Motorhome Tyres for Year Round Use, including Winter Travel to Spain

I emailed Michelin tyres and asked if they intended putting the 3 peaks sign on there camping tyres, so that they complied with the new standards for touring in France and Germany in the winter months, or whether I could fit the Agilis cross climates, this was there reply.
Thing is. .... A tyre has a load rating. So if the weight on the axle is under the load rating of the tyre, how is the tyre unsuitable to support the weight?
That reply makes no sense to me.

Thing is. .... A tyre has a load rating. So if the weight on the axle is under the load rating of the tyre, how is the tyre unsuitable to support the weight?
That reply makes no sense to me.
I agree, would love to cut the sidewall of their camping tyres and cross climate tyre and see if there is any actual difference.

I'm seriously considering going for the Continental camping tyre as I believe that has the three peaks symbol on the sidewalls.

This is an interesting article:

Regards,
Del

I have replied to Michelin's response stating that there camper Tyres no longer meet the criteria for use in the winter months in France and Germany.

I have also pointed out that Continental camper Tyres meet the new standard set by these countries as they display the three peaks symbol that is recognised for winter use.

I have asked if Michelin can recommend another one of there tyres that is suitable to be used on my motorhome that meets the new standards set by these two countries for winter use.

I've said that I and many other camper van owners will have no option but to switch to Continental tyres, if Michelin do not address this dilemma for camper van owners that we are now faced with, many of us use our vehicles in the winter months. See what there response is to that.

I have replied to Michelin's response stating that there camper Tyres no longer meet the criteria for use in the winter months in France and Germany.

I have also pointed out that Continental camper Tyres meet the new standard set by these countries as they display the three peaks symbol that is recognised for winter use.

I have asked if Michelin can recommend another one of there tyres that is suitable to be used on my motorhome that meets the new standards set by these two countries for winter use.

I've said that I and many other camper van owners will have no option but to switch to Continental tyres, if Michelin do not address this dilemma for camper van owners that we are now faced with, many of us use our vehicles in the winter months. See what there response is to that.
It is worth also bearing in mind that "Winter Tyres" are not just about dealing with snow and ice. They have a different compound that is more efficient when the temperature is below around 7C. When you are in Scotland, that is over half the year!
This is why I am an advocate of the Cross-Climates as they are right at all temps and so you benefit without having to change tyres.

Pretty sure my garage said advisory over 5 years but could still be used for up to 10 years, last year!!!?

Pretty sure my garage said advisory over 5 years but could still be used for up to 10 years, last year!!!?
Continental say their camping tyres do not have a limit on life but should be checked more regularly over 10 years old. Their is currently no age limit for motorhome tyres unlike goods vehicles

From 1 February 2021 Construction and Use Regulations will not allow tyres aged over 10 years old to be used on the front steered axles of HGVs, buses, coaches or all single wheels fitted to a minibus

From 1 February 2021 Construction and Use Regulations will not allow tyres aged over 10 years old to be used on the front steered axles of HGVs, buses, coaches or all single wheels fitted to a minibus
does not cover Motorhomes though, even >3,5t ones. a MOT should not fail one on Tyre age. condition, yes. age, no.

When we bought the M/Home in Apr 21, the Dealer refused to change the tyres [8757 miles at almost 5 yrs old]; we asked the local tyre depot in late July when we had the Aircon regassed and they said tyres were OK [10531 miles]. The tyres were checked again by the neighbouring branch of the tyre depot in early November when we had the Starter Battery changed [11527 miles] and they passed muster at yesterday's MOT [12032 miles], so 4 checks including the Selling Dealer's handover service for tyres that will be 6 years old in June 22. If we manage to get to Spain in the next couple of weeks, the trip will add about 4000 miles, so I might take a cautious approach and have them changed

Steve

Our front 2 are getting low now (2017 MH with 20k miles) so I have arranged to change them at the next hab check at the end of March.

I had a discussion with a chap who runs a tyre fitting company after we had a rear blow out last year. He has the contract for tyres for a large dealership where I live. He said that Camper CP rated tyres should be inflated to their maximum level and are designed to be used as such. In my case that was 70psi. I was rather dubious because of everything I had read on various forums and articles.

I had done some research to check optimum pressures and had decide to lower mine in the light of that. When I checked, they were all at 70psi - all 6 (we have a TAG). As the ride has been fine I decided to leave them as they were but I did take around 5psi out of the fronts as they look to be wearing more in the centre than across the whole tyre. As I said though, I am changing them in March. I will be moving to the Continental CP tyres as they are much cheaper than the Michelin.

Not read the thread, but we used Continental Vanco Winter 2 on our first van as we were going snowboarding for a couple of months. The difference between those and normal tyres was immense - we were overtaking many stuck vans on the way up the to resort whereas previously we were stuck and putting on chains!

On the same trip we left the Alps then went down to Morocco and the Sahara - and hence were worried about the tyres. Before we left we spoke to Continental who said the tyres would be fine, and only downsides a little more noise; higher wear; and maybe fuel (didnt notice the latter). And dont corner like a racing car

The tyres lasted and we kept them on - the benefit of winter (and cold and wet) grip was worth the extra wear

This is my reply to Daniel who responded to my first email.

