Were off to the nether regions at some point today.

There's too many signs already tbh.

It is entirely proper that in our own country we can have signs in our own language despite what the rest of the English speaking world think.

Missing the point again G, safety is what should come first.

I'm not missing the point at all. You can't expect a place with it's own language to put signs in English just to please non speakers. It's as safe/unsafe as driving in France, Germany, Spain or elsewhere. The signs there are in a different language too and it doesn't stop 000's travelling safely.

In numerous case in Welsh the signs are similar to the English equivalent anyway so are not that difficult to follow.

It's not a safety issue if you drive at the appropriate speeds or plan your route.

As I said earlier if it's an issue to you then you have other options.

Usual response from you then, plain ignorance of the actual question, and no proper answer & a very schoolboy attitude.

Try reading it agsin without the usual indignation that seems to be common when any Welsh question comes up.

What on earth are you on about?

Please don't start name calling Kev, it's beneath you

Well if you are incapable of reading the words without inference then i give up, there is no getting through to you.

If you like Kev.

rotfl2.gif

If it was in Chinese and English I'd have the same problem I CANT READ IT, THAT IS A SAFETY ISSUE, and you would also have the same problem, telling me to stay in Yorkshire is a bit low.

You are clearly looking for an argument today Kev

You'll not be getting one with me.

I always wanted to learn the Welsh Language so when I went abroad on Holiday no Germans could listen to my conversation...a big downside to being & speaking English 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 & a bonus to the Welsh speaking community if they travel abroad & wish to keep their conversations private .Chris.

Last edited:
Reactions: GMJ
You are clearly looking for an argument today Kev

You'll not be getting one with me.
I was if you bother to look at the question, Deffo not, I asked a reasonable question but you got all defensive for some reason.

Anyway I asked a very nice Welsh gentleman in a Carmarthen cafe and he said he agreed with my perception of how it looked to a none Welsh speaker, but it was that way due to how it was set up and just because they could and now it'd be embarrassing for the Welsh government to put it right.

Dunno if that is fact or not and it doesn't matter anyway.

My eyes are not what they were and the prescription is for driving but I struggle with signs and having to fart about reading multilingual signs in a hurry pisses me off nowt to do with the other language, its just stupid to put the greater used language second, as you have to waste time getting to the part which actually tells me something useful.

It's not stupid in the country you are in. The Welsh Govt have nothing to put right as your new friend is wrong: the Government have an avowed policy of trying to get 1m speakers by 2050 so have nothing to undo.

You talked about the English speaking world yet you talk about ...

If it was in Chinese and English I'd have the same problem I CANT READ IT, THAT IS A SAFETY ISSUE, and you would also have the same problem,

So how is that the English speaking world?

When I suggested staying in Yorkshire it was was with a smiley as I thought we understood each other...and your response was with a Funny face (which no doubt you can delete now).

We travel to numerous countries and encounter road signs in numerous languages. We don't expect them to be in in English or perhaps in the English translation, yet we carry on. All the folks in Wales expect is some respect for their culture. You are the visitor so please try that.

I believe that there is something similar re road signs in Gaelic parts of Scotland to?

If your eyes are that bad I'd be worried personally! I'd suggest that the problem is with you and not the signage.

I give up, but yet still no answer to the question.

"All the folks in Wales expect is some respect for their culture. You are the visitor so please try that."

Wish we in England could also make that statement to all that enter our shore.

"All the folks in Wales expect is some respect for their culture. You are the visitor so please try that."

Wish we in England could also make that statement to all that enter our shore.
Show me where I didn't show respect please, I only asked a very simple question.

Anyway enough of the Buzzcocks.

I've been surprised at how little we've needed to have the heating on in this cheapo old van, only 5 nights so far and even then only for 30 minutes or so even though we are usually parked up by 3.30 ish, not even had the blanky out of its bag yet, we may head up to Scotland next week, I'm torn between here and there.

Weve just been counting the counties we've travelled through so far.

North, West, and South Yorkshire.

Derbys, Notts and Lincs.

Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambs.

Beds, Northants and Bucks.

Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Herefordshire.

And of course many in Wales as well, need to look at my time line to list the ones we have actually travelled through when when we leave to head north.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back