Adventureb4Dementia3

Trotter, if you have an address of sorts where you can collect post, I can send some teabags and also a spare smarty SIM, which they sent with one I ordered, " for a friend" you pay £10 month for 30 GB ( but only 19 in Portugal) but would last a while and you can cancel it whenever, it's a monthly basis. Uses three network. Could easily post as not leaving Portugal till end month?

Rec. Thanks for the very kind offer. To be really honest, I need an excuse to go home. Other wise Nic might think she’s finally got rid of me. Another 30 days or so, then I can ruin her day by turning up on the doorstep.
Besides, I’m already planning the next trip. Covid-19 permitting.
How about returning here late October , flying home for Christmas, returning back until spring ? Sounds like a plan?
I’ll spend my time practising my sales pitch. To reiterate, Nic doesn’t like the vanlife, shame, but there it is. No strife, no problem.
Bit of excitement this afternoon. The GNR took passport and vehicle registrations. When asked why, they said to make a note who was here in the village, and when, if ever, we intended leaving . They still have no intention of moving us on. 😬. They were nice blokes doing a job. No fuss, no drama. All’s good.
Stay safe

Just out of interest how many of the seven that were left when we departed are still there ? , I dream of still being there gardening & decorating are not the same lol

Just out of interest how many of the seven that were left when we departed are still there ? , I dream of still being there gardening & decorating are not the same lol
The not so magnificent seven are all accounted for, plus Nick.

Thanks for taking an interest Chris
I was thinking that myself.
I twisted my back. I’ve not been the happiest of bunnies for the last week or so. I’m now at the stage where putting socks and trainers on is still difficult, although now a lot more mobile.
The last thing I wanted to write was how cr@p I felt, I’d sooner not write anything.
The last few days and nights have been wet. Clearing up around 4 pm. Today, high 20’s, and it’s forecasted to continue after a bit of rain tomorrow am.

The back could just as easily tweaked, at home. Although I don’t usually carry water carriers or loo cassettes when I’m there.
Getting older, remember to pick things up sensibly.

Unless things change, again. I expect to be home around the 19th May. No idea what I’ll do if still in the lockdown. See if I can get some 7.5 tonne driving work? Got to be better than sitting indoors.

Have you been able to get something for your back pain? The pharmacy is usually good for selling brufen gel, unfortunately with social distancing you won't get a massage from anyone! Hot water bottle can help but less appealing!
Hope it improves soon.

Have you been able to get something for your back pain? The pharmacy is usually good for selling brufen gel, unfortunately with social distancing you won't get a massage from anyone! Hot water bottle can help but less appealing!
Hope it improves soon.

Cheers Rec,
As well as a weakness in my brain I’m also aware of the weakness in my back. Therefore I always carry Voltarol gel and ibuprofen. It’s an old war wound. Not. 🙄
Something to do with jumping off of trucks , when I was on bricks. When netting same, it was quicker to jump down than climb down. No such thing as elf ‘n insanity in the seventies. PPE , consisted of a pair of rigger boots. Just in case you landed on a nail.
Happy Daze. I was fit then, well as fit as 40 Bensons a day, would allow.

Sign of getting older ( or being a nurse!) that I always have a supply of most "first aid" meds. Dave always laughs at me, but there have been many occasions when my stock of antihistamines, pain relief, and stomach remedies have been very useful. Also the first aid kits are always well stocked...:rolleyes: sometimes with stuff a bit out of date but in an emergency, a wound can be immediatelycovered and steristripped back together.

Sign of getting older ( or being a nurse!) that I always have a supply of most "first aid" meds. Dave always laughs at me, but there have been many occasions when my stock of antihistamines, pain relief, and stomach remedies have been very useful. Also the first aid kits are always well stocked...:rolleyes: sometimes with stuff a bit out of date but in an emergency, a wound can be immediatelycovered and steristripped back together.
My meds cupboard holds items for most problems. Prescription meds obviously, and as you say antihistamines, useful for insect bites as well as hay fever.
Plasters, or whatever they are called nowadays, are important to me, as I take low dose aspirin, I’ve become a bit of a bleeder. Old age thin skin, plus aspirin, makes a hell of a mess. 😳. So there’s a few in the first aid kit. Compulsory in many European countries.

