Diesel night heaters

You could have a look here - 'Chinese' Diesel Heater - for my own experience.

Motorhome builder? Is that yet another self build forum? I'm getting lost in all the ones appearing and disappearing. SBMCC was very busy and useful when I built (though was £ to join and read).

Motorhome builder? Is that yet another self build forum? I'm getting lost in all the ones appearing and disappearing. SBMCC was very busy and useful when I built (though was £ to join and read).
It's a sister forum to this one - check with phil but think the membership is carried over from here if you join it?
I was a SBMCC member for a short time but I really didn't like the fact you had to pay a fee just for basic access so rarely posted TBH.

It's a sister forum to this one - check with phil but think the membership is carried over from here if you join it?
I was a SBMCC member for a short time but I really didn't like the fact you had to pay a fee just for basic access so rarely posted TBH.
True - but TBH the skills on there (when filtered :)) were fantastic and gave me enough advice to do a good job. The problem with the others forums is they don't tend to have the following... Too many around with too few genuine experts being spread out. SBMCC was annoying as after I finished and did a reasonable job, I'd like to have paid back with my experiences - and I did till I had to pay again! :( Not planning to start build#2 for a few years and I'm sure it'd have changed again!

True - but TBH the skills on there (when filtered :)) were fantastic and gave me enough advice to do a good job. The problem with the others forums is they don't tend to have the following... Too many around with too few genuine experts being spread out. SBMCC was annoying as after I finished and did a reasonable job, I'd like to have paid back with my experiences - and I did till I had to pay again! :( Not planning to start build#2 for a few years and I'm sure it'd have changed again!
That was the thing with SBMCC... You had to pay to help other people. I don't have an issue with forums having a sub for extra features - I subscribe to a couple myself and run a forum where some members subscribe, but basic accessibility? Nah, no thanks.

Trust had a night next to a very noisy one.
I don't know how they can sleep in their van with a jet engine!
Avoid as neighbours unless you are deaf.

Trust had a night next to a very noisy one.
I don't know how they can sleep in their van with a jet engine!
Avoid as neighbours unless you are deaf.
Not so, ours was VERY noisy on first install, but fitting silencer to exhaust and you have to be standing next to the van and listening for it to actually hear it. The noisiest thing is a "tick" of the fuel pump. Inside its a gentle purr.....

Hi, ferenza here. Does anyone know where to fit a planner night heater in a fiat Ducato in a swift ace firenza.
Thanks in advance.

do people who have got the cheap Chinese one`s use the separate tank or use the van`s fuel tank.

do people who have got the cheap Chinese one`s use the separate tank or use the van`s fuel tank.
Either is doable. They always seem to come with a tank of between 4L and 10L though.
I tee'd in to the Fuel Supply for an existing Webasto Engine Preheater on the VW T5 I installed on one a couple of months ago.
On my own VW LT I used the seperate tank as I wanted to use a cleaner and cheaper fuel and I had a very handy location for the tank

Fuel Station on Carrier
by David, on Flickr

Fuel Station - Raised
by David, on Flickr

I wouldn't really want to have the fuel tank stored internally though.

Yep, don't have fuel in habitation area - not a good idea!
I've been researching the Chinese ones in depth , and have to say, I'd go with one next time. I've even located the manuals and they are virtually identical to mine, and the parts look identical - so seems silly not to give it a go. Disposable if it fails and the install size appears the same (Mine is MV Aero rather than Webasto). Though I've seen it as a different brand in other countries.
Last time I fitted to tank (no option for safe second tank) - but would use separate tank next time.
You mention "cleaner and cheaper fuel" - what do you mean by that? Red diesel is cheaper but still has additives? Just interested :)
I'd also add, teeing into fuel lines isn't a great idea on modern diesels with high pressure setups - you need to put your own pick up in the tank (generally through the fuel sender unit).

I've been researching the Chinese ones in depth , and have to say, I'd go with one next time. I've even located the manuals and they are virtually identical to mine, and the parts look identical - so seems silly not to give it a go. Disposable if it fails and the install size appears the same (Mine is MV Aero rather than Webasto). Though I've seen it as a different brand in other countries.
Last time I fitted to tank (no option for safe second tank) - but would use separate tank next time.
You mention "cleaner and cheaper fuel" - what do you mean by that? Red diesel is cheaper but still has additives? Just interested :)
The physical installation is the same as an Eberspacher, so if someone really wanted an Eberspacher Airtronic but fancied giving the cheaper heater a go, they could try and and if didn't suit, swap over with minimal distruption and some parts sharing (the parts may "look" identical but be aware they are not in reality! There is a significant difference in quality of just about EVERYTHING from the heater housing to the pipework right down to the jubilee clips - but I would expect to be able to reuse the inlet/exhaust pipework, wiring for fuel pump can be reused, fuel pipe maybe (different internal diameter)).

my "cleaner and cheaper fuel" is 'Heating Oil' aka '018 Kerosene' - 60p/litre rather than £1.40/litre.
Normally no additives but inherently cleaner burning. I say normally no additives as the last delivery of Kerosene I got a couple of days ago included some kind of cleaner-burn additive (not used in Diesel Heater yet)

I'd also add, teeing into fuel lines isn't a great idea on modern diesels with high pressure setups - you need to put your own pick up in the tank (generally through the fuel sender unit).
I seperated this point as it is a very important point.
I mentioned I tee'd into an existing fuel pipe when I installed on the T5 a couple of months ago - this in MY case was TOTALLY ok. This is because the fuel pipe I broke into was an unpressurised pipe that went to a Webasto Pre-Engine Heater. Most vehicles do not have existing diesel heaters installed such as these that means you can share the fuel pipes from or have tap-off points on the tank (some Sprinters do I believe?)
In THOSE cases, dropping the tank to fit a standpipe is usually the only way if you want to use a common fuel source.

