Cheaper LPG!

Unmanned? Really? Maybe self-service? ;) . Even the Costco stations that are totally automated always has someone on duty.
I've only ever filled up at one place where the LPG pump was even visible to the person who controls the pump activation. (but still self-service).

And the last place filled at was TOTALLY self-service.... You go to the pump, reset the meter/counter yourself, put your gas in (again with zero visibility to the person who is at the site), then go to the office and tell them how much you put in and pay.
I think Gleaner had them in some stations.

most if not all supermarket stations have been unmanned for years now thats why its cheaper BUT we have never come across one which just lets you help yourself to lpg pump ( for safety reasons ) in all the years we have been going .cheyenne
Honest gov. We were there in September & October this year and used pay-at-pump LPG at unmanned stations.
Also at one of the 9 fuel stations in Remich Luxembourg, we just pulled up the LPG pump, filled up then went in and paid.
Am I misunderstanding your point?

Honest gov. We were there in September & October this year and used pay-at-pump LPG at unmanned stations.
Also at one of the 9 fuel stations in Remich Luxembourg, we just pulled up the LPG pump, filled up then went in and paid.
Bit puzzled too . Place may be manned or unmanned but , virtually always , fill up unaided

Bit puzzled too . Place may be manned or unmanned but , virtually always , fill up unaided
well you can help me please with the place's where we can fill up like you would be a great help as we tour Europe a lot. cheyenne

I often wonder why some folks seem to have difficulty doing fairly simple tasks and others don't and think maybe it's the way some people go about doing things.

Absolutely. There are some French supermarket filling stations that turn off the LPG pump when unmanned (which prevented me filling up before leaving France last autumn), but others leave it operational. Never had any issues at manned self-service stations (and would not expect to).

I assume from comments that LPG isn't a problem once over the channel? is it cheaper too?

Just back from Europe . Filled up in France, Spain and Italy.
with self-service lpg ?? :unsure: well we did the same & never came across a self-service GPL pump in any of those country's .please supply address for our next trip thank you .as our last 3 month trip we was challenged & the guy came out to check & as for the motorways you will never get self-service as the pumps are turned off & you have to go in & leave a deposit . cheyenne

its never been a problem you just need to check when you need topping up on your tour .the only problem we had was in 2010 north east France they were a bit thin on the ground .but most motorways have GPL. cheyenne

View attachment 70597
let's hope they haven't closed in the last 18 months :)

with self-service lpg ?? :unsure: well we did the same & never came across a self-service GPL pump in any of those country's .please supply address for our next trip thank you .as our last 3 month trip we was challenged & the guy came out to check & as for the motorways you will never get self-service as the pumps are turned off & you have to go in & leave a deposit . cheyenne
If by self service you mean serving yourself from the pump (not pre paying at pump) then yes .
Occasionally paid deposit at cash desk , then went out and served myself.

Hyper U - Baule (45)
Carrefour - Avranches (50)
Dyneff - Lézignan-Corbières (11)
Hyper U - Mayenne (53)
Total - Gassin-la-Foux (83)
Auchan - Pérols (34)

All in the last 2 years, all self-service (no challenge, no deposit). Hyper U at Baule definitely unmanned, don't recall re the others.
Could go back further if you wish.

Worth noting that https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ will list filling stations in France with price and it is possible to select type(s) of fuel.
https://geoportalgasolineras.es/geoportal-instalaciones/Inicio appears to do the same for Spain.
In France, when GPL is pay-at-pump the payment machine is very often located not on the GPL pump but on an adjacent petrol/diesel pump.

If by self service you mean serving yourself from the pump (not pre paying at pump) then yes .
Occasionally paid deposit at cash desk , then went out and served myself.
hi. yes what i mean is we have NEVER been able to just pull up like you do for fuel what i mean is the lpg when you pull up to the pump on motorway services & connect nothing comes out you have to go to the pay desk first . of course you serve yourself once you have do that .cheyenne

I need to see what happens when you ring the number next to the pump if you're disabled.

