Motorcycle on a motorhome

Pudsey, I agree with you on the sports bikes. We,ll agree to differ on the Harleys.
Cheers, Jim.
Until you've ridden every model Jim that's hard to say, there are a few I'd not ride never mind buy, I like tourers, anything else is just a toy AFAIC

Anyway back to the OP... I have seen a trailer with 2 rails and a hoist... the front wheel was locked into a bike clamp on castors, held like a toboggan ride, that kept the bike perfect for hoisting up the rails as if it were a jet ski...then ratchets attached and of he went towing behind his motohome.
I thought at the time I should have photographed that, but the little devil said "nah you will remember that and build yourself one"
Dooh..🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂😂

Ps bike trailers are cheap on flyaway, just make sure they have landing to walk the bike safely to its hold position.

Pudsey, although this post is about trailers and has floated into the common ante/pro Harley conversation let me leave you with this one. I,ve ridden several Harleys as I said and the 2 most uncomfortable bikes I,ve ever ridden are the V rod and the 600 exup. But two of the most fun bikes were Harley engined Buells.
Jim.

Not ridden the V rod, F'ugly thing, I tried a couple of Buells, but nah It was like riding a razor blade, awful.

For the record I'm not anti any bike, life too short, I just have a preference for quality and touring bikes.

What would be your favourite bike though?

Not ridden the V rod, F'ugly thing, I tried a couple of Buells, but nah It was like riding a razor blade, awful.

For the record I'm not anti any bike, life too short, I just have a preference for quality and touring bikes.

What would be your favourite bike though?
My 1955 Triumph Thunderbird T6 Twin. Vibrated horribly, terrible brakes, leaked oil and petrol everywhere, and with 34hp, [although it had the noise of a 150bhp...],it was never going to compete with the modern plastic rockets. But there was only 1 ride where I didn't return with a big stupid grin all over my face ... :D

Steve

Pudsey, probably one of the bikes I have now, my Blackbird. I also liked my GSXR 1000 and have a real soft spot for the Triumph Daytona 1200 I used to own.
Cheers, Jim.
I,m not anti any bike either, I like Lambrettas, mopeds, 2 strokes, jap classics. I think the Harley craic has become more of a running laugh between bikers as is the wing ding thing. Jim.

Last edited:
Not for a long long time, usually awake nowadays.

Anyway back to the OP... I have seen a trailer with 2 rails and a hoist... the front wheel was locked into a bike clamp on castors, held like a toboggan ride, that kept the bike perfect for hoisting up the rails as if it were a jet ski...then ratchets attached and of he went towing behind his motohome.
I thought at the time I should have photographed that, but the little devil said "nah you will remember that and build yourself one"
Dooh..🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂😂

Ps bike trailers are cheap on flyaway, just make sure they have landing to walk the bike safely to its hold position.
Something like this?

Regards,
Del

Seems a very expensive way to transport a m/cycle sideways instead of in a line ? :) Plus the disadvantages of a very short trailer .

Seems a very expensive way to transport a m/cycle sideways instead of in a line ? :) Plus the disadvantages of a very short trailer .
Great back to the original posting....
Yes, the both winding ideas but rather that transverse on a lateral "traditional" trailer, which would have a lower centre of gravity.
When we get home im going to start investigating further. 😁
Or call into Germany on the way home and just pick one up 😂😂😂😂
Currently south of Madrid 🚐🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♀️🦮

Great back to the original posting....
Yes, the both winding ideas but rather that transverse on a lateral "traditional" trailer, which would have a lower centre of gravity.
When we get home im going to start investigating further. 😁
Or call into Germany on the way home and just pick one up 😂😂😂😂
Currently south of Madrid 🚐🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♀️🦮
I've done a bit of research and the rollers are readily available but I think you would need to see how they are "held" on the tracks because I know from experience that the bike won't stand up on it's own in that front cradle, they are usually bolted to a trailer or workshop floor :unsure: but that loading system on the Hydra Trail would be perfect for me :)

Regards,
Del

I bought the Black Widow aluminum scooter rack after researching many brands, of both aluminum and steel. We will use the rack to transport our 200cc motor scooter which weighs approximately 300lbs, on the 2-inch hitch receiver of our 2017 Ford Edge and our 2020 33ft Class-C RV. I wanted as lightweight a rack as possible to keep the accumulated cargo weight of our RV as low as possible... 20 lbs here and there add up to a ton quickly when outfitting an RV. The difference in weight between an aluminum and a steel rack is 20-30 lbs. The difference in capacity is 400 vs 500 lbs. To be clear; the aluminum rack is a combination of steel tube main support and aluminum track and ramp.

Dont come on here very often these days but just saw this thread. One of the reasons we have kept our Kontiki 640 for coming up 15 years is Ive been unable to find a suitable replacement that ticks our boxes that will take a rack and scooter on the back (well I have but they are like hens teeth).

I think if you can do it a rack and light scooter is the way to go. First scooter we had back in 2008 was a Peugeot Speedfight II. Two stroke and just 95kg. In 2015 it was replaced with a Honda Vision 110 of 2012 vintage and last year that was replaced with a brand new Vision 110 on which we did over 5000 miles last summer on it. The Vision is just 100kg and its about the only bike I would have on the rack now as most of the others are just too heavy. We are just about on the limit with it on.

We are probably not far off the bikes max payload but I have to say, I just absolutely love that bike. No power really but its like a Gazelle. Absolutely brilliant handling and a joy to ride. Hills are a challenge but it gets there eventually. Nothing in Devon and Cornwall or Scotland has defeated it yet, not even the Lake District. The previous one went all over the Alps and Pyrenees and over some of the highest passes in Europe.

Best racks I reckon are from Armitage Trailers. Still on our original 2008 one. https://armitages.uk/armitages-carriers/

I do have a lovely 2014 Piaggio Beverly ST 350 also but Ive never taken it away. Thought about a trailer for it but I just love the vision away in the van. That bike might be up for sale later as Im thinking of getting a CBF1000 for home use but you would need a trailer for it. 170kg.

We have the same Beverly we use a easylifter .
As doesn't take up our payload never had days trouble with it ..only regular service greasing and new bearings.

I bought the Black Widow aluminum scooter rack after researching many brands, of both aluminum and steel. We will use the rack to transport our 200cc motor scooter which weighs approximately 300lbs, on the 2-inch hitch receiver of our 2017 Ford Edge and our 2020 33ft Class-C RV. I wanted as lightweight a rack as possible to keep the accumulated cargo weight of our RV as low as possible... 20 lbs here and there add up to a ton quickly when outfitting an RV. The difference in weight between an aluminum and a steel rack is 20-30 lbs. The difference in capacity is 400 vs 500 lbs. To be clear; the aluminum rack is a combination of steel tube main support and aluminum track and ramp.
Since I now understand how useful having a motorcycle carrier is, I feel like I lost out on many trips since I didn't have one before. I caught on sooner rather than later, so I can now enjoy riding my bike everywhere I go.

I still think riding a motorcycle on a motorhome is bit silly.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back