Wi-fi when abroad

Just seen a reference to this sim on another Forum https://www.popitmobile.co.uk/
Seems to offer a full 100gb in EU for £25 a month. Which is more than enough for us and cheaper than the Tiekom deal.
Presumably UK TV as a UK sim but still waiting to hear if it will work in a Mi Fi or if they allow tethering.
As has been said if other Countries can offer these roamong deals why can't UK companies

Just had a reply that it can be used in a Mi Fi unit for streaming or as a hotspot in a phone.
So that's €12 cheaper than Tiekhom but of course for less data. I read they are charging €15 for delivery to UK which is rather excessive.
I've not seen any reviews yet for the popitmobile but it seems another alternative.

We've now used the Popit mobile all over Europe and I think it is the best deal around for large usage. Tiekom seems to have folded and there seem to be some complications with RWG

We've now used the Popit mobile all over Europe and I think it is the best deal around for large usage. Tiekom seems to have folded and there seem to be some complications with RWG
What complications? Asking because I have a RWG SIM card I’m using right now

Looking for good ideas/suggestions for getting wi-fi when abroad
Thanks in advance
Gordon, Bea took on Reglo, card used in her iPad. Both our GiffGaff worked for a while, they then cut us off, as we had not used our phones within UK for x amount of time. But GG still took our DD payments.

This thread on MHF refers to various issues people have had with not having the correct sim and then not being able to get a refund or contact customer services.But to be fair there are mixed experiences.
It's why I mentioned complications rather than problems.I gather you need their global sim to get EU access.

Looking for good ideas/suggestions for getting wi-fi when abroad
Thanks in advance
Hi, We have just got back from our 90 day trip around France, Spain & Portugal, we use a Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Mobile Router - MR1100, with iD sim at £16 all unlimited, with free roaming, after 63 days we got message from iD telling us it is being transferred to Pay as you go until the signal is registered in UK again, then it will reset back to unlimited.
must say it has great, been no problems with our laptops, ipads or phones, signals been perfect, and just checking if they charged me more, nothing seems to have changed, no extra charge so far on my bill, I decided I am going to change the sim to 200gb unlimited, as a friend had unlimited, and used it alot in Europe more than me, and they stopped the sim under the fair use policy, but under the 200Gb monthly contract, they can't stop you until you go over the 200Gb, which I don't, hope this helps, happy travels.
P.S. If you choose this sim, get it through Currys, then any problems, you can have a face to face, I learnt the hard way, because it can be frustrating to get an answer on-line, any problems just pop into the store.

Last edited:
RWG
Unlimited mins, SMS & 200GB data £20/month
£22.00 £20.00
Get unlimited mins, unlimited SMS plus 200GB of data every month for just £20/month. Existing customers will have this bundle added to their account, new customers will be sent a new SIM to their delivery address.

Our £20 SIM gives you a combination of unlimited mins, unlimited SMS & 200GB per month. This will renew each month until cancelled. This product includes EU Roaming without restrictions.

Worked OK for me we was in France in May
And Smarty no problems

RWG
Unlimited mins, SMS & 200GB data £20/month
£22.00 £20.00
Get unlimited mins, unlimited SMS plus 200GB of data every month for just £20/month. Existing customers will have this bundle added to their account, new customers will be sent a new SIM to their delivery address.

Our £20 SIM gives you a combination of unlimited mins, unlimited SMS & 200GB per month. This will renew each month until cancelled. This product includes EU Roaming without restrictions.

Worked OK for me we was in France in May
And Smarty no problems
Good, I’m pleased to know that as I got my 200gb RWG sim a few weeks ago in readiness for our next adventure abroad. I’m using it in my iPad for now for everything to get some useage out of it - 50gb so far. It uses the EE network, how good or bad that is across the channel I’ve no idea.

Good, I’m pleased to know that as I got my 200gb RWG sim a few weeks ago in readiness for our next adventure abroad. I’m using it in my iPad for now for everything to get some useage out of it - 50gb so far. It uses the EE network, how good or bad that is across the channel I’ve no idea.
Across the Channel, you are not tied to any network, although there may be a preferred network, possibly Orange in France. If no Orange signal, it should automatically connect to another network. If Orange has insufficient bandwidth, manually select an alternative network.

