Electric Vehicles (EV's)

Aberdeen has had a fleet of hydrogen powered buses (with more on order I understand) and Aberdeenshire Council has run a fleet of hydrogen powered cars for the past 4 years, all still going strong. There are 2 hydrogen filling stations in Aberdeen out of a total of 15 (I believe) in the UK so locally ok but I wouldn’t like to travel too far from these 2 stations!

Aberdeen has had a fleet of hydrogen powered buses (with more on order I understand) and Aberdeenshire Council has run a fleet of hydrogen powered cars for the past 4 years, all still going strong. There are 2 hydrogen filling stations in Aberdeen out of a total of 15 (I believe) in the UK so locally ok but I wouldn’t like to travel too far from these 2 stations!
These are fuel cell buses, which is the only way to use hydrogen efficiently and uses green hydrogen, which must really piss off the fossil fuel Industry that Aberdeen has relied on for years. For mass transport it's a neat solution.

The big advantage with hydrogen that people tend to forget is the range and the speed of filling up.

I do see hydrogen probably producing the electricity similar to hybrids in a car maybe rather than ice but motorhomes, vans, lorry’s, busses etc could be some version of ice.

I may come across as anti ev but I quite like a lot about them but don’t see them as a long term solution in their present form. If I could have some means of charging at home that worked my current car would have been ev. I am extremely happy with my hybrid though and I have no charging problems or range anxiety

The big advantage with hydrogen that people tend to forget is the range and the speed of filling up.

I do see hydrogen probably producing the electricity similar to hybrids in a car maybe rather than ice but motorhomes, vans, lorry’s, busses etc could be some version of ice.

I may come across as anti ev but I quite like a lot about them but don’t see them as a long term solution in their present form. If I could have some means of charging at home that worked my current car would have been ev. I am extremely happy with my hybrid though and I have no charging problems or range anxiety
The big problem with hydrogen in an ICE is it won't have range without a huge amount of storage capacity. That's ok in a big vehicle not so good in a small one. It's also hugely inefficient and produces more co2 much better to just burn the gas in the first place.

Cost is a big issue too until it becomes more popular then will it be taxed like fuel is now? https://stillwaterassociates.com/how-does-the-cost-of-hydrogen-stack-up-against-gasoline/

If HMG suceeds in getting all oil powered vehicles off the road, that tax loss will need to be replaced.

And we also have to consider what the oil producing countries will do too, it's been an imense earner for them for a long time, also there is still a lot of oil down there, I've seen estimates of enough for a 50 years at the current rate of use, are we just going to leave it there? I doubt it when the infrasructure is already in place and well understood, it'll probably just be refracted into diesel but no petrol.

1670434771591.png

Cost is a big issue too until it becomes more popular then will it be taxed like fuel is now? https://stillwaterassociates.com/how-does-the-cost-of-hydrogen-stack-up-against-gasoline/

If HMG suceeds in getting all oil powered vehicles off the road, that tax loss will need to be replaced.

And we also have to consider what the oil producing countries will do too, it's been an imense earner for them for a long time, also there is still a lot of oil down there, I've seen estimates of enough for a 50 years at the current rate of use, are we just going to leave it there? I doubt it when the infrasructure is already in place and well understood, it'll probably just be refracted into diesel but no petrol.

View attachment 65190
If it was only about money then there is an obvious winner. But it's not. There is far more at stake than the profits of big oil.

What makes you say that?

Most of that is completely wrong, the seabed isn't wrecked for "part of the fuel". Very few EVs have been scrapped and the batteries are repurposed into home storage systems. The very early EVs do require replacement batteries if range is an issue but newer ones don't and won't for many years. Even when they do start to degrade it doesn't make them unusable just reduces range a bit.
Strange as there was a program about the scrapping of seabed for cobalt, and very young children digging for components in open cast mines.

If it was only about money then there is an obvious winner. But it's not. There is far more at stake than the profits of big oil.
That is exactly what everything to do with power and energy IS about. Greed and profits. They may add tags to make things popular but don’t make the mistake of thinking EV or any other type of propulsion is ultimately about anything other than profit.

It will be a while before we see commercial airlines replacing fossil fuel I suspect

What will they do when it all runs out in 47 years?

Sure they will find more, but eventually it will be gone.

Eventually it will run out, we are unlikely to see it happen but we will see the run up to countries wanting to invade other countries for their resources, I think we may have already with Putin.

Eventually it will run out, we are unlikely to see it happen but we will see the run up to countries wanting to invade other countries for their resources, I think we may have already with Putin.
Invading country’s for oil and resources has been going on a mighty long time. It won’t run out in 47 years because demand wil decrease. Before it gets anywhere near that state the big boys will roll out some of the technology they have been suppressing.

I remember us being told the world reserves would be depleted not far off the year 2000

I agree, and the invasions will get worse and over different shortages until we press the big red button, water, food land, we are rapidly killing our planet but there is not much we can do about it really, we can re-use and recycle etc, but what we really need to do is stop making thing that are single use, or needs to be upgraded year on year like phones etc

I agree, and the invasions will get worse and over different shortages until we press the big red button, water, food land, we are rapidly killing our planet but there is not much we can do about it really, we can re-use and recycle etc, but what we really need to do is stop making thing that are single use, or needs to be upgraded year on year like phones etc
Meanwhile. the log burning brigade are producing some 345 times the air pollution [much higher if the wood is still wet] than from ICE, and high concentrations of carcinogens indoors, especially from the close quarters blowing on the embers/kindling to revive the fire or get it started ...

But, on the bright side, if your lungs succumb to cancer in the next few years, the 47 years reserves of oil ceases to be a problem; and the 2030 ban on ICE vehicle sales might also become hypothetical, as long as you don't choose cremation for your send off ... :oops:

Steve

We have several idiot log burners on this street, at first thought it seems a good solution, but as said it is far worse than diesel etc, and I bet a some also burn their household waste on them too, I know we used to use our coal fires as a kid to save using the dustbins, spud peelings etc all went on there.

Be wise and have a bucket full of shillings for the meter, if them fans stop you could be up there forever.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back