lithium fire

OMG init

The more I read and hear about lithium batteries, the less I want one.
This guy is pretty much an expert on all things automotive and I find his videos very interesting and informative. He has recently done quite a few on Lithium batteries, and what he says makes sense. For example if you drive into an underground car park with EV charging points and only one entrance / exit area, go and park somewhere else. If a lithium battery catches fire it is impossible to extinguish because it generates its own oxygen. It will burn under water. Here's an example:

In any case I can buy four lead acids for the price of one lithium, and until my lead acids do not provide the current I want, there is no point in spending money on something I don't need. It seems to me that there is a headlong rush to be fashionable and have lithium batteries. Unless you are in Darkest Peru (I've been there and it isn't dark) at midnight wanting to run your hair drier, electric oven, electric heating, kettle, hot water boiler and TV all night, it is doubtful that you need a lithium battery. I don't - and I don't stop at camp sites.

But presumably fully electric campers do. You wouldn't want to be fast asleep inside at night with your kiddies, camper plugged into the camp site electrics to charge it (remember they will take 8 hours charging at 13A to take you 120 miles) and the battery decided to get all hot and bothered.

A short on a badly fitted battery whether lead acid or lithium can cause a fire, they are no different. It will be nothing to do with the KS battery being lithium because it has LiFePO4 cells. As for EV car fires I don’t suppose any petrol vehicles have ever caught fire, carrying condensed energy around to power vehicles has always involved some risks.

But presumably fully electric campers do. You wouldn't want to be fast asleep inside at night with your kiddies, camper plugged into the camp site electrics to charge it (remember they will take 8 hours charging at 13A to take you 120 miles) and the battery decided to get all hot and bothered.
Many EV companies are now moving to LFP (liFePo4) batteries.

All batteries move ions between cathode and anode, whether lead acid or lithium. Li-ion is a generic term for all types of lithium battery including LiFePO4. It is sometimes wrongly applied to try and distinguish other types of lithium battery from the much safer LiFePO4 ones.
Yes I know, was just wondering if KS had supplied lithium before going purely lifepo4 as in the way other manufacturers sell lithium that’s not Lifepo4. Certainly won’t be a fire caused by Lifepo4 battery.

I am amused (not by the fire and the loss of the van though) that people are reading the words in the posted screenshot and thinking it must be true.
There is so much misinformation posted - often deliberately - on any kind of event, and the amount of folk who are suckered into it is amazing. The BBC have had to start a new team of people called "BBC Verify" just to check if what is posted is accurate as so many people take everything at face value (have a read of this about the BBC Verify team & service - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65650822)
Remember the thread here on on WC where someone posted a screenshot of a fire at a Service Station due to a campervan refilling his LPG bottles? The fact that the Service Station didn't even sell LPG seemed to be irrelevant.

I am amused (not by the fire and the loss of the van though) that people are reading the words in the posted screenshot and thinking it must be true.
There is so much misinformation posted - often deliberately - on any kind of event, and the amount of folk who are suckered into it is amazing. The BBC have had to start a new team of people called "BBC Verify" just to check if what is posted is accurate as so many people take everything at face value (have a read of this about the BBC Verify team & service - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65650822)
Remember the thread here on on WC where someone posted a screenshot of a fire at a Service Station due to a campervan refilling his LPG bottles? The fact that the Service Station didn't even sell LPG seemed to be irrelevant.
Instagram also do the Verify thing

Instagram also do the Verify thing
never used Instagram so wasn't aware, but more social media platforms need to.

I don't understand why the instigators of these kind of posts actually do it :unsure: Must take some kind of perverse pleasure in doing so?

(Just to be fully clear, I am NOT suggesting the OP of this thread had anything but good intentions to share what they thought could be a concern to others)

never used Instagram so wasn't aware, but more social media platforms need to.

I don't understand why the instigators of these kind of posts actually do it :unsure: Must take some kind of perverse pleasure in doing so?

(Just to be fully clear, I am NOT suggesting the OP of this thread had anything but good intentions to share what they thought could be a concern to others)
I wasn’t aware Instagram had it until recently as I usually only post my own pics for family and friends to follow me round.

Son in law sent me brilliant video a few weeks ago which purportedly showed the moon doing a full rise and fall along with solar eclipse somewhere Russia/Alaska way, looked like the moon was almost crashing into the Earth.

I thought it was a brilliant video regardless of if it had been computer generated or was real so posted the link. Next morning I had a warning for posting a false story as dictated by their verify them including link to disprove it, never even realised it was a story just liked the video :)

Whatever I post on Instagram repeats on Facebook automatically and I got no such warning from them.

AFAIA, the service station in this event was at Wellingbough, Nothamtonshire. If that's not so, then ignore the following. The similarity between this incident, and what I can remember that was posted on here some time ago, makes that unlikely.
I have in the past bought lpg from here, I doubt very much they will continue to stock it. Perhaps then the irrelevance has become relevant.
From what I've seen from photo's in the local Wellingbourgh paper, the MH is by the pump that has/had lpg.
I've not found any information as to the cause of the fire. But, relevant or not. All facts really ought to be checked, before making sweeping statments.

AFAIA, the service station in this event was at Wellingbough, Nothamtonshire. If that's not so, then ignore the following. The similarity between this incident, and what I can remember that was posted on here some time ago, makes that unlikely.
I have in the past bought lpg from here, I doubt very much they will continue to stock it. Perhaps then the irrelevance has become relevant.
From what I've seen from photo's in the local Wellingbourgh paper, the MH is by the pump that has/had lpg.
I've not found any information as to the cause of the fire. But, relevant or not. All facts really ought to be checked, before making sweeping statments.
I don't recall the specifics of the LPG one (there have been a few "fire due to lpg refuel" ones) other than someone pointing out the impossibility of it being due to a refuelling. And I don't think there is any connection whatsover between the two events (not sure why you thought I did?).
The point I attempted to make is about the level of misinformation that gets posted around the internet, either accidentally or deliberately, and then perpetrated and regurgitated as facts.
I take just about anything I see on Social Media with a large pinch of salt and the phrase "the camera never lies" is now so incredibly wrong it beggers belief.

There is a true report of a member on Facts and Owners of a woman filling up with LPG (Germany I think, or Poland) and she had left the fridge on, may have been AES and it ignited, there was also some talk of the pump being faulty, I've not seen any further info on that, but the van was a mess down one side, it is now back on the road and she has recovered from her burns.

I have posted about this before on one of the 3 forums.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back