Renewing a licence aged 70 for a C1 Licence

Fun with cancer

Hi Guys,

I’m so glad I found this great forum.

My husband and I have just going to exchange our smaller motor home which we bought in October of last year. Our dream home as I have been diagnosed with cancer but still ok. We just want to travel. We have bought Bürstner Elegance i800. I have driven it and my husband and indeed the salesman were amazed and how well I drove it, backed into a parking space etc. I used to drive horse boxes before we met, 5 years ago and all the hubby used to drive was cars?. My problem is I’m 70 in a few months. I passed my test in 1967 so have all the categories. I now realise that I can renew my licence for cars but what does one do to get a licence for our ‘Beast’. My cancer doesn’t have any effect on my driving ability. ?

You will be sent a letter to renew your licence, but will lose the category for minibuses and vehicles over 3.5t unless you take a medical exam. The exam has to be paid for. The new licence has to be renewed every 3 years.....

I think you need different forms as well as the medical, possibly D2 and D4. They can be ordered online from the DVLA where you should find the info you need.

As stated above you need a Form D2,
you can pick one up from main post offices. It is an 8 page form that is mainly filled in by a doctor, I used my own GP.
The annoying thing is there is no question on the D2 for the doctor to confirm in his opinion that you are fit to drive.
My advice is to apply early, it took me the best part of four months to get mine and in the meantime I ended up SORNing my van. Several letters to DVLA and with my MP's involvement plus two additional test which I think were insisted on as I had complained about the delay.

Re. Applying early.
Now I’m not sure if it applies to C1. But I have to renew my C1+E license and have a medical every year.
The renewed license is often sent out or granted by the DVLA long after the renewal date. The first and second time this happened,I phoned the DVLA to make sure I could still work. The answer was an unequivocal,yes. Unless or until you are told by the DVLA medical team that you are unfit to drive, your license will run on.
Of course I did not have a current license to show my employer, that needed a phone call to Swansea. At my request they assured my manager that I was still licensed.
Not sure if this helps.
Medical examinations providers are available online. D4drivers, or Doctorsonwheels.
From memory £55 and 20 minutes.

I think the rules for renewal (1 year vs 3 year renewals for example) are different if you use the enhanced (C or D) endorsements for professional use as opposed to recreational?

Just looked on t’web. AgeUK. have a Q&A on driving licences. It’s an easy find. Cos I found it. ? It looks like you complete form D46P, and that should be sent to your home address, or can be collected from the Post Office.
Other than you haven’t been told not to drive medical grounds, if you can pass the eyesight requirements,there shouldn’t be a problem. From what I’ve read a medical isn’t necessary, it’s on trust. Unless you’re going for over 3.5 tonne. Believe me, the medical is nothing to worry about. It’s pretty much,if you can get into the room unaided. You’ve passed.
As I’m going to keep working for a while yet, I will have to do the medical.

As this thread is explictly about renewing C1 entitlement, the OP is 'going for over 3.5 tonne'. According to the DVLA website for the online renewal service, "You can’t use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post. " If you follow the DVLA link and then the link for 'over 45 years of age', the DVLA say they send lorry/bus drivers both D47P and D4 forms (the latter is for a medical) and both need to be completed and sent to DVLA. AFAICT, motorhome users who need to retain C1 entitlement past 70 years of age need to request a D2 pack from DVLA, which contains an application to renew your C1/D1 (not for hire or reward) and a D4 medical form. Both need to be completed and sent to DVLA. HTH, Geoff

Thanks for clearing that up Geoff.
Like a lot of things, you can only give your own life experiences. I do realise that mine are different to others.
The fact does remain, the medical is nothing to worry about. If a medical is required the a google of D4drivers could save you a couple of quid.

The medical is always needed to retain C1 and has to be repeated at least every 3 years. Some people are required to have a full medical including a heart stress test, probably those that have had previous heart issues. I have heard that sometimes annual medicals are required and the license only extended one year at a time.

Hi booked a medical with doctors on wheels £54. They go to lots of destinations in mobile office.
I went to the Northampton Holiday Inn for mine. Next time I do it I’ll make sure Holiday Inn know I’m there, and have my car registration number in their system. Parking fine a couple of days later. Took weeks to get it revoked.

As this thread is explictly about renewing C1 entitlement, the OP is 'going for over 3.5 tonne'. According to the DVLA website for the online renewal service, "You can’t use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post. " If you follow the DVLA link and then the link for 'over 45 years of age', the DVLA say they send lorry/bus drivers both D47P and D4 forms (the latter is for a medical) and both need to be completed and sent to DVLA. AFAICT, motorhome users who need to retain C1 entitlement past 70 years of age need to request a D2 pack from DVLA, which contains an application to renew your C1/D1 (not for hire or reward) and a D4 medical form. Both need to be completed and sent to DVLA. HTH, Geoff
And don't forget the eyesight test, this requires a separate form (also from DVLA) and normally the optician will complete this for you. Some 'Medical examiners' will do this but the Opticians carries more 'clout' with DVLA.

And don't forget the eyesight test, this requires a separate form (also from DVLA) and normally the optician will complete this for you. Some 'Medical examiners' will do this but the Opticians carries more 'clout' with DVLA.
The eyesight test is not a separate form. It is page 2 of Form D4

I have just started this process, the DVLA did indeed send out the forms but not only for the 'normal' car licence renewal. For the C1 category yes you can request the forms via the UKGOV website but three weeks after requesting them they still haven't turned.

All the forms you require can be obtained from main Post Offices, which is what I did, this approach will speed things up no end. As the local Doctor couldn't do the eye test, I had to have the eye test undertaken first and the appropiate bit of the form filled in and stamped by the optician, follewed by a visit to our GP who filled the rest of the medical form in. It has to be undertaken in this order.

My gripe is, why when they know you have the C1 entitlement can't they send the correct form, or even both sets of forms, out in the first place?

Cos it’s the DVLA. They don’t do multitasking. Last bastion of demarcation of labour.

I gave up my 'grandfather' C1 at 70 because I thought I didn't need it. Fast forward 2 years and decided I did. I had the medical done at my own doctors who also did the eye sight test on a Friday and sent the D2/D4 forms off the DVLA. Exactly one week later, 5 working days, I had my new licence with my C1 and C1E entitlements renewed for 3 years.
The reason they do not automatically send out renewals for C1 licences at 70 is because the vast majority of drivers renewing at 70 only want a car licence. Many tens of thousands of D2/D4 forms would just end up as recycling.

I gave up my 'grandfather' C1 at 70 because I thought I didn't need it. Fast forward 2 years and decided I did. I had the medical done at my own doctors who also did the eye sight test on a Friday and sent the D2/D4 forms off the DVLA. Exactly one week later, 5 working days, I had my new licence with my C1 and C1E entitlements renewed for 3 years.
The reason they do not automatically send out renewals for C1 licences at 70 is because the vast majority of drivers renewing at 70 only want a car licence. Many tens of thousands of D2/D4 forms would just end up as recycling.
Nice one. I hope your experience has put others fears at rest. I’m pretty sure many “worry “ themselves out of their entitlement.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back