Motorhome Tyres for Year Round Use, including Winter Travel to Spain

I don't have the exact numbers to hand, but FWIW, with my Cross-climates, I run my rears at around 68PSI to deal with the maximum rated load at the rear (2240kg) and the fronts around 5 PSI less (going by memory)
My axle limits are 1850kg [front] and 2000kg [rear]. The Burstner Owner Manual refers to tyre pressures of 5.5 Bar front & rear for normal tyres; and 5.2 Bar front & rear for Winter Tyres

Steve

New tyres fitted at lunchtime. 'What pressures would you like?' was the surprise for me! I showed the tyre fitter the Plate on the passenger door pillar 'inflate to 5.5 Bar cold tyres' and he scratched his head. In the end, we went for 60psi [he deals in old money figures] on the front and 75psi on the rears. He asked me to pop back in a couple of days to getthe wheelnuts retorqued, so I'll probably ask him to increase the front pressures to 65psi which seems to be the median value from the replies to this thread. I didn't check the torque settings, so I'll ask for the setting to be 180Nm which is the Burstner recommendation for the 'Fiat Light' Alloy Wheel

The new tyres are Week 38 of 2021 so about 5 months old. The old tyres were still good, especially the rears, but thenew tyres are a world apart with the tread pattern and depth. I don't expect them to last anything like 6 or 7 years, because the compound is softer and we also intend to cover an average of 10,000 miles pa, compared to the previous owner's 1750pa

The ATS service was excellent, from the first phone call to the fitting of the last wheel stud, so that's where I shall return for the next purchase. Pleasantly surprised by the time taken to explain options and a check to see that I was happy with the proposals. Whilst I was waiting to pay, the Manager went through the same routine with another customer, so that is quite reassuring

Steve

Did you get metal valves with them Steve?

Did you get metal valves with them Steve?
Had to recycle the old valves as a short term measure. Delivery of new valves will take at least 2 weeks [same message from National Tyres & Kwik Fit]. We may delay our departure until the French remove the LTF Test, so this may mean the metal valves will arrive before we set off

Steve

Reactions: GMJ
My van's been in the algarve for 2 years with Michelin Alpin winter tyres. I haven't experienced any negative effects.

Can not wait for my Michelin to wear out.
And gets some tyres that run at lower pressure. Bang bump bang awful .
But going to be costly as our van is fitted with pressure monitoring factory fitted, so need go to main dealer get it reset.
Tried local garages no one can reset..

Hi,

I got the new CrossClimate Camping 215/70R15 tyres fitted this morning. First drive was absolutely brilliant. Less road noise and they took away much of the bumpiness of the harder stock tyres too. They also look awesome.

I was asked that I provide my own high pressure valves though. I bought 4 of the the Schrader tr600 from EuroCarparts.

£749 inc VAT fully fitted by ProTyre.

20220615_105845.jpg20220615_105835.jpg20220615_105826.jpg

Hi,

I got the new CrossClimate Camping 215/70R15 tyres fitted this morning. First drive was absolutely brilliant. Less road noise and they took away much of the bumpiness of the harder stock tyres too. They also look awesome.

I was asked that I provide my own high pressure valves though. I bought 4 of the the Schrader tr600 from EuroCarparts.

£749 inc VAT fully fitted by ProTyre.

View attachment 63250View attachment 63251View attachment 63252
Looking good, I’m in France currently and recon I’ll be needing new rubber fairly shortly, it’s either the BF Goodrich route, or the cross climates from Michelin, do they have the 3 peak symbol on them ? Can’t make it out on your pics, many thanks, Bob

Looking good, I’m in France currently and recon I’ll be needing new rubber fairly shortly, it’s either the BF Goodrich route, or the cross climates from Michelin, do they have the 3 peak symbol on them ? Can’t make it out on your pics, many thanks, Bob
BF goodrich have got the 3 peak on them I am running 225 x 75 x 16in

That’s
BF goodrich have got the 3 peak on them I am running 225 x 75 x 16iThats
BF goodrich have got the 3 peak on them I am running 225 x 75 x 16in
That’s the tyres I’ve been looking at, but I’ll need to buy the wheels too, ( and I like the design of the wheels) as mine are just 15”, and to be honest look a bit lost in the front wheel arches, What’s the weight rating on those please, mine is 3850kg, 2000kg rear and 1850kg front, just so I know if they are a contender, many thanks
, Bob

That’s

That’s the tyres I’ve been looking at, but I’ll need to buy the wheels too, ( and I like the design of the wheels) as mine are just 15”, and to be honest look a bit lost in the front wheel arches, What’s the weight rating on those please, mine is 3850kg, 2000kg rear and 1850kg front, just so I know if they are a contender, many thanks
, Bob
I change from 15in wheel to 16in and itsgot my speedo out so I just use the Tom Tom the tyre my van fully loaded is just under 3500 and the tyres are good enough for your weight.

Hi,

Yes they have the three peaks winter rating.

Very similar tread pattern to the CrossClimate 2 for cars which blew away all competition in tests last year.

They ain't cheap but will last for ages.

Regards

Hi In France also, changed my 15" wheels to 16" then put Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA 225/75/16 with 3PMSF, (I do quite a bit of wild camping so travel down some dodgy tracks), took it in for the French MOT this week and it failed through been non manufacture recommended size, I swore a lot. Anybody know if I can put 225/65/16 on?

Hi In France also, changed my 15" wheels to 16" then put Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA 225/75/16 with 3PMSF, (I do quite a bit of wild camping so travel down some dodgy tracks), took it in for the French MOT this week and it failed through been non manufacture recommended size, I swore a lot. Anybody know if I can put 225/65/16 on?
Yes I had 225 x65 x 16in before I fitted the BF goodrich

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back