Cheaper LPG!

David, purely for your info and if you find yourself around the Kirkcaldy Fife area, Morrisons supermarket sell both fuels.

Actually, it was that very station that made me think about this topic to start with a while back. I was at Loch Ore in Fife for a few days and the drive from Loch Ore back to the Borders and home takes me past ZERO LPG stations en-route. So I decided to have a little detour to Kirkcaldy as the LPG price there was a lot less than the place I have usually used at Lindesfarne on the A1 which I got to when southbound. ...

Filled with LPG AND Diesel there. Unfortunately the Diesel Price there was about 10p/Litre more then anywhere in the Borders (unusual, but there is was and I didn't realise until later on that day). And even more unfortunately, I somehow only managed to get less than 3 litres of LPG into the bottle. Don't understand how come so little but was what is was.
But end result is I spent extra money on fuel to get there; Spent more than I should have filling the Diesel tank; and saved less than 50p on the LPG 'fill up'.

Live and Learn :D

Actually, it was that very station that made me think about this topic to start with a while back. I was at Loch Ore in Fife for a few days and the drive from Loch Ore back to the Borders and home takes me past ZERO LPG stations en-route. So I decided to have a little detour to Kirkcaldy as the LPG price there was a lot less than the place I have usually used at Lindesfarne on the A1 which I got to when southbound. ...

Filled with LPG AND Diesel there. Unfortunately the Diesel Price there was about 10p/Litre more then anywhere in the Borders (unusual, but there is was and I didn't realise until later on that day). And even more unfortunately, I somehow only managed to get less than 3 litres of LPG into the bottle. Don't understand how come so little but was what is was.
But end result is I spent extra money on fuel to get there; Spent more than I should have filling the Diesel tank; and saved less than 50p on the LPG 'fill up'.

Not sure your best route but LPG at Musselburgh and Mayfield

Not sure your best route but LPG at Musselburgh and Mayfield
Again, it is one of those things which means a detour for either. Sometimes that is needed, but what annoys me a little is the folk that say "why don't you just put LPG in when you are passing?" when I have stated countless times it is rare that there are ANY places that I pass that sell LPG.
"We always use Morrisons. Use them" is a common one. Great, but the two Morrisons I go to occasionally (Berwick and Hawick) DON'T sell LPG.

For those in the lucky position of being able to pick and choose which one to stop at to get LPG as they pass by, good for them, but not everyone is in the same position. Hence I decided to do the maths just to see exactly how much it is worth detouring.

where are you David?

David, and I have posted this outlet before, I use Install oil, they have relocated and a far better road surface than their previous location to drive over. I purchased my Safefill tanks from them, fortunately I drive over with tank/s to be filled in my car. I am really fortunate to have them on my doorstep.

I may be wrong here, both Shell garages at Musselburgh and Mayfield are not keen to allow motorhomes to stock up with LPG?

A bit off-topic, but I don't understand how outlets selling LPG for Road Vehicles - such as Shell Musselburgh, Shell Mayfield can be so close in price to the outlets that sell for non-road use?
i.e. Shell Musselburgh ... 99p/Litre; Johnson Oil ... 95p/Litre. But the Musselburgh price will include fuel duty of 18p/Litre.
The non-Road use outlets, even when cheaper make more profit even why they seem to be 'nicer' to the consumer.

I have never (yet) driven to an lpg filling station and back. I simply top up whenever I pass a station offering lpg at a good price.

It’s easier for me because my 80 litre tank holds several weeks consumption - and I don't use any when not on the road.

I can afford to wait for a better price (ideally when passing near Birmingham)

Of course, this calculation is also walid for deciding how far out of your way to go.

You could also use the same approach for deciding how far it's worth going for cheaper diesel. Indeed, sometimes the cheap diesel is at the same place as the cheap.lpg.
Yep, ditto ! I use the FilLPG app and fill up at the cheapest on the way. A soley LPG filling place at Walsall just off J10 M6 always seems to be the cheapest at 66p a litre for the past 6 months.

David, and I have posted this outlet before, I use Install oil, they have relocated and a far better road surface than their previous location to drive over. I purchased my Safefill tanks from them, fortunately I drive over with tank/s to be filled in my car. I am really fortunate to have them on my doorstep.

I may be wrong here, both Shell garages at Musselburgh and Mayfield are not keen to allow motorhomes to stock up with LPG?

Only used Mayfield once , Musselburgh several times .
Never had a problem

Only used Mayfield once , Musselburgh several times .
Never had a problem
Because I have safefill bottles both shell garages would not let me fill, yet Morrison's and Gleaner stations are no problem. Same in France, no issues filling safefills. A MishMash of rules and regs!

Because I have safefill bottles both shell garages would not let me fill, yet Morrison's and Gleaner stations are no problem. Same in France, no issues filling safefills. A MishMash of rules and regs!
Mismash of rules?
Howabout the self-serve pump at St Boswells having a label advising that "no LPG bottles of any type must be filled" and below that instructions how to "refill bottles" :)

Got a tank so maybe different rules .
Have been pulled up in France with previous van . Didn't have external filling point

in France most of the GPL stations ( on motorways ) are the best place to fill up always on tap BUT you have to leave a deposit before they switch on the pump & for the second time since 2008 they have come out to check what we was filling & because we have a outside filler point he said OK .as regards filling up in the UK we dont have a problem as we dont use our m/h in the UK but we have filled up at Morrison's & Brownhill's ( you dont have to be a member to fill your LPG there ) .cheyenne

in France most of the GPL stations ( on motorways ) are the best place to fill up always on tap BUT you have to leave a deposit before they switch on the pump & for the second time since 2008 they have come out to check what we was filling & because we have a outside filler point he said OK .as regards filling up in the UK we dont have a problem as we dont use our m/h in the UK but we have filled up at Morrison's & Brownhill's ( you dont have to be a member to fill your LPG there ) .cheyenne
A member of what???

Mismash of rules?
Howabout the self-serve pump at St Boswells having a label advising that "no LPG bottles of any type must be filled" and below that instructions how to "refill bottles" :)
You need to take a pic of sign next time you visit station, that’s s belter 😂

Got a tank so maybe different rules .
Have been pulled up in France with previous van . Didn't have external filling point
Actually, when you think about it, and using safefill as an example. When filling tank is remote from MH/vehicle, if something were to go wrong such as leakage of sorts, tank is away from any potential ignition source. It was not that long ago someone was filling their internal tank and something went wrong, if memory serves me well, there was leakage at fill point and fridge on gas ignited and MH went on fire 😵‍💫

Actually, when you think about it, and using safefill as an example. When filling tank is remote from MH/vehicle, if something were to go wrong such as leakage of sorts, tank is away from any potential ignition source. It was not that long ago someone was filling their internal tank and something went wrong, if memory serves me well, there was leakage at fill point and fridge on gas ignited and MH went on fire 😵‍💫
Yes, that was a lady on Facts, she and the van are back on the road now.

Actually, when you think about it, and using safefill as an example. When filling tank is remote from MH/vehicle, if something were to go wrong such as leakage of sorts, tank is away from any potential ignition source. It was not that long ago someone was filling their internal tank and something went wrong, if memory serves me well, there was leak age at fill point and fridge on gas ignited and MH went on fire 😵‍💫
fridges should not be on when in a garage thats why when driving they should be on the alternator so when you pull in to fill up we anything the fridge has a 5 min delay before switching on ( thats if you have a auto fridge ) if not it should not be on gas pulling into a garage this is why you get the third-degree trying to fill up sometimes .cheyenne

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back