Do you use an inverter in your motorhome?

Do you use an inverter in your motorhome?

• Yes

Votes: 94 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 28.8%

• Total voters
Have just bought 350w Dometic pure sign wave unit fused at 35A to leisure battery

I intend connecting to CBE 13a socket and activated by remote switch in same CBE frame to match existing sockets etc .

I have to check wiring as bought switch with led light so as to make it easier remember to switch off.

Mark

We have a split charger which charges van and leisure whilst engine is running and 100w solar connected to leisure battery .

Thinking of maybe getting another battery as well as existing is 85ah.

I have a 300W pure sine wave. Only use it for the 240V TV and Braun toothbrush charging. Previous inverter was not sine wave and it blew the Braun charger. Braun confirmed sine wave was required.

Victron Phoenix 12/500 pure sine wave. Charges phones, pads, tooth brushes, shaver and most importantly runs my cpap machine all night. Very pleased with it. I don’t find the eco mode suits me because the minimum setting doesn’t go low enough to be triggered by phone charger. However with the bluetooth dongle I can easily switch it on and off as needed, which avoids unnecessary wasted battery drain. The ios app is ok but could contain more info about cumulative power use but I can get all this info on the same app from my BMV battery monitor which has excellent information.

Victron Phoenix 12/500 pure sine wave. Charges phones, pads, tooth brushes, shaver and most importantly runs my cpap machine all night. Very pleased with it. I don’t find the eco mode suits me because the minimum setting doesn’t go low enough to be triggered by phone charger. However with the bluetooth dongle I can easily switch it on and off as needed, which avoids unnecessary wasted battery drain. The ios app is ok but could contain more info about cumulative power use but I can get all this info on the same app from my BMV battery monitor which has excellent information.
The remote switching is very handy on the Victron Inverters, isnt it. I turned mine off about 30 minutes ago via the Internet as no longer going away this weekend so not needed.

Not got one in the motorhome as we only have one leisure battery and solar panel, but had one on my boat that switched itself on automatically if we unplugged from shore power or if the onboard generator was not on, but then we had a bank of four leisure batteries on board to power it. Mainly used for the microwave and TVs that were 240 volt and the hairdryer.

600W Maplin for charging laptop and Dyson (overkill). ghd hair straighteners only work with a pure sine wave inverter, so we also have a Mercury 300W pure sine wave inverter, just for the ghd's. I persuaded Lynne to let her hair dry naturally as I didn't want to buy such a large inverter for a hair drier.

I think ours is 400w , just use it for phones and tablets. I havn't enough power to use for hairstraighteners. When/if my fridge gives up I might have to have a rethink, cos the New leccy fridges sound good.
What exactly do you mean by not enough power for hair straingtners? ghd's are 120Watt. I don't think any straighteners are greater than 400W. But ghd's will only work with a pure sine wave. I can't comment on other makes. Lynne tells me that 12V straightners (and other cheaper makes of 240V) don't get hot enough for her. It HAS to be ghd!

I had a 1000w inverter and used it occasionally for the hair drier and pumping up air beds when my son camped with us.
I have just changed it to a pure sine wave 1500w because when we were away Linda was complaining about her iPad not charging quickly enough and if we had a remote start on the inverter she could use the hair drier more, plus our granddaughter travels with us and has a hover board to charge, so I decided a new inverter might make my life simpler.
Only time will tell if this all works out.
I know there are other ways to charge an iPad but hopefully the new inverter will find other uses.

What's an Inverter Lee?

I keep looking at them but I'm worried that my battery will drain quickly and so I've held off for the time being.

Regards,
Del

I don't have an inverter yet but thinking about one as always wild camp my question is im going to go for a 1000w one but if I bought a 2000w one and say I just had the tv on it would the 2000w one use more battery power than the 1000w one for the same item or would it use more as it's twice the size in theory thanks

I have now fitted one to power the gas/electric water heater from batterys, so if not plugged in to mains i can drive and use inverter rather than gas.

I’ve got a 2000w Ring unit for use when the chef wants to nuke my dinner. Allied with 440ah batteries.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back