Hi Daniel
Thank you Daniel for your swift reply, I have shared your response with a number of motorhome forums I am on.
I think Michelin are going to loose sales on there camping tyres to there rivals Continental who do make a camping tyre that has the three peaks Symbol on the tyre walls, that is now the standard set by France and Germany for winter months use.
Given the current situation in France and Germany, motorhomes touring these areas in the winter months, which plenty do, will get fined if they are pulled up by the police on your camping tyres as they no longer meet the standards with the M&S symbol, you now have to have the three peak symbol on the sidewalls, Michelin currently dont.
The new legislation no longer recognises the M&S symbol on the Agilis camping tyres as suitable for use in the winter. This has been well documented recently on various motorhome forums.
May I kindly suggest that you send my correspondence to the relevant department, who can perhaps address this problem regarding there camper Tyres for use in winter seasons. If Michelin don't address this, I'm sure sales for this product will dwindle.
Michelin need to offer an alternative winter tyre that can be used on motorhomes and camper vans.
I myself are now considering leaving your brand and fitting the Continental camping tyres tyres that meet the criteria set by France and Germany for use in the Winter.
Given that Michelin is a French company I'm somewhat surprised that they haven't addressed the new Standards that France has set for tyre suitability for use in the winter months.
Kind Regards
David Palmer

I have attached his reply, so it looks like Michelin aren't addressing the problem we are faced with, like Continental have.

Screenshot_2022-02-07-09-37-10-164_com.google.android.gm.jpg

With regard to tyre pressures I think the best thing you can do is speak to your tyre manufacturers technical department. I did this with Continental and they were very helpful, they just required front and rear axle loadings, tyres fitted and I had already given them the base vehicle details so not sure if they needed that or not.
They were also very helpful when I was sourcing replacements but they are the only manufacturer I have had need to contact so don’t know how others manufacturers are.

With regard to wether or not the tyres have 3 peaks, can you not still use tyres without that if you have snow chains or does that not matter?

With regard to tyre pressures I think the best thing you can do is speak to your tyre manufacturers technical department. I did this with Continental and they were very helpful, they just required front and rear axle loadings, tyres fitted and I had already given them the base vehicle details so not sure if they needed that or not.
They were also very helpful when I was sourcing replacements but they are the only manufacturer I have had need to contact so don’t know how others manufacturers are.

With regard to wether or not the tyres have 3 peaks, can you not still use tyres without that if you have snow chains or does that not matter?
I have seen other posts in another Forum with a reply attached from Michelin's Technical Team 'Run the tyres at 5.5 Bar, as recommended, irrespective of actual weights'. I don't have snow chains, and I know that France will not be prosecuting drivers without the 3 Peaks Winter Tyres this year. I'm thinking of travelling via Perpignan where the altitudes are lower, and I think the climbs less steep. This will also allow us to stop at Blanes, Benicarlo and Moncafa on the way south west to new territory for us. Still swithering on whether to have new tyres fitted before we leave!

Steve

And after sending axel weights to Michelin for our motorhome I received this advice:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting MICHELIN customer services.

We would like to inform you that the recommended tyre pressures for MICHELIN Agilis Camping are:
65 PSI for the front axle and
79,8 PSI for the rear axle

We kindly remind you to use a metal valve, as these pressures are very high.

MICHELIN is happy to accompany you on every journey and would like to thank you for your trust.

Your Michelin advisor,
Christina

MICHELIN Customer Care
Passenger Car & Light Truck Tyres
Tel: 0845 366 1590; 0845 366 1535
E-mail:
contact@tc.michelin.eu
Contact us: http://www.michelin.co.uk/contact
Web: http://www.michelin.co.uk

The near 80psi for the rears would be the maximum under their load rating I reckon (80psi).

Tentative appointment made for tomorrow with ATS in Dunfermline to get Michelin Agilis Alpin [Winter] tyres fitted. 'Wait for the phone call, should be with us by about 11am'. The ATS Tyre Fitter expressed surprise at the 5.5 Bar pressures stipulated for the existing Michelin's; apparently Scottish Ambulance Service vehicles use the Cross Climates and operate at lower pressures and are therefore able to operate with the standard rubber tyre valve rather than the metal valves [which ATS, National Tyre, and Kwik Fit do not have in stock, with delivery time being 2 weeks or more]. ATS did say that the Winter Tyre availability is very limited at present, with most of the available stock having been sold 3 or 4 months ago, which makes sense ...

Steve

Tentative appointment made for tomorrow with ATS in Dunfermline to get Michelin Agilis Alpin [Winter] tyres fitted. 'Wait for the phone call, should be with us by about 11am'. The ATS Tyre Fitter expressed surprise at the 5.5 Bar pressures stipulated for the existing Michelin's; apparently Scottish Ambulance Service vehicles use the Cross Climates and operate at lower pressures and are therefore able to operate with the standard rubber tyre valve rather than the metal valves [which ATS, National Tyre, and Kwik Fit do not have in stock, with delivery time being 2 weeks or more]. ATS did say that the Winter Tyre availability is very limited at present, with most of the available stock having been sold 3 or 4 months ago, which makes sense ...

Steve
I don't have the exact numbers to hand, but FWIW, with my Cross-climates, I run my rears at around 68PSI to deal with the maximum rated load at the rear (2240kg) and the fronts around 5 PSI less (going by memory)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back