Lockdown Security system

Autowatch do a pager/tracker 973 it has 5 input triggers and 3 output triggers I get a txt when my alarm has been triggered and I can also send a txt to imobilise the engine and also to turn my heating on cost £150 and put a pay as you go sim in. My van also has 2 dummy trackers fitted and a battery powered retrieve
A TK103 can do most of that. They cost about £30, I think.

I had Vanbitz, Strikeback alarm fitted 8 years ago by a third party as we live in Cumbria. They went bust a few years later. My super loud sirens fitted underneath went faulty. Vanbitz didn't want to help unless I travelled 300+ miles down there so I got to grips with the system and fixed it myself. Living only 110miles from York, it looks like the next van will have an Outsmart the Thief system fitted, purely because of their closer proximity. Apart from the external sirens failing twice, I can't fault the Strikeback system.

A couple of years ago I asked on the forum whether anyone had recovered their motorhome using a tracker after it had been stolen. I asked that people did not reply with a 'friend of a friend of mine' type of experience. No one replied in the affirmative.
Getting desperate, I then asked if anyone had had their motorhome stolen. Still no takers.

I concluded that that the chances of having your motorhome stolen were very low, and you probably had an infinitesimal chance of recovering it using the tracker.
I did not ask about break-ins.

Anyone?

A couple of years ago I asked on the forum whether anyone had recovered their motorhome using a tracker after it had been stolen. I asked that people did not reply with a 'friend of a friend of mine' type of experience. No one replied in the affirmative.
Getting desperate, I then asked if anyone had had their motorhome stolen. Still no takers.

I concluded that that the chances of having your motorhome stolen were very low, and you probably had an infinitesimal chance of recovering it using the tracker.

Anyone?
I follow quite a few groups and most days over the last year there are reports of stolen motorhomes, mostly Fords (there appears to be a weakness in Ford security which is well known and exploited).

There is a fairly well known recent case of an Outsmart The Thief owner being at an Ed Sheeran concert when their motorhome was stolen off their drive. They couldn't hear the phone calls to alert them, so the OTT team just got on with it and assisted the Met Police in tracking, stopping and recovering the vehicle.

My security so far thachham alarm and Immobiliser tracker disk lock electric bed down over dash. Levelling jacks raised so wheels just off ground two security posts in front of van bolted in driveway gates. And Just for back up an aluminium baseball bat still to put the nails through it. ? they’d be easier robbing a bank and buying a motorhome ?
That fine when at home but when away and you go shopping etc,then what.:cry:best fit a tap to the fuel line.

That fine when at home but when away and you go shopping etc,then what.:cry:best fit a tap to the fuel line.
Even when away from home, the Thatcham alarm and immobiliser are probably still fitted and the Disklok is probably still available. :D Can be good to have the alarm completely independent of door locks and to have deadlocks or upgraded cylinder on cab doors.

Interesting that members are starting to comment on posts that ended over a year ago. Probably nothing to do with the new credit system :)
Could also be that they just haven't seen or read the threads / posts before. Might be new or never had time before.:D

Even when away from home, the Thatcham alarm and immobiliser are probably still fitted and the Disklok is probably still available. :D Can be good to have the alarm completely independent of door locks and to have deadlocks or upgraded cylinder on cab doors.

After being broken into I fitted additional external 2 way locks on habitation and garage door, additional internial locks on the front doors. All very well as long as you put them on, didn't put one on one night at home and someone tried to get in habitation door, broke handle trying to force it. It was just a difficult door to open, needed a knack to open it which they didn't have. Intend to fit an independent central locking system, with dead locks to door and lockers, fuel tap also sounds good.:D

Anyone?
2 break-ins, 1 successful, 1 failed.

1) Successful one, we were out walking on the South Downs, parked in a spot where signs warning of cars being broken into. Those everywhere now. Returned as I didn't feel comfortable about it. Alarm going off, 2 men saw us and made their Get Away in car, got registration, vehicle make, model, phoned police, police didn't bother and said can't have been that car as they knew the owner of that car and they lived in the next County, they weren't interested as nothing had been stolen.

2) Had dispute with neighbour, attempt to break in failed, neighbour has criminal record for breaking into and stealing vehicles. As not broken in only broke door handle, no tools or blood left, no cctv, (police and housing made me take it down as I might infringe on peoples human rights), they weren't interested at all.

2 break-ins, 1 successful, 1 failed.

