Side marker lights.

You live in a shit country if we went by how you see it, of course there must be places that do repairs and MOTs.
No not here its gov run centres, and if a fail you pay half fee for resite, garagescan do the work but have nothing to do with the test centres & cannot garentee a pass.

I refuse to believe that Trev.

Trev is right in that the testing stations in NI do no repairs. They are all govt. run and akin to the VOSA facilities in GB and the Council centres that test but do not do any repairs.
The theory is they gain no benefit in false-failing to then generate repair work that was not really needed. I used to believe that until a few years ago when I found a Council MOT nonsensically failing the car without genuine cause and to my amazement (especially on the reason for failure) - and I had it re-MOTed at a commercial garage who passed it a few days later, with ZERO repairs between the two tests (hence my lack of unswerving belief in the ability of every MOT tester in the land).

What the NI commercial Garages can do is essentially a "pseudo" MOT to check everything ready for the official Govt. Test centre to simply repeat the process. I have little doubt the odd tester will recommend their favourite garages for any repairs.

Last edited:
It's a slippery slope.

There are marker lights and reflectors, but they don't light up. The wiring needs replacing and its not a pleasant job, crawling on the mud under the van.

If omeone is too blind to see a hulking great motorhome, I doubt they'll see a little yelloe light.
Which is why I won’t usually put my lights on unless it’s bad weather conditions or going dark. I hate all these day running lights and things, just gives an excuse for hitting motorbikes

Trev is right little doubt the odd tester will recommend their favourite garages for any repairs.
Not allowed to, i tried phoning to asl about abs lite on if its a fail or can i remove the entire sys as many rally cars do this and pass tests, there answer was we cannot give out information on this, present your vh at a station of choice and a pass or fail will answer this, some blu--y help, its like the masons over here.

Not allowed to, i tried phoning to asl about abs lite on if its a fail or can i remove the entire sys as many rally cars do this and pass tests, there answer was we cannot give out information on this, present your vh at a station of choice and a pass or fail will answer this, some blu--y help, its like the masons over here.
you obviously need to learn the right handshakes and turn up with one trouser leg rolled up, an orange sock on one side and a green sock on the other.
(didn't have all that hassle with the cars on Rathlin.... never bothered with MOTs there at all ;) )

Is this because NI is full of crooks???

Is this because NI is full of crooks???
Correct and thats why it has to be gov run, just think for one min if garages in the falls or shankel did tests, alright billy/shamey see you later in the pub. ;) 😂
Years back i could go talk to the bose in our local test centre, all stopped now, clossed shop since covid never to be reopened.

So what stops MOT staff being threatened in the same way?

Last edited:
Correct and thats why it has to be gov run, just think for one min if garages in the falls or shankel did tests, alright billy/shamey see you later in the pub. ;) 😂
Years back i could go talk to the bose in our local test centre, all stopped now, clossed shop since covid never to be reopened.
Years ago I could get an MOt in a pub Trev, it wasn’t just over there lol

Some have been, i knew a biker who head butted a tester after he insisted on scraping the powder coating of his chopper to find the chassis number.
We always asked if they wanted it masking off or left unpainted for them to paint themselves.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back