Fishing

So now we have established that I can after a fashion beach cast and have caught a few mackerel, I believe that as the temp drops the mackerel swim off to warmer climes so catching fish is seasonal so what are the seasons in fish terms what takes over from the mackerel in the autumn.

There is always something out there, whiting, flatfish, cod etc. depending on the beach

Not half as much fun though are you joining us in September for lesson no 2?

I'd love to do that, Annie, although it will depend on when lesson 2 happens. I'm hoping to follow the sun southwards this autumn.
If I make it to Hereford we can perhaps talk it over there?

Colin :):):)

I'd love to do that, Annie, although it will depend on when lesson 2 happens. I'm hoping to follow the sun southwards this autumn.
If I make it to Hereford we can perhaps talk it over there?

Colin :):):)
I’m hoping it will be between Sat 15th toThurs the 20th as we have to be in Folkstone on Friday the 21st for 4 days.

So now we have established that I can after a fashion beach cast and have caught a few mackerel, I believe that as the temp drops the mackerel swim off to warmer climes so catching fish is seasonal so what are the seasons in fish terms what takes over from the mackerel in the autumn.
Annie, up here in darkest Northumbria when the mackerel move out we gear up for cod. Totally different style, heavier gear, longer casts off the beach or super heavy kit off the rock edges. Fish static with bait, no "dexter thingys" and we fish right through the winter usually at night. You,d need some good woolly bloomers and a flask of "winter warmer" (tea+whisky or coffee+rum).
Tight Lines, Jim.

Annie, up here in darkest Northumbria when the mackerel move out we gear up for cod. Totally different style, heavier gear, longer casts off the beach or super heavy kit off the rock edges. Fish static with bait, no "dexter thingys" and we fish right through the winter usually at night. You,d need some good woolly bloomers and a flask of "winter warmer" (tea+whisky or coffee+rum).
Tight Lines, Jim.
I can’t wait? and can I use the same rod or do I need a different one.

I can’t wait? and can I use the same rod or do I need a different one.
Annie you need to cast a minimum 4oz weight off the beach in calm weather up to 6oz griplead or I often use 8oz in heavier seas. I,ve got a 5 piece 11ft 6" rod in the van that will cast 8oz, I,ll show you it the next meet were at. No funny remarks about me showing Annie my rod please. I drop down to 16/18lb line on a clean sandy beach with a 50lb leader but its 25-30lb line straight through on the rock edges. Druridge bay is a decent cod venue in winter with beachcasting and rock edge fishing behind the ice cream shop at Creswell and you know the area anyway. At the minute everyone up here is fishing for mackerel off Blyth pier but they,ll be moving out soon.
Jim.

I never do anything by halves Trixie I used to go fishing with my dad but out on boats from Bridlington harbour but I nearly always ended up chucking up.

used to fish for minows in the river when i was a kid....lol usually ended up in the drink (water)...cos i would get pushed in.........not good.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back