Gasit

I have the Alugas 11kg bottle, leave it on most of the time but turn it off while filling. Not really sure why I turn it off but seem to think I was told when I first had a refillable system fitted that I should turn it off when filling, as it only takes a few seconds to do & my filling point is inside the locker I will probably carry on.

Clunegapyears;n16245 said:
Same as admin. They have auto cut off in case of an accident, as we discovered when we drive over serious bumps.

Just curious, do you have to reset the cut-off in some way?
Dave

I follow the instructions that say to turn off when filling, rest of the time it`s left turned on.

Yes Annie, I turn my bottles off when filling, and my cap was getting difficult to get off, so I sprayed it with silicone.

The reason that you should turn off the gas outlet on refillable cylinders is to prevent over filling.
A 80% sop valve is fitted internally that prevents over-filling, should this fail then it's possible to not only over-filling the cylinders but to fill the onboard gas pipework with liquid LPG, an extremely dangerous situation. Should you, for instance, attempt tonight the cooker hob then you would get an eruption of liquid gas which would be ignited if you had a naked flame (match) or spark ignition. Goodbye eyebrows, hair and Motorhome!

teejay;n16269 said:
Just checked my local outlet West Wales Gas Llandysul and its 55p a litre. Best price I've seen recently is Morrisons at 53p. FillLPG.co.uk is a site I use now and again but not all outlets are on it. Good hunting!
Cheers Teejay, will get a bottle when back in blighty.....Mark

We only wild camp, but in the 10 years we've been doing it, many vans have pulled up near us, not once have I seen anyone nip out and turn the bottles on.

We leave ours on all the time, I do stop to turn off the fridge a while before going to fill up though.

The reason that I turn of the gas when travelling is because I have no auto shut off. In the event of an accident with a ruptured gas pipe the gas in the bottles would be free to flow out with obvious ignition possibilities. I think that without an auto shut off it not only presents a hazard to the gas user but very unfairly to other road users.

I travel with the gas on but always turn off when filling. That's one thing I didn't do when my husband was alive so I'll have to try to do the filling myself. As suggested I might ask the attendant to do it for me or at least show me how.
i have gaslow fitted. 2x6 kilo bottles with an exterior fill Point.

*****;n16346 said:
So all members who never turn the gas off, or travel with the gas on.
What about when you go onto a ferry or through the tunnel?
It is in the T&C and mandatory as a safety issue, that all gas is turned off!

also, what about if you are involved in a serious accident think about the risk you are causing to the emergency service responders!

We have 'en route' heating so the gas is left on unless we are going on through the Chunnel. The system has a safety cut out in case of impact or tilt however the point you make about the emergency services is a good one I think Graham. Should the pigtail wrench off the gas bottle somehow then with Propane bottles the screw top is open. We actually use pigtails with the safety valve on them as well so have 2 levels of cut out but still...

Graham
hmm.gif

*****;n16346 said:
So all members who never turn the gas off, or travel with the gas on.
What about when you go onto a ferry or through the tunnel?
It is in the T&C and mandatory as a safety issue, that all gas is turned off!

also, what about if you are involved in a serious accident think about the risk you are causing to the emergency service responders!

A point well made to my way of thinking. Ok, if the high pressure side ruptures the valve will operate but if the low pressure side goes it would be like having an open gas tap on the hob somewhere that you may not be able to get to easily or worse still not even notice. Coupled with Spacerunner's point about shutting off at the cylinder when refilling means I'm quite happy to nip out of the van to turn the bottle on and off.

Whilst I have to agree with turning off the gas when travelling, (but don't) what in reality are the chances of having an accident in a motorhome per mile travelled which would be severe enough to involve the gas piping etc, and even then go on to become a danger to anyone, yes it could happen of course, but it's extremely unlikely or we would be hearing a lot more about it.

Pudsey Bear;n16364 said:
Whilst I have to agree with turning off the gas when travelling, (but don't) what in reality are the chances of having an accident in a motorhome per mile travelled which would be severe enough to involve the gas piping etc, and even then go on to become a danger to anyone, yes it could happen of course, but it's extremely unlikely or we would be hearing a lot more about it.

Low pressure joints can and do fail - it doesn't take much of a knock plus a source of ignition. For me it's not about evaluating risk anymore. I've already established that if it's going to happen to anyone it will happen to me (or the person next to me!). So I don't take the risk.

We have a Gaslow system fitted to our motorhome,and they say to always turn the bottles off when refilling,which I always do.
They have an auto cut off incase of an accident as others have said,so I drive with the bottles turned on.
I must say out of all the extras I have added to my motorhome the refillable system is the one I most recommend!:Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

The pipes from the regulator are all low pressure so would need to build up to cause a real problem and as you say the cylinder is protected between it and the filler point.

I don't know what a real problem would be but I would prefer to avoid even small ones.

From Gas It knowledgebase..........

"Should I turn my gas bottle off during filling with LPG/ Autogas on my Motorhome" is a question our technical team get asked quite regularly.

The technical answer to differnet to the safety answer which is 'Yes' you should always turn the gas outlet valve off on your GAS IT bottle whilst filling at an LPG station, and again with our safety hat on we'd have to add that having any gas bottle turned off when not in use is generally good practice.

Something worth thinking about whether your using off the shelf exchange type gas bottles or self-refillable gas bottles like the GAS IT type, is that some gas appliances in your motorhome or caravan automatically ignite and run on gas once the vehicles engine and ignition is turned off - Fridges left in auto mode spring to mind. This has always concerned us as it means the fridge could ignite and start running on gas when parked up at a fuel station taking on petrol or diesel. We know some fridge manufacturers have now included a longer pause between the vehicle being turned off and the fridge starting but it’s still worth considering and thinking about if you go to fill up and your gas it turned on

Alec.

We have 2 bottles so
manual changeover is required if we allow the "in use bottle" to become empty.
However as 1 bottle lasts a fortnight we try to avoid this.
Manual change over is not easy and would be vert difficult for some with dexterity or strength issues and so an auto system would be better

We usually turn the gas off when travelling (but sometimes forget).
For those who find this difficult I suggest leaving the gas on ! Although I appreciate this implies a minor safety risk !

It is still easier than having to lift out and then back in again with calor ! AND you still have the issue of re-connecting.

I guess the best is a single underslung tank with a suitably located on/off valve ! AND an guage

jo662;n16378 said:
We have a Gaslow system fitted to our motorhome,and they say to always turn the bottles off when refilling,which I always do.
They have an auto cut off incase of an accident as others have said,so I drive with the bottles turned on.

We too have the Gaslow system (New 2017 R67) Twin cylinders & auto change over, I do not remember being told to turn them off when filling. I will ask Gaslow about this as I may have been told and have forgotten or I may not have been told and should have. Travel with them on.
Only done one return journey through the tunnel and stopped by tunnel staff there and back to ensure they were off.

Fridge/Freezer is supposed to not switch to gas for either 10 or 15 mins when ignition is switched off for fuelling, will physically check.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back