1) Successful one, we were out walking on the South Downs, parked in a spot where signs warning of cars being broken into. Those everywhere now. Returned as I didn't feel comfortable about it. Alarm going off, 2 men saw us and made their Get Away in car, got registration, vehicle make, model, phoned police, police didn't bother and said can't have been that car as they knew the owner of that car and they lived in the next County, they weren't interested as nothing had been stolen.

2) Had dispute with neighbour, attempt to break in failed, neighbour has criminal record for breaking into and stealing vehicles. As not broken in only broke door handle, no tools or blood left, no cctv, (police and housing made me take it down as I might infringe on peoples human rights), they weren't interested at all.
Sounds like you need a new police force!

After being broken into I fitted additional external 2 way locks on habitation and garage door, additional internial locks on the front doors. All very well as long as you put them on, didn't put one on one night at home and someone tried to get in habitation door, broke handle trying to force it. It was just a difficult door to open, needed a knack to open it which they didn't have. Intend to fit an independent central locking system, with dead locks to door and lockers, fuel tap also sounds good.:D

I'll PM you later today with a little DIY security design you will like to stop drive-aways. I think it will appeal to you ;) (I've been meaning to fit the same to my van but not got round to it yet)

Getting back onto the subject of Lockdown, accidently set off the alarm here in Spain and had the call in under 1 minute. Without giving away my set up :censored: it all works perfectly. I will definately renew my subscription (y)

As far as i'm aware, Lock-Down isn't an app based driven system. The other issue some people may face is that it isn't Thatcham evaluated/approved (TUV approval is not Thatcham!!!), so like most policies that are underwritten by a certain company, you may be faced with the issue of having a non-approved system.
Whilst some of the features/benefits can to some be handy and looking at the spec of the standard system, there are alternatives out there that are Thatcham approved that can offer the same features/benefits as standard and not an optional extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,I have the same system on my Moho, this was already fitted to our new,used Motorhome, I called the number on one of the annual fee documents to get the alarm system re-activated, the guy explained what I needed to do and £90 and 24 hours later it was active. I have also made the mistake of unlocking the drivers cab before de-activating the habitation system, got a phone call on my mobile immediately. Very pleased with the system and response time. I would recommend this system and I also got a small discount from my insurance company after I told them I had it fitted.

<snip> there are alternatives out there that are Thatcham approved that can offer the same features/benefits as standard and not an optional extra.
Now I wonder what they might be! Any clues in your username perhaps?

As far as i'm aware, Lock-Down isn't an app based driven system. The other issue some people may face is that it isn't Thatcham evaluated/approved (TUV approval is not Thatcham!!!), so like most policies that are underwritten by a certain company, you may be faced with the issue of having a non-approved system.
Whilst some of the features/benefits can to some be handy and looking at the spec of the standard system, there are alternatives out there that are Thatcham approved that can offer the same features/benefits as standard and not an optional extra.

To be fair it is only the tracker part of the system which is not Thatcham certified. I also like the fact I don't have to drive hundreds of miles to the west country to have it fitted and any service issues. Outsmart have a network of installers and for warranty issues.
The system i have fitted was complete the only extra being the bike loop alarm.

Also my views on this are as a customer and my experience, I have no affiliation with the company.

Now I wonder what they might be! Any clues in your username perhaps?

I do not know what you mean by the username :whistle:. Please note I did not mention a specific alarm company, just that there were alternatives ;).

To be fair it is only the tracker part of the system which is not Thatcham certified. I also like the fact I don't have to drive hundreds of miles to the west country to have it fitted and any service issues. Outsmart have a network of installers and for warranty issues.
The system i have fitted was complete the only extra being the bike loop alarm.

Also my views on this are as a customer and my experience, I have no affiliation with the company.

Fair point, not everyone wants to travel to have their investment protected. They have a network of installers, but are they specific motorhome installation engineers, or are the just generic vehicle installers fitting to all kinds of vehicles? Do these individuals have nearly 30 yrs experience in motorhome security? Are they the manufacturers of the product and can support it long term (as most MH owners don't change vans that often)? Just a few questions that I would be asking when spending tens of thousands on a M/H.

As you are quite right, Lock-Down isn't Thatcham but the Gemini alarm option is, however I would still consider looking at the standard spec of that alarm and the options you would like, then compare that to other people's systems on the market that have most of these features as standard.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back