Fishing

Ok fishing teacher got the rod what about these swivel things and the hooky metal fishy things and the line and the plastic stringy stuff I have looked on eBay and scrambled my brain so if you could send me links including size and weights of what I need Thankyou in advance.

Ok fishing teacher got the rod what about these swivel things and the hooky metal fishy things and the line and the plastic stringy stuff I have looked on eBay and scrambled my brain so if you could send me links including size and weights of what I need Thankyou in advance.

I'll sort some links out for you tomorrow - not as confusing as they try to make it ;)

welldone dont know if icould cast these days used feather off chesil beach for mackrel

Annie, I’ve posted some of the swively/linky type things and some feathers to you, but haven’t sent leads or lures because of the weight. A 2oz 'bomb' weight will do for the feathers. The reel should have nylon line on it, so use that until I see you next and I’ll change it over to braid. I’ll make you a sand spike/rod rest, so don’t buy one. Below are a few things you will need.

Nail clippers, for cutting line
Forceps/long nosed pliers for hook removal
Fluorocarbon line 15lb – just for leaders so a small spool will do – I’ll show you how to use it when I put the braid on.
Lures – I would stick to dexter wedges to start with, the 28gm should suit your rod. (I’ll let you have some other types when I see you.)
Gurt big bag to put the fish in!

The only knot you need to learn is the Uni Knot and there are lots of youtube videos on how to tie it.

I would tie a swivel onto the main line then a couple of feet of fluorocarbon to the clip that you clip your lure to.

I haven’t put supplier links cos you can find lots on ebay using the info above.

Others will tell you completely different, but I’ve told you what I do/use.

...Mackerel is probably my favourite fish and in my view is much underrated by the general public - my mouth is watering whilst typing this!
Enjoy. I'm jealous.

Colin ???

I agree Colin.

You can't beat a BBQ'd freshly caught Mackerel.

I had this once on my mates boat just off Alderney with Gooseberry sauce and it was delicious. Not sure of the exact recipe, but this one seems close;

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/panfriedmackerelwith_84849

Not many fish taken yesterday, most gave up after a few hours without any.
I stuck at it and took 4, and lost as many in the surf, which was very messy. Our son came down and went out in his kayak, but he had no joy further out.
I think head of gutting and cleaning was happy.

Killing mackerel, trout etc is very quick and easy by breaking it's neck - finger in it's mouth, thumb at the back of it's head and pull the head up and back; that way is instant and far kinder than leaving them flapping about in a bucket as some do.

Well said Edina I hate to see people catch fish and leave them to die slowly.
Badolki

I,ll fish for anything with fins and have done since I was about ten. I like beach fishing, rock, pier and boat fishing. I also coarse fish including pike and fish for trout with fly or bait. As well as my gear at home I keep about 7 or 8 rods, reels and gear in the van covering most styles. Carol also does a bit of fishing, her favourite being float fishing off the rocks. We are thinking of doing a few days coarse fishing just outside York if we have time next week.
Jim.

Best ever mackerel we had was at restaurant in fig dear foz Portugal.
Only thing on the menu and after first plate of 12 between 2 they kept bringing them out til we pleaded NO MORE!!!!!

I,ll fish for anything with fins and have done since I was about ten. I like beach fishing, rock, pier and boat fishing. I also coarse fish including pike and fish for trout with fly or bait. As well as my gear at home I keep about 7 or 8 rods, reels and gear in the van covering most styles. Carol also does a bit of fishing, her favourite being float fishing off the rocks. We are thinking of doing a few days coarse fishing just outside York if we have time next week.
Jim.

I'm the same Jim, mainly course fishing, but I do enjoy sea fishing which I've done mainly from a boat, but I'm getting slowly back into beach fishing.

I lo love fly fishing, and fishing for carp, pike and Tench, but may overall favourite is Barbel.

Had a first for me from the shore, a cuttlefish, got the hook off it without getting inked, but it did give a good blast when my son put it back in the sea. Never really know what you're going to get - my son rang yesterday to tell me he had 2 red gurnard, a few mackerel and a 30" smooth-hound, all while fishing for bass!

Had a first for me from the shore, a cuttlefish, got the hook off it without getting inked, but it did give a good blast when my son put it back in the sea. Never really know what you're going to get - my son rang yesterday to tell me he had 2 red gurnard, a few mackerel and a 30" smooth-hound, all while fishing for bass!

Yes, but did he tell the bass, Chris?

Colin :):):)

Well I got my bag today for my stuff and some fishing pliers and some of those Dexter hooky things just need to buy the stringy stuff and I’m all set for the fishing lesson in September.

Well I got my bag today for my stuff and some fishing pliers and some of those Dexter hooky things just need to buy the stringy stuff and I’m all set for the fishing lesson in September.
Did the reel have line on it Annie?

So now we have established that I can after a fashion beach cast and have caught a few mackerel, I believe that as the temp drops the mackerel swim off to warmer climes so catching fish is seasonal so what are the seasons in fish terms what takes over from the mackerel in the autumn.

So now we have established that I can after a fashion beach cast and have caught a few mackerel, I believe that as the temp drops the mackerel swim off to warmer climes so catching fish is seasonal so what are the seasons in fish terms what takes over from the mackerel in the autumn.

Sainsbury's.

Colin :):):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back