LIDL and Aldi - they are not as good as the real think but as a way to get "OTS", worth having with you.

As 'Millie' has masses of storage space I carry a 3.5 tonne trolley jack, a complete tool roll with open and ring ended spanners from 6mm to 30mm, a complete screwdriver kit covering the 3 main types of ends in various sizes, a full allen and torx sets, gaffer tape, multiple rolls of insulation tape, 1/2", 3/8"& 1/4" socket sets, a professional torque wrench, 2 x full sets of replacement bulbs, a comprehensive selection of spade fuses, replacement auxiliary drive belt, wide range of cable ties etc. etc.

For me self amalgamating tape is a must. Can fix radiator hoses, domestic water leaks, damaged drains and waterproof electrical connections. Duct tape is good but amalgamating tape is brilliant.

4lb lump hammer for putting pegs in and a claw hammer for pulling them out!
The rest of the toolkit is as per suggested along with WD40, 3in1 and silicone spray.
Oh and Santa (well our son really) just bought us a Ring tyre compressor which claims it can pump up to 10bar!
Graham

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back