Hyper U - Baule (45)
Carrefour - Avranches (50)
Dyneff - Lézignan-Corbières (11)
Hyper U - Mayenne (53)
Total - Gassin-la-Foux (83)
Auchan - Pérols (34)

All in the last 2 years, all self-service (no challenge, no deposit). Hyper U at Baule definitely unmanned, don't recall re the others.
Could go back further if you wish.

Worth noting that https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ will list filling stations in France with price and it is possible to select type(s) of fuel.
https://geoportalgasolineras.es/geoportal-instalaciones/Inicio appears to do the same for Spain.
In France, when GPL is pay-at-pump the payment machine is very often located not on the GPL pump but on an adjacent petrol/diesel pump.
i am talking about on french motorways not supermarkets plus next time try helping yourself at this one in Calais if your filling point is not outside YOU will not get any .cheyenne

Screenshot 2023-11-16 111111.png

i am talking about on french motorways not supermarkets plus next time try helping yourself at this one in Calais if your filling point is not outside YOU will not get any .cheyenne

View attachment 70601
My filling point is on the outside - it seemed to be the sensible place to have it. :) I cross nowhere near Calais and haven't been there for a couple of decades, though I intend to explore the area from the landward side at some point. I've never felt the urge to use toll motorways in the motorhome, as I voluntarily restrict my speed in the interests of reduced fuel consumption and prefer to see towns and villages, and would not normally think to purchase fuel at motorway service areas.

My filling point is on the outside - it seemed to be the sensible place to have it. :) I cross nowhere near Calais and haven't been there for a couple of decades, though I intend to explore the area from the landward side at some point. I've never felt the urge to use toll motorways in the motorhome, as I voluntarily restrict my speed in the interests of reduced fuel consumption and prefer to see towns and villages, and would not normally think to purchase fuel at motorway service areas.
We use peage and get a decent split between free and chargeable versions, the almost traffic-free roads giving better mpg with easy average speeds. We use the nearest supermarket to overnight stops for both diesel and LPG refills, and the [usually] free Aires and cheaper LPG fairy close to cost neutral, compared to UK driving

UK and France have roughly similar sizes of population and similar economies/standards of living. So, all things being equal, both countries will raise the same tax revenues. In France, the tax on Pensions, Health Insurance, Unemployment, Electrical goods etc are higher than UK, but variable VAT rates on things such as Home Improvement. UK has lower Income Tax rates, NI rates are lower and cover Health, Pensions and Unemployment [but at lower payout levels]. A lot of car spare consumables are much cheaper in French supermarkets, so a pair of wiper blades, a couple of packs of spare fuses, an oil filter for DIY servicers can offset the cost of having to buy , say, a replacement battery for your electrical screwdriver. [UK price for a pair of Hitachi electrical screwdrivers about 10 years ago was £99.99. French replacement battery was £172+ ...

It's only money and it's only painful if you have buy a highly taxed product abroad :rolleyes:

Steve

we tour Europe 3 months at a time twice covering between 1500&3000 miles so we need to use the motorways to get to the villages where " camping car park " sites are situated . plus on our winter trip to Spain you want to get through France as it can be colder than the UK .we always take a french /Spanish's gas bottle with us for backup .to drive from Calais to the alps without using the motorway :unsure:by the time you got there it would be time to come home :ROFLMAO:cheyenne

DSC01797.JPGSDC11232.JPGDSC01717.JPGDSC00008.JPG

I generally don't use motorways - even free ones- in Europe as I'm no longer in a rush to get anywhere and I prefer to see the countryside rather than a motorway embankment. I certainly avoid the service stations and their high prices. The other downside of motorways is that satnags by default always route you on a motorway and as most people use satnags motorways are far busier. If there is a problem then long jams occur.

Nope ...I'm happier bumbling along at 50mph seeing the wonderful countryside and wildlife and small towns and hamlets ...which is what touring a country is all about in my book?

Jeremy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back