Who's Awake

Damp and dismal, got up early as waiting for a delivery of blocks, cement and wood for the quinta roof and the toolshed. They will probably arrive later as we were ready early, but been caught out at 7.30am before! Gloves at the ready for unloading and stacking......but a lot of tea on the go while we wait!
Accidentally locked the van up last night so breadman left my warm bread hanging on the wing mirror...must have peered in to read the note I left on the seat!

Damp and dismal, got up early as waiting for a delivery of blocks, cement and wood for the quinta roof and the toolshed. They will probably arrive later as we were ready early, but been caught out at 7.30am before! Gloves at the ready for unloading and stacking......but a lot of tea on the go while we wait!
Accidentally locked the van up last night so breadman left my warm bread hanging on the wing mirror...must have peered in to read the note I left on the seat!
i'd love to have a bag of warm pap secs brought to me some morning

• Funny
Reactions: Rec
i'd love to have a bag of warm pap secs brought to me some morning

We eat far too much bread when here! Like to get bola de mistura but generally get whichever he has most of. Papo seco is the more shaped bread isn't it like the rolls in nandos? Love to know a!l the names, but each area seems to call them differently!

Morning all....no plans for me today. Looks dry out there atm, but not forecast to last. Expect Dave will be out putting the roof on the toolshed, between showers or inside if steady rain. Was the gofer yesterday, managed to get metal filler, length of clear corregated polycarbonate sheeting, screws and nails. Four different shops, none of them speaking any english. Felt quite pleased with myself ( aided by the screwfix catalogue and Google translate!) Took ages as strict entry to shops , all small so one in, one out. Supply issues with covid so restocking is hard for the shops, usually could get it all in one place. I think the large chains are ok ( Leroy merlin, bricomarche) but they are across in another municipality where I am not going! Spotted several local cafes have put boards outside offering "set menu" takeaway meals for 5€ so might treat ourselves. Haven't had a takeaway since November, and helps these small places keep in business ( that's my excuse)

Morning all,
Going to Exeter, to pick up the service sheets for Mum's funeral. Only 12 allowed in the crem so we're sending copies to folk who can't attend. Strange times!

Morning all! Might go for a squelch in the woods this morning....if I can locate my wellies, remove the spiders and find my thick socks.......half planning on going to the local cafe for a takeaway. Only job this morning is removing candle was from a cloth rug...dripped down from candleabra on mezzanine level last night....any ideas to remove it without an iron ( not enough power for that wattage)

Morning all! Might go for a squelch in the woods this morning....if I can locate my wellies, remove the spiders and find my thick socks.......half planning on going to the local cafe for a takeaway. Only job this morning is removing candle was from a cloth rug...dripped down from candleabra on mezzanine level last night....any ideas to remove it without an iron ( not enough power for that wattage)

I'd have a go at gently scraping most of the wax off the rug first.
Candle wax should be soluble in paraffin or white spirit or liquid BBQ lighter fuel (they're all chemically very similar). A cloth dampened with the solvent of choice could then be dabbed on the remaining wax to dissolve it.
Best to try the solvent on a hidden area of the rug first lest the rug itself is affected.
This advice comes without any form of guarantee and is entirely at your own risk!

Colin :):):)

Drinking coffee, reading this stuff, procrastinating before getting into very tight utility room, removing dishwasher to get at washing machine, pull out from under worktop, rollover (B. heavy concrete ballast !), to get at pipes to clear c**p, turn back over, open up top , replace poss broken rear of timer switch with part just delivered, put it all back, cross fingers that it is accepted as working by management, have coffee as reward. If not, anyone want a 30 year old Zanussi that done us proud all this time?! Wish me luck.... 16:28 wachine machine on drive for scrap man to collect.. gone off to lie down in a darkened room now !

Last edited:
heat the iron on the woodburner like your great granny did .

Morning everyone,

Hope you are all doing ok during these weird times .... I have not caught up on here in a long time as I have had my ups and downs like most but glad but feel happy that this gs are looking up and we may get spring is round the corner 😄

Chris I’m sorry to read about your mum and I hope you and Dawn are both doing ok

During this lock down I have been working flat out which I’m grateful for and even got myself a nice promotion but not sure how that’s going to hit in with van life when that gets going again 😄how dare work get in the way 🙄

we have had major trouble with the van and it was in a garage for four months but all seems ok now after £1000 Bill ...

I had the vaccine yesterday and thankfully I haven’t grown any extra limbs yet but who knows ??? Was grateful to get it when my age bracket shouldn’t be until May I dont t think.

Roll on summer when life will surely be back to some normality and we can be in a field with the not so normal people “my kind of people” ...

Anyway good morning everyone ... being on here is like putting your comfy slippers on again after being away a long time 🤣

Back