Electric Vehicles (EV's)

But what about all the fossil fuels involved in the production of the car and the solar panels?
Who ever said there wasn't a carbon footprint to producing EVs? There's a carbon footprint to everything we do 🙄. However over the Lifetime of a car an EV has a much smaller carbon footprint. Over the lifetime of a solar panel it has a much smaller carbon footprint than building and maintaining a fossil fuel power station.
Net zero is about not adding more than the planet can take out, it really is quite simple and elegant.

Who ever said there wasn't a carbon footprint to producing EVs? There's a carbon footprint to everything we do 🙄. However over the Lifetime of a car an EV has a much smaller carbon footprint. Over the lifetime of a solar panel it has a much smaller carbon footprint than building and maintaining a fossil fuel power station.
Net zero is about not adding more than the planet can take out, it really is quite simple and elegant.
Electric cars have a higher footprint, due to wrecking the seabed for parts of the fuel, and disposal when knackerd, also the fact that they will only last half the time of a ice car due to folk not wanting to buy a 5 grand replacement batter, so the car is worthless and scrapped early.

If you want zero emission, carbon neutral, environmentally friendly then it should be nuclear power stations. Of course people don’t like them in case terrorists target them or natural disaster/something going wrong. And it will give plenty of power to produce hydrogen and charge ev’s without any fossil fuels

Electric cars have a higher footprint, due to wrecking the seabed for parts of the fuel, and disposal when knackerd, also the fact that they will only last half the time of a ice car due to folk not wanting to buy a 5 grand replacement batter, so the car is worthless and scrapped early.
Most of that is completely wrong, the seabed isn't wrecked for "part of the fuel". Very few EVs have been scrapped and the batteries are repurposed into home storage systems. The very early EVs do require replacement batteries if range is an issue but newer ones don't and won't for many years. Even when they do start to degrade it doesn't make them unusable just reduces range a bit.

If you want zero emission, carbon neutral, environmentally friendly then it should be nuclear power stations. Of course people don’t like them in case terrorists target them or natural disaster/something going wrong. And it will give plenty of power to produce hydrogen and charge ev’s without any fossil fuels
Nuclear isn't carbon neutral, although probably nearer to neutral than gas, oil or coal. Taking into account all the processes involved it's still a net carbon producer.
It may be part of the solution but in reality fusion is the golden egg.
Hydrogen for personal transport is a red herring, it isn't a solution. Given that most hydrogen currently produced come from natural gas, volumetrically it takes up too much space, it's very hard to transport and compress and still requires an electric motor and battery to drive the vehicle.

Hydrogen for personal transport is a red herring, it isn't a solution. Given that most hydrogen currently produced come from natural gas, volumetrically it takes up too much space, it's very hard to transport and compress and still requires an electric motor and battery to drive the vehicle.
Not quite acurate Drew and things will improve, if/when we do get fusion then Hydrogen will be the best way to power vehicles and it'll be with minor changes to ICE vehicles, JCB are already doing tests with diggers etc as they need power too, theoretically they could use batteries but ICE is just more convenient.

I wonder if we'll ever get delorian cars with fusion motors, beyond my alloted time I suppose.

Not quite acurate Drew and things will improve, if/when we do get fusion then Hydrogen will be the best way to power vehicles and it'll be with minor changes to ICE vehicles, JCB are already doing tests with diggers etc as they need power too, theoretically they could use batteries but ICE is just more convenient.

I wonder if we'll ever get delorian cars with fusion motors, beyond my alloted time I suppose.
It's simply to inefficient to burn hydrogen in an internal combustion engine.
JCB are developing hydrogen fuel cell excavators not ICE hydrogen powered excavator.
"Power for JCB’s prototype excavator is generated by reacting hydrogen with oxygen in a fuel cell to create the energy needed to run electric motors. The only emission from the exhaust is water."

Again not correct Drew.

Well that's interesting, didn't know that, although it is not a converted petrol engine. Also it's a shame that most of the hydrogen being produced today comes from fossil fuels emitting large amounts of co2 as a byproduct. Also burning it is only about 25% efficient against around 85% for a fuel cell.

Worth watching.

We don't actually know that yet as it's not been proprrly trialed by anyone, onboard safe storage for road vehicles needs to be sorted out, the weight capacities will also need to be revised upwards, not before time.

It might eb that it isn't any good for cars, and we have to have an Efoy type system or whatever the boffins come up with it is very early day in this field we havent even explored the limits of diesel and petrol fully yet for instance it's been discovered recently that any cilnder larger than 500cc is pretty a much wasted, this is why we are getting a lot of V6 and even 3 cylinder engines.

I pretty much dismiss anything Llewelan says on YouTube as he's a bit sensationalist and grabs at anything out of the ordinary and like sot get lots of clicks and likes so he makes money.

Not sure about the credibilty of the other chap, but never heard of him although he does have good credentials.

I pretty much dismiss anything Llewelan says on YouTube as he's a bit sensationalist and grabs at anything out of the ordinary and like sot get lots of clicks and likes so he makes money.

Not sure about the credibilty of the other chap, but never heard of him although he does have good credentials.
Ok try this then

I only see three main issues.

1, Manufacture

2, Storage

3, Efficiency.

Over time they will be sorted out and will work, EVs are a dead horse and ultimately a stop gap as we cannot all have one, and then there are problems with anything much larger than a car if you want any realistic range, Transits and VW are selling with 80 plus miles, great if your depot is in a town center, not if it's at the side of the motorway 20 miles away which is often the case, Royal Mail packages delivered to me come from Morley Leeds, DHL etc all have depots in more less the same area as it has excellent Motorway access for the very large/tall trunkers to drop off.
1670423064806.png

I only see three main issues.

1, Manufacture

2, Storage

3, Efficiency.

Over time they will be sorted out and will work, EVs are a dead horse and ultimately a stop gap as we cannot all have one, and then there are problems with anything much larger than a car if you want any realistic range, Transits and VW are selling with 80 plus miles, great if your depot is in a town center, not if it's at the side of the motorway 20 miles away which is often the case, Royal Mail packages delivered to me come from Morley Leeds, DHL etc all have depots in more less the same area as it has excellent Motorway access for the very large/tall trunkers to drop off.
View attachment 65188
Perhaps this might help explain the problem with ICE hydrogen vehicles a bit better.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back