Wi-fi when abroad

We are on a SIM only deal with EE Steve. I've not had any text regarding calls etc with that. Might be worth looking to switch to SIM only?
Elaine has Giffgaff and I have it on a 2nd SIM, so my use of EE is very limited, Graham; and likely to become more so. It's just corporate greed and it really p's me off. So it's likely to be another permanent goodbye. Loyalty to UK business is a mug's game.

I know many will say that 1 subscriber won't make any difference, but remember when UK Corporates rushed to transfer jobs to Indian Call Centres? Prudential were one of the earlier reversers of that trend when they discovered how many customers were walking ...

Steve

Be careful with Three! Myself wife and son have been with them for 20 yrs on each contract. In April I received letter stating my current contract was expiring but I could stay for £17 pm or move to new cheaper £13 pm contract. ( NB. If your contract starts after October 2021 then no roaming). I decided that I would pay more and stay at higher price and still have roaming.
Guess what late May I received an email stating I would be automatically put on a 1 monthly rolling contract !!! I called them and stated NO, I wanted to keep my existing contract….. answer no you can’t you will be put on new contract (ie. no roaming) , so guess what we left Three and joined Virgin Mobile who still have roaming in Europe and we pay £4 less pm Than if I had continued with Three.
And the proof is I am now in Spain writing this on my inclusive UK allowance,
Cheers
Dave

Do you know if it rolls over every month and if there eventually there is a cap on how much it'll keep rolling over to?

Do you know if it rolls over every month and if there eventually there is a cap on how much it'll keep rolling over to?
It’s only the second month of our new contracts with Virgin so I have no idea what happens, I didn’t even know it rolls to start with even if just for one month ! A reply in august I should put on this thread

I’ve just looked on Virgin Mobile and it looks like data rolls over for one month and then expires but that’s a nice surprise anyway 5DF9B8E1-BFD8-45AC-9FFA-2BD8693DE7FA.jpeg7CA0E34B-39F2-4B33-ABE9-C3A839569DB0.jpeg

We are on contract with 3 and will get 12gb month in Europe with the sim in the Huawei mi fi
Luckily we took out contract before Oct 2021 so will not get the £2 day roaming charge.
The Reglo deal posted by @TJBi seems perfect with 60gb for €9.50 a month
I presume it will not work in the Mi Fi. But if I put it in my old Iphone 5 can I set it up as a hotspot and tether the laptop.
Not done this before so I wonder how well it works.......................if it works at all.

Reactions: GMJ
I used our iPhone 5 as a hotspot all through Spain and France this year Pete. It was on EE but I cant see it being a problem with other SIM's/providers tbh.

We are on contract with 3 and will get 12gb month in Europe with the sim in the Huawei mi fi
Luckily we took out contract before Oct 2021 so will not get the £2 day roaming charge.
The Reglo deal posted by @TJBi seems perfect with 60gb for €9.50 a month
I presume it will not work in the Mi Fi. But if I put it in my old Iphone 5 can I set it up as a hotspot and tether the laptop.
Not done this before so I wonder how well it works.......................if it works at all.
Using the Réglo Mobile SIM in an old Windows smartphone set up as a hotspot worked well for me; just a few remote locations where the roof aerial for my mobile router might have been useful.

Thanks for the info about this deal @TJBi we'll definitely be queueing at that Leclerc in Dieppe.

The only other deal we considered was Tiekom.com It covered Europe but I think it had to be activated in Spain
Just in case anyone is interested it offers 300GB for €39 month...........................A lot more for a lot more.

So a good option for 90 days at the reduced rate......................then it doubles.
Good to see there are various options available.
It's unfortunate that UK companies are not choosing to offer similar packages for travellers.

Sorry to go on about this but it might be useful to others.
I read on another site that this deal only allows 5gb of data outside France.....then I read on their site.

The RÉGLO "€9.95" package includes a communication budget (deducted from your package or your extension) that can be used in Europe and the overseas departments (4) :

• 1 hour per month
  • 100 text messages per month
  • 10 MMS per month
  • 5 GB per month
I don't quite understand the terminology but it seems to support the idea that it will only allow 5gb of data in Spain or elswhere.
I'll try to find out more.

I posted that. Additionally I was told this by a salesman in LeClerc while I was buying a new sim.

So only a good deal for France then.
I looked into the Lobster deal from Post #35 but the 50% off deal expires at the end of this month.
It can be used across Europe but it doesn't say if data is capped in other countries.Possibly the same limitations as Reglo.

So back to the drawing board

Sorry to go on about this but it might be useful to others.
I read on another site that this deal only allows 5gb of data outside France.....then I read on their site.

The RÉGLO "€9.95" package includes a communication budget (deducted from your package or your extension) that can be used in Europe and the overseas departments (4) :

• 1 hour per month
  • 100 text messages per month
  • 10 MMS per month
  • 5 GB per month
I don't quite understand the terminology but it seems to support the idea that it will only allow 5gb of data in Spain or elswhere.
I'll try to find out more.
You're right. The wording on the tariff sheet is somewhat misleading if you don't spot the small print at the bottom of the page. The actual data allowance outside France varies according to the package selected.
Unfortunately, the system won't allow me to edit my earlier statement about Réglo Mobile data allowances in the EU.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back