Platinum 100amp leisure battery

Mobilvetta

My 2018 motorhome came fitted with a single Platinum 100amp leisure battery, I think I could really do with two leisure batteries as a safety net and although this battery is only around 4 months old I have read that if you want a twin battery setup it is best to fit the same make and model of battery and of the same age, which would involve buying two batteries.

I have been thinking of getting two of these 12V YUASA 100AH EFB LEISURE BATTERY (L36-EFB) but note they are only 100AH, were I have seen other brand of batteries that are 115AH, would I gain anything by going for a different brand of battery if it gives a higher AH rating, I arrive back to the UK tonight and want to try and source the batteries so that I have them for the New Year party at Hereford, so would need them to be delivered on the 28th December. Can't order though until I get home tonight as I need to measure the existing battery that is already fitted, as there didn't look to be a lot of room in its box. It has a 120 watt solar panel fitted, so would a twin battery setup be ok. I was going to use Alpha batteries as they offer a 5% discount to members. Is anyone using the Yuasa batteries and are they likely to be any better than the Platinum battery brand.

No bother fitting same as you have as only a short gap between them,best wet lesd acid batterys by far are bosch/varta silver power frame if you want to go down that path,just dont discharge them down to far.

Go for a single lithium
NabSim posted a link I will look for it
1 x160 AH Lithium would give you the capacity of 2x110 AH without the fuss
However there is a cost but 2x £130 - £260 plus extra connections
Lithium also lighter and smaller AND no worries if they do go low

However another post mentions changing your charger if you go lithium.
Take care and do not rush it but I see the need to rush if no EHU at Hereford ?
Rock and Hard place comes to mind..Good luck !

Last edited:
Go for a single lithium
NabSim posted a link I will look for it
1 x160 AH Lithium would give you the capacity of 2x110 AH without the fuss
However there is a cost but 2x £130 - £260 plus extra connections
Lithium also lighter and smaller AND no worries if they do go low
I agree that there are advantages with Lithium and I am very pleased with the one I have fitted. However, they are expensive and you do need to make sure that the charging systems in your motorhome are compatible or modify them.

Please dont just buy from that link I posted I was just showing how the cost it coming down. You would need to check they are indeed a good make and see what else you may need to upgrade rather than just going buying one. The Yuasa L36 EBF looks set to make a big name for itself and is in the next price range to the Bosch/Varta but I am only aware of that one that is using the tech they are praising so its 100ah at the moment with more due in 2019 I believe but again check.

As Trev says there is no problem age wise matching what you have but you will need space to fit. There are other things to consider when you fit additional batteries though, cable sizing, charging ability etc. and how much you need to do will depend on what is there to start with. Nothing to stop you having batteries you 'swap' over to though while you find out so could take another fully charged to the meet if you want to.

Have a look here as a starting point to see what may be needed for increasing batteries, may be fine but better safe than sorry I think:

Adding a Second Battery

My 2018 motorhome came fitted with a single Platinum 100amp leisure battery, I think I could really do with two leisure batteries as a safety net and although this battery is only around 4 months old I have read that if you want a twin battery setup it is best to fit the same make and model of battery and of the same age, which would involve buying two batteries.

I have been thinking of getting two of these 12V YUASA 100AH EFB LEISURE BATTERY (L36-EFB) but note they are only 100AH, were I have seen other brand of batteries that are 115AH, would I gain anything by going for a different brand of battery if it gives a higher AH rating, I arrive back to the UK tonight and want to try and source the batteries so that I have them for the New Year party at Hereford, so would need them to be delivered on the 28th December. Can't order though until I get home tonight as I need to measure the existing battery that is already fitted, as there didn't look to be a lot of room in its box. It has a 120 watt solar panel fitted, so would a twin battery setup be ok. I was going to use Alpha batteries as they offer a 5% discount to members. Is anyone using the Yuasa batteries and are they likely to be any better than the Platinum battery brand.
Here is something that may interest you ....
That "100Ah" Yuasa Battery actually has a higher capacity then most of the 115Ah Batteries you have seen ;)
How come? The capacity is quoted for the C20 run time. Most batteries 'Headline' capacities are quoted at the C100 run time. E.G. my Leoch 110Ah batteries are quoted at 110Ah at C100, but at C20 the capacity is only 90Ah.
Think of the C100 vs C20 like the way fuel economy is quoted to compare cars - C100 is the constant 56MPH MPG, and C20 is the more realistic mixed driving MPG.

When comparing capacities it is worth checking to see if it is quoted as the C100 or C20 value (most decent batteries will make it clear).
Which to get is another question, but thought it worth making the capacity thing a bit clearer.

Last edited:
When comparing capacities it is worth checking to see if it is quoted as the C100 or C20 value (most decent batteries will make it clear).
Which to get is another question, but thought it worth making the capacity thing a bit clearer.

I believe Alpha Batteries have joined the fight to stop the misrepresentation Dave and have downgraded what they describe a lot of the batteries on their site as (y)

I believe Alpha Batteries have joined the fight to stop the misrepresentation Dave and have downgraded what they describe a lot of the batteries on their site as (y)
It is good for it to be clearer but ... I wouldn't go as far as to call it misrepresentation really. The battery still has all the capacity quoted but just accessible when released more slowly.
But yes, for sure the capacity for the same C rating should be used to make comparisons easier (I think in the USA the C20 value is the one quoted by default)

Hi Mobilvetta

I thought your new Camper was running heavy and that you were uprating payload

I wouldn’t want to add another heavy battery that could weigh 25kgs in that case

:(

Hi Mobilvetta

I thought your new Camper was running heavy and that you were uprating payload

I wouldn’t want to add another heavy battery that could weigh 25kgs in that case

:(
Thanks I now have pay load to play with as I updated it from 3650kG to 4050KG and the back axle by 240kg, so shouldn't be an issue now.

