Do you use an inverter in your motorhome?

Do you use an inverter in your motorhome?

• Yes

Votes: 94 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 28.8%

• Total voters
I was just wondering how many members use an inverter in their motorhome.
What size and make of inverter do you have?

I have a Victron Multiplus inverter charger (12/3000/120). It is a 2400watt (3000VA) nominal, 6000watt Max inverter. It also has a built in 120 amp battery charger which is ideal for my battery bank.
Only 500w, wired through a relay so only operational when engine running, used to recharge electric bike/laptop and other high current devices

My wife couldn't manage without our inverter. I was unsure about installing it but after a web search found a post from a guy who had his wired to the vehicle battery which meant that although we have to run the motor, the alternator punches enough charge out to keep battery level high and we don't drain the leisure set. And of course it's only in use for 5 mins max. I used a Ring 2200w model, which has twin outputs and has power level indicator. Have run a hairdryer, a kettle and the microwave(not together of course). Such a useful addition.

Yes, i have 2 Sterling Inverters

1, Pro Power Q 12v, 350w for the TV, Satellite, Laptops, Cooling Fan and Razor then i don`t have to mess about changing all the leads to 12v ones.

http://www.sp-shop.co.uk/Sterling-Power-Pro-Power-Q-12v-350w-Inverter-PN-I12350.html

2, Pro Power Q 12v, 1800w for the Microwave and Hairdryer as recommended by Winks

http://www.sp-shop.co.uk/Sterling-Power-Pro-Power-Q-12v-1800w-Inverter-PN-I121800.html

I`m very happy with the set up i have which works very well for our needs.

I have a small 130w job. ideal for charging toothbrushes and running a laptop watching netflix. We got the main van battery flat on one occasion, using it, fortunately got a bump start.

We have a 1500w Inverter so my wife doesn't have to go without her favourite (Nesspresso) coffee wherever we might be.

We have a 1500w Inverter so my wife doesn't have to go without her favourite (Nesspresso) coffee wherever we might be.
And others say they have inverters that are even higher powered!
You are, I presume, powering it from your 12v battery - so at full power the inverter will be drawing 1500/12 = 125 amps. In order to avoid the risk of fire by burning out the cable, what size of wire do you use for the connection? And if you use it for anything more than a very few minutes, do you (and others) not find it flattens your battery?
I ask these questions because I have fitted an inverter, but deliberately installed one of only 150 watts so as to avoid any such problems. Have I been too cautious?

And others say they have inverters that are even higher powered!
You are, I presume, powering it from your 12v battery - so at full power the inverter will be drawing 1500/12 = 125 amps. In order to avoid the risk of fire by burning out the cable, what size of wire do you use for the connection? And if you use it for anything more than a very few minutes, do you (and others) not find it flattens your battery?
I ask these questions because I have fitted an inverter, but deliberately installed one of only 150 watts so as to avoid any such problems. Have I been too cautious?

Hi,

You are correct in assuming that our inverter is connected to our 12v Leisure battery, by a cable about the same size as goes to the starter motor. I know that doesn't sound very technical but is was calculated at the time, I just don't remember the exact size that I used.

It is also protected by an appropriate fuse and is "completely" isolated when not in use (by an appropriately sized manual switch), most inverters have a fairly large draw even when not supplying any load.

It only takes a few minutes to make a couple of cups of coffee and although it's a 1500W inverter the actual load is less than 1500W in our case. I deliberately selected one with spare capacity, so it's not stretched to it's limit.

If you know what load you have and design everything accordingly, I cannot see any issues with larger inverters.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Mine is a 2000 pure sine wave and is great, my wife as a medical implant that as to be charged every day and it works fine also use it for my ipad and phone.Peter.

I have 2, an 80 watt and a 150 watt.

We have a 12 volt cooling Fan, the Wife uses that to dry her hair.

I have a 2000W inverter installed when the air conditioner was fitted It is a Dometic DC4 kit to power the air conditioner when travelling, also gives me a better charge rate some how.
Best Wishes Tony

After camping for a while with the new inverter I have found making toast in my travel toaster so much easier that under the grill and because it's for breakfast I have the rest of the day to replenish the battery.
Solar toast is the only way forward?

Just a 500w pure sign wave to charge a couple of bits and bobs with only 240v charge options
Thinking about trying a150w slow cooker traveling in sink from it whilst traveling so tea ready when I get to my destination

Any one tried this??

LT Man

After camping for a while with the new inverter I have found making toast in my travel toaster so much easier that under the grill and because it's for breakfast I have the rest of the day to replenish the battery.
Solar toast is the only way forward?
Lee got President I say :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back