Do you use an inverter in your motorhome?

Do you use an inverter in your motorhome?

• Yes

Votes: 94 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 28.8%

• Total voters
Or a buzz-cut? save money on hairdressers as well :)

Primarily the wife being able to use the hairdryer whilst off-grid makes my life worth living and is much better for my health o_O

Also, being able to use the microwave whilst off-grid makes life a lot easier especially not having to have a steamer running for ages.

We have a 3000w Spannungswandler in the Transit with remote panel that we used for all our cooking (microwave /toaster /kettle /slow cooker etc)
And may possibly fit the same again in the Swift as part of upgrading it to be more off grid capable....
That said I've got a waeco 1000w with mains priority spare that might be more suitable for the new van.

Phil, as usual I have no knowledge of inverters but using a Remoska or Induction hob when not on hook up sounds good..
We have a 120 solar panel and 2 x 115amp batteries.. What would your recommendation be? Saving up for refillable gas as we use a lot.. Oops.. Many thanks.

I have a 500w modified sine wave and a 3000/6000w pure sine wave that need fitting in with a new system so I can run the microwave when off grid. I am intending to use that only with engine running and will link in with the leisure batteries to smooth out any fluctuation from the alternator, which may be upgraded along with the wiring. I have an Ebike, HP Laptop, (HP apparently only recommend pure sine wave), an egg incubator. Thinking about what type leisure batteries to get, basic/maintenance free/calcium flooded, enhanced flooded battery, AGM, Gel, I can't even say Lithium, very very expensive. Just removed my 80a Gel battery and I think its almost 19 years old. I have got to check the makers date codes. Anyone else had Gel last that long?

As for the important part, I have a 12 volt hair dryer.

12/3000/6000/70 Photonic Universe PSW inverter, connected to all (except fridge and cooker) sockets via automatic relay, with 300AH Lithium and 450 solar on our Delaware. Bombproof and gives us huge flexibility - hairdryer (of course - the original reason for doing it), microwave (blew up a smaller inverter), and pod coffee maker plus toaster. Need heavy cables (70mm) and short cable runs to avoid voltage drop/heating. Expensive of course, but when full-timing, very very useful. Runs 65A with hairdryer (about 10 minutes intermittently) and 120A or so with microwave.

Yeah, there's one in there but I never use it. I presume it still works, haven't used it for years. I did once cook a curry in the slow cooker using the inverter. I bought it to run the TV & DVD player from, but the kids complained it was so noisy they couldn't hear the TV.

Toyed with the idea of an inverter but was put off by stories of damage they do to the leisure batteries so opted for a 2000w Kipor generator instead. just for wifey’s hairdryer and the coffee pod machine.

An inverter won't damage the battery(s) if there's enough capacity (and battery type) to sustain a heavy current draw, so larger batteries and inverter go hand in hand. We used to use a Kipor 2600W generator but the noise and inconvenience of having to lug it out of the garage, connect it up, start it, then reverse the process made it too hard. On-board inverters are just so convenient!

An inverter won't damage the battery(s) if there's enough capacity (and battery type) to sustain a heavy current draw, so larger batteries and inverter go hand in hand. We used to use a Kipor 2600W generator but the noise and inconvenience of having to lug it out of the garage, connect it up, start it, then reverse the process made it too hard. On-board inverters are just so convenient!
that is the key word ..... "if"
Many people buy big inverters to run a heavy power device like a hairdryer but forget the power source. A 2000W Hairdryer will draw nearly 200A from the battery - that is a lot of power to suck from a battery - especially a typical Motorhome setup of 100Ah or so. I'm not sure how long the inverter would actually run before it would cut out due to voltage drop.
It is also both a lot of heat generated due to usually undersized cables supplied with most inverters (which is another cause of additional voltage drop).
I'm a fairly heavy inverter user, having an all-electric Camper and so relying on Electric Cooking, Electric Water Heating and Electric Fridge (all 240V AC), but have a reasonably sized Battery Bank to deal with it and charging facility to bring the energy back up (as well as an Generator as a backup).

Last edited:
Spot on Wilde....

We ran a microwave /toaster /kettle /slow cooker etc from our 3000w inverter/3 x 100ah leisure batteries for over 3 years...
With only solar and VSR (no hook up)
Never had an issue power wise... And batteries are still going strong....
Having recently upped to a Swift 590rs.... I have to say its off grid caperbilities are going to need some work this coming year....
More batteries/solar and better charging etc

This is one area where I get really confused. I have a laptop, which to be fair I only need to charge between uses, so whilst travelling. But I will be not using hook ups much as free camping. Now I have 12v car charger and usb ports in van can I use those or do I need an inverter?
The laptop has a 180w adapter so enough inverter power for that i guess?
oh forgot to add 1x110 battery and 120 solar panel.

This is one area where I get really confused. I have a laptop, which to be fair I only need to charge between uses, so whilst travelling. But I will be not using hook ups much as free camping. Now I have 12v car charger and usb ports in van can I use those or do I need an inverter?
The laptop has a 180w adapter so enough inverter power for that i guess?
oh forgot to add 1x110 battery and 120 solar panel.
12V and USB power comes direct from the Battery.
for 240V AC (like at home) you need an inverter. The best way to think about it is if it ha a 13A plug it is 240V AC

For your laptop, your standard adapter will be 240AC.
You have two basic choices - 1) use the mains adapter you have and get an inverter or 2) get a 12V Adapter for the Laptop.

As you have said you think you will only need to recharge the laptop battery when you are travelling, I would suggest a little 300W inverter would be the best option - something like this: https://amzn.to/2QgEhBV
The benefit of this over a specific 12V laptop adapter is if you change your laptop or someone else wants to charge their laptop, you don't have to get another 12V adapter.

Thank you very much Wildebus, in my head all this got so confusing. I have about 15 tabs opened on different pages trying to understand it all but your explanation was brilliant.

70% Yes 30% No,,,,,,, Theres more folk use them than I thought, I have a 2KW one powered by 5x110Amp batteries which are charged off of the engine, it runs Microwave, Sky Box, Telly, Toaster, Microwave, USB charging and the usual Hairdryers, straighteners ect.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back