Solar panels

Okay I have just discovered a serious flaw with my solar panel installation. The sun is coming out and it’s quite bright really needing sun glasses but getting absolutely nothing from the panels. The problem is around 6 inches of snow on the roof and no access to clear them off. So sat keeping engine running around 1200 rpm to top up with the B2B.

You definitely need a multitude of charging methods if you are going off grid at this time of year and not just solar. :)

Okay I have just discovered a serious flaw with my solar panel installation. The sun is coming out and it’s quite bright really needing sun glasses but getting absolutely nothing from the panels. The problem is around 6 inches of snow on the roof and no access to clear them off. So sat keeping engine running around 1200 rpm to top up with the B2B.

You definitely need a multitude of charging methods if you are going off grid at this time of year and not just solar. :)

You'll need to put on your thinking cap, how to clear the snow off, I know tilting panels oh no here we go again.:eek::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Go for a drive, throw it around a bit. Throw off the snow and get b2b without leaving the engine on idle - which is bad. Winner winner!

You'll need to put on your thinking cap, how to clear the snow off, I know tilting panels oh no here we go again.:eek::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
No roof access Lee so it won’t work as I couldn’t tilt them lol

Go for a drive, throw it around a bit. Throw off the snow and get b2b without leaving the engine on idle - which is bad. Winner winner!
Ha ha Steve, I am off out in a remote area, only thing going for a drive here at the moment are the 4x4 junkies, I am sat in maybe 4 to 6 inches of snow. If I get on the road it’s a single track with a drop on passenger side to the bottom of the valley :)

Lovely spot but was just making a light hearted post about solar draw backs :)

Can’t you pop your head through a roof hatch and brush the snow off?
I am a bit too short Eric, son in law gets on the roof that way but I would probably break my neck lol. Doesn’t matter as I would maybe get 2 amps when sun at its highest, was more a joke really.

Just had a 4x4 full up nearby and the guy came to check if I was okay and if I needed anything as he has seen me here a few days. Thought that was nice of him. He said he didn’t think I would be getting anywhere if I wanted to, there are abandoned cars all over the place. Del just got out in time yesterday morning as he doesn’t like snow but Charlie is spitting feathers that he is missing it lol

D79B6A98-7A01-42F0-87A5-C9767032B0F0.jpeg

I am a bit too short Eric, son in law gets on the roof that way but I would probably break my neck lol. Doesn’t matter as I would maybe get 2 amps when sun at its highest, was more a joke really.

Just had a 4x4 full up nearby and the guy came to check if I was okay and if I needed anything as he has seen me here a few days. Thought that was nice of him. He said he didn’t think I would be getting anywhere if I wanted to, there are abandoned cars all over the place. Del just got out in time yesterday morning as he doesn’t like snow but Charlie is spitting feathers that he is missing it lol

View attachment 42123
I wouldn’t mind being stuck in that.

Well I was hoping the gas strut would turn up today but no. So here are some pictures of how I’ve fitted the adjustable struts to the roof +how I’ve fastened the panels down to roof.Got my mate to make some nylon tube nuts as they wont vibrate off .The struts are made of a couple of adjustable walking sticks and they work great but not really long enough for the winter sun but will be fine in the summer .I am getting some box section stainless to make up two long ones for the winter + fit gas struts as lifting them will be a lot easier.I also fitted a strap from the edge of the panels to the roof as you can see in picture.

Even at that angle in the winter I would imagine your "harvest" would not be to shabby.

Go for a drive? When I left him, yes I know I shouldn’t have left him, he was up to his hubs in snow. It maybe spring before he can move again.
I exaggerate, it was only an inch or two. Photos today, up to his hubs,

No roof access Lee so it won’t work as I couldn’t tilt them lol
You need to try harder, think electric motor.
Or what about a big windscreen wipery thingy Bob.???
After all you've got loads of time on your hand sat in the snow in a wooded lane somewhere in Derbyshire.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back