Here is something that may interest you ....
That "100Ah" Yuasa Battery actually has a higher capacity then most of the 115Ah Batteries you have seen ;)
How come? The capacity is quoted for the C20 run time. Most batteries 'Headline' capacities are quoted at the C100 run time. E.G. my Leoch 110Ah batteries are quoted at 110Ah at C100, but at C20 the capacity is only 90Ah.
Think of the C100 vs C20 like the way fuel economy is quoted to compare cars - C100 is the constant 56MPH MPG, and C20 is the more realistic mixed driving MPG.

I read a report in one of the motorhome mags and they highly rated this new Yausa batteries. But they will say out if you are advertising with them, so I'm a bit sceptical.

Please dont just buy from that link I posted I was just showing how the cost it coming down. You would need to check they are indeed a good make and see what else you may need to upgrade rather than just going buying one. The Yuasa L36 EBF looks set to make a big name for itself and is in the next price range to the Bosch/Varta but I am only aware of that one that is using the tech they are praising so its 100ah at the moment with more due in 2019 I believe but again check.

As Trev says there is no problem age wise matching what you have but you will need space to fit. There are other things to consider when you fit additional batteries though, cable sizing, charging ability etc. and how much you need to do will depend on what is there to start with. Nothing to stop you having batteries you 'swap' over to though while you find out so could take another fully charged to the meet if you want to.

Have a look here as a starting point to see what may be needed for increasing batteries, may be fine but better safe than sorry I think:

Adding a Second Battery

That could be a great idea for now, just buy one and take it with us and swap it if the original battery gets low along with a spare battery charger. It's more for the four nights at Hereford, but could do with a permanent solution as we are off to Spain on the 20th January.

I have a single 110 ah Platinum battery. It had quite a hard life from new (it’s agm) as I had no solar initially. When it failed at nearly two years old I replaced it with an identical one as the space in my van would not fit any other battery of 110ah. Platinum were excellent, and gave me a full refund for the first one as it had a 2 year warranty.
I expect to last 5 nights at Hereford without a problem, even though the solar will contribute little. In modern vans led lighting uses little, good insulation means the truma uses little. I don’t expect to be watching tv much. I think that charging i pads is the greatest draw.

I have a single 110 ah Platinum battery. It had quite a hard life from new (it’s agm) as I had no solar initially. When it failed at nearly two years old I replaced it with an identical one as the space in my van would not fit any other battery of 110ah. Platinum were excellent, and gave me a full refund for the first one as it had a 2 year warranty.
I expect to last 5 nights at Hereford without a problem, even though the solar will contribute little. In modern vans led lighting uses little, good insulation means the truma uses little. I don’t expect to be watching tv much. I think that charging i pads is the greatest draw.

Decisions, decisions, Thanks I don't know whether to just buy another platinum for now then and it is the cheapest option, especially if I can pair up with the existing one at a later date if I get issues. If Alpha have them is stock I could call into there place to pick it up on route to Hereford. I would then only use it if I run low, if my vans survived the 4 nights on one battery, that would be good enough for me as I plan been on a EHU at least every forth night when away in Spain, us I will be driving to places which would put some charge back in.

May be better to wait and see if you need to do anything, you will get more from the solar in Spain than you will in the UK especially over New Years Eve.

Really you want an idea of how much power you are using but at the least see how long it lasts you before you do anything :)

I carry a 40ah golf cart battery just in case, but don’t really need it. My van is quite small so don’t have room for another full size battery.

Decisions, decisions, Thanks I don't know whether to just buy another platinum for now then and it is the cheapest option, especially if I can pair up with the existing one at a later date if I get issues. If Alpha have them is stock I could call into there place to pick it up on route to Hereford. I would then only use it if I run low, if my vans survived the 4 nights on one battery, that would be good enough for me as I plan been on a EHU at least every forth night when away in Spain, us I will be driving to places which would put some charge back in.

For now That seems to me to be the cheapest and best plan...and as you say pair them up when you can and unpair them if the current battery has a problem (which it should not). You can go for a different setup in due course if you need to.
We live quite happily (in the summer) on 1x85AH battery and 120watt solar and rarely use EHU. Obviously winter is different but as you plan to travel some days and EHU every four days (maybe 3?) you should be fine...Do not let Hereford push you into wasteful expense..Maybe the best plan is to OR simply buy the biggest in terms of Amp-hour battery that will fit your battery space and just run with that !

I think I'd be tempted to use Hereford as a test to see how things go... being with group at a venue with facilities where you won't have to use pump power much for showers, washing up or for lighting/entertainment in the evenings would be a bit of a safety net. The weather is set to be fairly mild too, so unlikely you'd need overnight heating. I'm assuming you've got solar? You could always go for a long drive out one day to charge things up, plus Lee said he has emergency contingency plans in place. Just a thought. Otherwise, a second twin battery would make sense for now.

I think I'd be tempted to use Hereford as a test to see how things go... being with group at a venue with facilities where you won't have to use pump power much for showers, washing up or for lighting/entertainment in the evenings would be a bit of a safety net. The weather is set to be fairly mild too, so unlikely you'd need overnight heating. I'm assuming you've got solar? You could always go for a long drive out one day to charge things up, plus Lee said he has emergency contingency plans in place. Just a thought. Otherwise, a second twin battery would make sense for now.
Good common sense !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back