Who's Awake

Morning all,

What a difference a day makes.......sunshine to grey and damp.
I know and it’s not like there is anything good on that’s worth watching. 😂
Been watching the Susan Calman doc....out in her little camper...that's good, and one in the afternoon about country markets ...,.though that's becoming a bit same old, same old, the only difference being the people in them.

Had a gorgeous blue day here today again, and actually a bit warmer when the sun comes out...up to 20c + for a short while. Minus 2c first thing. The bread felt very chilled when I went and collected it ...the delivery man leaves it on the seat of the van ( I leave a note and money daily!) and he was early this morning, about 6.45 am. Made lots of orange juice and frozen a few litres...more to pick tomorrow, they get left otherwise, and I can't bear to see them lying on the ground! Picked up wood for roof of logshed, and bought & delivered a bag of lime to a friend in her 70's who is building a stone wall, since we were at the builders anyway. The young girl in the builders actually had sensible shoes on today, she picks up 40kg bags and puts them in the van, wearing heels usually..:oops: Tough people, the Portuguese!

Morning all,
Gas man servicing the boiler, so we'em trapped in the lounge till he's finished :)
My son is still working, gets quite worried as he often tells people to stay in another room, gets the meter disconnected and finds there is someone up close behind him wanting to chat! His boss says " stop the work and leave if you feel unsafe" but, as he points out there are only certain times in the job when you could do that since he can't leave them with gas disconnected. Hoping to be furloughed as he hates going from house to house on non-essential work as he feels it puts the people at unnecessary risk no matter how careful he is. He has had covid and his wife has been vaccinated ( and had it) but could carry it.

My son is still working, gets quite worried as he often tells people to stay in another room, gets the meter disconnected and finds there is someone up close behind him wanting to chat! His boss says " stop the work and leave if you feel unsafe" but, as he points out there are only certain times in the job when you could do that since he can't leave them with gas disconnected. Hoping to be furloughed as he hates going from house to house on non-essential work as he feels it puts the people at unnecessary risk no matter how careful he is. He has had covid and his wife has been vaccinated ( and had it) but could carry it.
We left a note on the door to come in and Gasman came all masked up, did the service, filled out the paperwork, very efficient. Out came the wipes and everything he had touched was wiped down.
Need the annual service in case we need to claim under gtee, and for our safety.

We left a note on the door to come in and Gasman came all masked up, did the service, filled out the paperwork, very efficient. Out came the wipes and everything he had touched was wiped down.
Need the annual service in case we need to claim under gtee, and for our safety.
Servicing is essential for gas, I feel. But fitting a smart meter for someone in their 80's? Not necessary. Paul feels some are very lonely and he ended up going to the shop for one old lady after persuading her she didn't need the meter fitted that day (don't tell his boss!), he gowns and masks and wipes but some just don't realise the risks.

Servicing is essential for gas, I feel. But fitting a smart meter for someone in their 80's? Not necessary. Paul feels some are very lonely and he ended up going to the shop for one old lady after persuading her she didn't need the meter fitted that day (don't tell his boss!), he gowns and masks and wipes but some just don't realise the risks.
I think that's part of the problem Ruth, especially with older people....they tend to think that the nice young man or woman couldn't possibly have anything to hurt them. I'm guilt of similar thoughts......my daughter ,grandchildren the people I love most.....how could a quick hug hurt......I havnt done any hugging but it's hard to imagine something that can't be seen being so lethal.
I read something similar the other day about a gas fitter being sent out to fit smart meters....he didn't think it was necessary either.Why can't employers play by the rules....if its not necessary, stay at home,

Reactions: Rec
I think that's part of the problem Ruth, especially with older people....they tend to think that the nice young man or woman couldn't possibly have anything to hurt them. I'm guilt of similar thoughts......my daughter ,grandchildren the people I love most.....how could a quick hug hurt......I havnt done any hugging but it's hard to imagine something that can't be seen being so lethal.
I read something similar the other day about a gas fitter being sent out to fit smart meters....he didn't think it was necessary either.Why can't employers play by the rules....if its not necessary, stay at home,
Unfortunately the rules, currently are, if it can't be done at home then go to work....non essential doesn't come into it, it's up to employers. Think they are going to furlough though as most of the other companies are now. But may be kept to do essential, emergency work. He had to fill in a " personal circumstances questionnaire" and as he has school aged child, married to key worker, and looks after my mum while we are away, he may well be furloughs month on, month off.

Back