The physical installation is the same as an Eberspacher, so if someone really wanted an Eberspacher Airtronic but fancied giving the cheaper heater a go, they could try and and if didn't suit, swap over with minimal distruption and some parts sharing (the parts may "look" identical but be aware they are not in reality! There is a significant difference in quality of just about EVERYTHING from the heater housing to the pipework right down to the jubilee clips - but I would expect to be able to reuse the inlet/exhaust pipework, wiring for fuel pump can be reused, fuel pipe maybe (different internal diameter)).

my "cleaner and cheaper fuel" is 'Heating Oil' aka '018 Kerosene' - 60p/litre rather than £1.40/litre.
Normally no additives but inherently cleaner burning. I say normally no additives as the last delivery of Kerosene I got a couple of days ago included some kind of cleaner-burn additive (not used in Diesel Heater yet)

I seperated this point as it is a very important point.
I mentioned I tee'd into an existing fuel pipe when I installed on the T5 a couple of months ago - this in MY case was TOTALLY ok. This is because the fuel pipe I broke into was an unpressurised pipe that went to a Webasto Pre-Engine Heater. Most vehicles do not have existing diesel heaters installed such as these that means you can share the fuel pipes from or have tap-off points on the tank (some Sprinters do I believe?)
In THOSE cases, dropping the tank to fit a standpipe is usually the only way if you want to use a common fuel source.

see forum has the stutter back :)

"Rickvanman" on his YouTube channel, has just fitted one of these under his bed. Very simply done, and has a separate fuel tank for it.

"Rickvanman" on his YouTube channel, has just fitted one of these under his bed. Very simply done, and has a separate fuel tank for it.
Will no doubt be accused of being a know-all and down on anyone else, but he didn't actually install it correctly :(

To be specific, he has his fresh air inlet vent coming in from the outside (specifically pulling air from under the van). The air inlet is really meant to be a recycling inlet so you are not constantly heating outside air, but warming up the air already in the vehicle
(not keen on his fuel tank (which is vented) being right next to his drinking water either TBH).

Last edited:
I have an inlet on the Eberspächer inside (big, short plastic hose with grill on end) but do they not also have an inlet outside Dave? I ask as they do inlet and outlet silencers which I have on order but not seen yet

I have an inlet on the Eberspächer inside (big, short plastic hose with grill on end) but do they not also have an inlet outside Dave? I ask as they do inlet and outlet silencers which I have on order but not seen yet
indeed so.
there are inlet and outlet ports for the heater combustion chamber. They are 24mm dia. and are always external (think of them as the inlet and exhaust manifolds in engine terms).
you then have the inlet and outlet ports for the air to be heated. the outlet is the heated air. The outlet is where the warmed air comes out of course and goes into the van. the inlet can be fed from outside but it makes zero sense to do so as you are always heating the coldest air possible constantly rather than warming up recycled internal air (just like you would with say an electric fan heater.)
In fact. I just watched the video bit again and he did not have the fresh air inlet outside I think! he said "I've got the air intake all sealed..." and showed a picture of the pipework outside - but on pausing the video, it was a photo of the exhaust exit at such an angle it looked much larger than the rest of the exhaust pipe which made it look like a big air inlet. so he DID install the pipework right. (Rick usually does very neat work so that makes more sense :) I have seen some installs where the fresh/cabin air inlet has been fed from outside - usually with externally mounted heaters to save making another big hole. it is technically permissible and Eberspacher give it as an option in their installation instructions, but it is very inefficient.)

Mine is all inside, body if heater and inlet, under the fixed bed next to fresh water tank. Well next except tank is boxed in on sided

Normal heating oil? Interesting - can you get that at that price in small quantities?

My heater as I say is MV Aero - so that's all I can compare it to - I'm not sure if mine is just a tested/rebranded Chinese one :) As I say, the manual and technical diagrams is almost identical. Anyway, how "van 2" is being designed (powerpoint only, ETA 2 years+ lol) - the heater would be easily accessible and easily replaced if needbe.)

Normal heating oil? Interesting - can you get that at that price in small quantities?

My heater as I say is MV Aero - so that's all I can compare it to - I'm not sure if mine is just a tested/rebranded Chinese one :) As I say, the manual and technical diagrams is almost identical. Anyway, how "van 2" is being designed (powerpoint only, ETA 2 years+ lol) - the heater would be easily accessible and easily replaced if needbe.)
Is normal heating oil not just red diesel? Don’t know how common it is but I know some garages sell it, one step daughter worked at in Hull certainly does

Yes they will run off red diesel , I have run mine for four years on red , 78p ltr at our local petrol station :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back