I have also got haemostatic dressings which stop bleeding...kaltistat and quickclot! When we were younger, didn't really think about these things, but now I try and keep a bit of everything. Think Dave's head injury in Portugal last year made me even more paranoid. ;)

I have also got haemostatic dressings which stop bleeding...kaltistat and quickclot! When we were younger, didn't really think about these things, but now I try and keep a bit of everything. Think Dave's head injury in Portugal last year made me even more paranoid. ;)
Paranoid ? Don’t think so. Well prepared, definitely. Although in my own position, a bit overkill , over prepared. My problem is that a simple knock either causes a scratch, or more often a bleed under the skin. To be honest, I get more annoyed at the mess I leave behind, than I do at the bleed.

Big shop yesterday, pretty much just in time. What with the back problem, not being able to drive, stock was getting very low.
Did a wash as well. Still not sold on not being able to use my own washing liquid. Having clean clothes and bedding, is almost worth the odd smell left on the clothes. The smell isn’t unpleasant, it’s different. And of course there’s no possibility of putting any conditioner in either.
That last paragraph sounds pathetic. I am happy to have clean clothes, it’s just.............. Some people are never happy.😬
Stay safe all.

Last edited:
Big shop yesterday, pretty much just in time. What with the back problem, not being able to drive, stock was getting very low.
Did a wash as well. Still not sold on not being able to use my own washing liquid. Having clean clothes and bedding, is almost worth the odd smell left on the clothes. The smell isn’t unpleasant, it’s different. And of course there’s no possibility of putting any conditioner in either.
That last paragraph sounds pathetic. I am happy to have clothes, it’s just.............. Some people are never happy.😬
Stay safe all.
Don't know what detergent is used in these machines, but I am less keen on the smell too. But, as you say, clean clothes and bedding is better than dirty. I sprinkle the bedding with lavender oil while damp and it smells more like my stuff! Nice to have a choice of food again after shopping, I did ours Thursday, was running out of choices which we fancied!

Good to see you are looking after yourself .... we have pretty much finished everything we brought home- apart from some very nice wine and Lee’s birthday whiskys.

still envious that you are there and we are here....

Leaving here two weeks tomorrow. Hopefully the lockdown back home, may be altered by then. Getting to the missing the family stage now. Plus I don’t want to get into the same pickle with my phone suppler as I did last year. My roaming free ends about the 20th May. So I’ll be back in the UK by then. Things are locally as laid back as when you left, no one has become ill, either from us van dwellers or, as far as I know, the village. Blessed we are, init.
Overcast today, rain forecast for tomorrow morning, after that it should be clear for the foreseeable 😀. Give me a chance to work on my tan. Or is it rust?
Answering questions is so much easier than trying to think of something new to write. So thanks for giving me something to put on here.
Stay safe

How long are you allowing to get to the channel Del?
Leaving on Monday morning, for a Friday train. 11 - 15th May. It’ll be a busy few days. However, it’s not the time to tarry. Enjoying rural France can wait for another time. Twelve hundred miles over four days, three hundred a day, shouldn’t be too difficult.
Although I’ve been away for ten weeks, I am aware of the nonsense being expressed on Facebook and on other platforms, about people who have decided to make alternative self isolation arrangements. Plus I’ll be driving along the Highway to Hell, aka M25, probably the most aggressive road in the UK.* Therefore, I’m going to make a note to put in the van window saying something like, “ I’m not on a jolly, I’m going home “
Stay safe all.
I wonder, will I have to self isolate on the drive when I get home? I hope not. The drive is so steep, I’ll be rolling out of bed.
* Experiences learned over years of driving this road, professionally and for leisure.

Leaving on Monday morning, for a Friday train. 11 - 15th May. It’ll be a busy few days. However, it’s not the time to tarry. Enjoying rural France can wait for another time. Twelve hundred miles over four days, three hundred a day, shouldn’t be too difficult.
Although I’ve been away for ten weeks, I am aware of the nonsense being expressed on Facebook and on other platforms, about people who have decided to make alternative self isolation arrangements. Plus I’ll be driving along the Highway to Hell, aka M25, probably the most aggressive road in the UK.* Therefore, I’m going to make a note to put in the van window saying something like, “ I’m not on a jolly, I’m going home “
Stay safe all.
I wonder, will I have to self isolate on the drive when I get home? I hope not. The drive is so steep, I’ll be rolling out of bed.
* Experiences learned over years of driving this road, professionally and for leisure.

Safe trip (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back