Hi, We have just got back from our 90 day trip around France, Spain & Portugal, we use a Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Mobile Router - MR1100, with iD sim at £16 all unlimited, with free roaming, after 63 days we got message from iD telling us it is being transferred to Pay as you go until the signal is registered in UK again, then it will reset back to unlimited.
must say it has great, been no problems with our laptops, ipads or phones, signals been perfect, and just checking if they charged me more, nothing seems to have changed, no extra charge so far on my bill, I decided I am going to change the sim to 200gb unlimited, as a friend had unlimited, and used it alot in Europe more than me, and they stopped the sim under the fair use policy, but under the 200Gb monthly contract, they can't stop you until you go over the 200Gb, which I don't, hope this helps, happy travels.
P.S. If you choose this sim, get it through Currys, then any problems, you can have a face to face, I learnt the hard way, because it can be frustrating to get an answer on-line, any problems just pop into the store.
iD Mobile's website states: "Roam free. In more destinations than any other network, up to 30GB.3" "3. 30GB limit if your UK allowance is 30GB or more. Roaming subject to fair usage & open data policies. Roaming comparison versus all UK network offerings for new subscribers - April 2023." So looks as though they're now restricting roaming to 30GB/month max.

Hi, I just checked with iD and they say there's a 30GB/month cap on use when roaming (France) irrespective of which data package you have. Are you saying that you haven't been capped?

iD Mobile's website states: "Roam free. In more destinations than any other network, up to 30GB.3" "3. 30GB limit if your UK allowance is 30GB or more. Roaming subject to fair usage & open data policies. Roaming comparison versus all UK network offerings for new subscribers - April 2023." So looks as though they're now restricting roaming to 30GB/month max.
Roaming on iD is 63 days, no matter what contract you have, and on some contracts but not all it then converts to Pay as you Go, I have had long discussions with iD about this, hence why I came out of unlimited (because of their fair usage policy, they can stop you even if you only used 100Gb, as happened to my friend and others), and got a 200Gb free roaming contract, because it is a contract wording "200Gb free roaming" they must honour that. my wifes is an earlier contract at £16 a month, my one is new at £12 a month, must say we have only just got back from 90 day European tour, cards have not let us down, and even though on the last 27 days we were supposed to on "Pay as you Go" we have not received extra charges.

Hi, I just checked with iD and they say there's a 30GB/month cap on use when roaming (France) irrespective of which data package you have. Are you saying that you haven't been capped?
Yes that's right, every day for all the 90 days we have used both phones for face time, phones calls through Whats app, maps etc, ipad ( wife watching films) and use of the laptop every day, using laptop for internet for at least 3 hours a day, never let us down, and for £12 a month I think that is a bargain.

Roaming on iD is 63 days, no matter what contract you have, and on some contracts but not all it then converts to Pay as you Go, I have had long discussions with iD about this, hence why I came out of unlimited (because of their fair usage policy, they can stop you even if you only used 100Gb, as happened to my friend and others), and got a 200Gb free roaming contract, because it is a contract wording "200Gb free roaming" they must honour that. my wifes is an earlier contract at £16 a month, my one is new at £12 a month, must say we have only just got back from 90 day European tour, cards have not let us down, and even though on the last 27 days we were supposed to on "Pay as you Go" we have not received extra charges.
But are those deals still available? I have found 3 SIM Only offers of 200GB and when placed in the basket all of them state:

All our plans include:​

Inclusive Roaming​

Use your UK allowances in 50 destinations, up to 30GB.*

But are those deals still available? I have found 3 SIM Only offers of 200GB and when placed in the basket all of them state:

Inclusive Roaming​

I am not sure, I think so, as you can see from my bill, since I have been away I normally use between 80Gb to 150Gb a month, and my bill shows I have never been charged more than my £12 a month, I have been away since March, and what I don't use gets carried over, up to 400Gb, and this month I have already used over 24Gb, and still got 24 days to go before the next month.

bill1.jpgbill2.jpg

Inclusive Roaming​

Yes your right, I tried to sign up as a new customer, and it now as the 30Gb*, that is only a recent development, maybe because of all the discussions we been having with them, that now they are printing that statement, that is sad, because they said they were not going to follow other providers since Briexit.

hi. these monthly contracts are ok if using them every month but we only go away 3 months in summer 3 months in winter .so we use MY3 & only buy data for the months we are away & when we get back the dongle in the goes back draw till next time . we usually buy £15 of data that enough for banking & emails apart from that we us c/c/park WIFI or the site in Spain's WIFI .cheyenne

We used lobster, it was great in France and Spain Gordon, they are giving triple data at the moment as well.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back