Cadac or bbq

I have hardly cooked a meal inside my van this year on the cooker I have various plates for the cadac safari chef 2 and use it to cook tea and breakfast and also pizza I bought the small paella pan and it is ace and the wife says so easy to clean I have also made a set of extending legs so it is at waist height

I’d pay good money for those leg extenders. Or at least, I would have done if I hadn’t just bought a cheap table specially for mine.

I have had just about every Barbi ever made over the years, I use a large Charcoal Barbi at home in my garden , best taste is Charcoal, but in the van I like to keep things simple my favourite barbi /grill is a simple Gaz bottle with a burner atop and a cast iron plate to cook on various size plates, all one has to wash up after stuffing ones self with food and wine is the cast iron plate, simples, in order not to have to buy Gaz in bottles I made up a barbi using the Spanish Paella burner and use a cast Iron plate on that , which I can run from my vans refillable bottles ,but that is a lot of faffing about assembling it so I tend to stick with the Gaz burner I have a wheel hub cap type cooking plate that also fits the burner if I fancy a change, note the toilet type Barbi that I spotted on line some time ago. The Aluminium wind guard I made has enough space in it to take 2 barbis of the same type if I want to cook a lot of stuff at one go.

Attachments

• Best Barbi..JPG
    Best Barbi..JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    732.8 KB · Views: 36
  • WC  Barbi.jpg
    WC Barbi.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 35
my gas barbi is actually a pizza oven came with a pizza stone & cast iron griddle plate it’s done stirling service for the last four years even cooking wully’s inch thick tomahawk steaks it’s quick & convenient but you can’t beat the flavour of a charcoal grill

I bought a cadac last year and I absolutely hate it I only bought it coz everyone was bumming them up but in my opinion they more or less cook the food by frying it not barbecuing for flavour or texture. The least the wee bit of wind and the temperature drops put a decent size bit of meat on and the temperature drops I’ve tried to stick with it because it was expensive but I’ve made my mind up I’m going to buy a decent charcoal barbecue a Webber or something I can cook with wood and charcoal on to get a bit of flavour in to the food. Sorry if that sound negative but I love barbecuing and the cadac just doesn’t do it for me.
I’ll try to forget being downwind of your barbecue at Wellington. Unfortunately I reckon it’s something that will live with me forever.?

Have one of the original Safari Chef's and still going strong. Seriously thinking of changing to the new Cadac that is the 2 burner hob (2-Cook 2) with the griddle and flat plate attachments, or to the new Safari Chef but buy the pizza stone as we do like making pizzas. Wife cannot decide which as she likes me using a pizza stone when cooking them.

I have a Cadac Carri Chef2 and use a pizza stone, it does an excellent job so I think the safari chef2 with a pizza stone would be as well, the difference with a pizza cooked on a stone is amazing

Just telling the truth all gas barbecues are rubbish it’s not really barbecuing it’s just cooking food outside. I’m positive
True you can't beat charcoal. But we have to use the cadac most of the time as most sites in summer here in Spain don't allow charcoal bbqs because of fire risk, so it's Hobson:'s Choice.

We have 2 CADACs - one for the MH and one at home. Aside from standard BBQing in the evening (meat, fish and veggies like peppers) I also cook a full breakfast on it as a treat when away.

Using the pot stand it comes with I also cook chilli; spag bol; and curry (Mrs GMJ usually cooks the rice or pasta in the MH). These are great meals to do when abroad using cheap local produce and only use one pot (an old wok) so cut down on washing up too!

I take the point regarding charcoal BBQ's being more authentic but having the CADAC and plugging it into the side of the MH is so much more easier/quicker when touring plus you don't have any issues with local rules regarding charcoal, as stated.

Graham
smile.gif

when mine eventually gives up the ghost i will buy a double gas ring and aluminium griddle plate cheap light easy etc

The cadac grill plate is ribbed one side and smooth plain the other.
That might work OK maybe use a teflon baking sheet as well and obviously the lid.
We use the flat side 90% of the time. The main faff is getting the BBQ horizontal but a small level and cardboard wedges help.
We do not use the legs but stand the cadac on a kitchen stool with makes everything more stable (apart from the cook).
We grill various vegetables including slices potatoes so it is often a 3 courses as regards cooking.

I have one of them too that one works better than the big cadac folds away nice and neat and easy to clean. But it’s not a bbq in the food never gets near the flame.

Each to their own...
The negative comments are valid but we like it
Do not use the legs but put it on a sturdy kitchen stool/steps.
Mainly use the griddle plate flat side up oiled but the ribbed side has its uses
We do a full meal
Garlic bread
Thin meats or Chipolata type sausages or home made burgers
Many sliced vegetables (Onion Tomato Pepper Aubergine Courgette)
Parboiled potatoes sliced medium and evenly.
We use the lid for heat retention.

To clean..Use a spray with water washing up liquid whilst still hot then wait then easy peasy

No not a true BBQ but outdoor/camp cooking
WIND is the biggest problem (but I now have tablets).
Yes we have a paella type pan and that can be used and with a lid..It also holds/cooks more food in one go

We like the CADAC so much we have one for home as well as one for the MH.

There's only the 2 of us but the size is perfect especially if myself and Mrs GMJ have different things (she likes fish and I don't). Plus when doing a full fry up, there is only just room for sausages, bacon, mushrooms and types of eggs (omelette and fried).

I also do 1 pot meals using the pot stand and a wok: curries, chillies, bolognaise sauce etc as well as standard BBQ fayre...

Graham :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back