Traveller problem. What would you do ?

funny how that works- we were parked up in a clearing off a forestry road in wales when a load of ''new age travellers ''[there must be a better way of describing them ! ] pulled up and asked me if i minded them parking there ! not my woods or road or earth park where you want mate, i've got no jurisdiction here.

about half an hour later one came up and asked if i was ok with them having a spliff . i couldn't stop laughing - who do you think was there in the 60's mate -us old farts , that's who , now pass it over !
I trust you checked their documents etc :unsure: ;)

I be seen the prejudice from the other side, I toured with a simple Gitane circus for about 6 weeks in the dordogne we all stunk of hoss, but cassoulet under the stars made up for it. I also worked and lived with travelling showmen in this country,

We did a fair at haigh just off the m1 near Barnsley adjacent was a watering hole called the old post office and we were banned before anyone got served ! Our gaffer, who was a showman but gypsy descent went in and I believe gave the landlord a refundable bond , my lads won’t cause trouble and if they do take it out of that, all the hiring were told in no uncertain terms to behave and have a wash before going in the place ( that bit was fair no one wanted us lot in oil covered jeans with grease mixed in sat on their side saddles) the 5 days we were there was uneventful other than when we left and Richard got his money back the landlord told him we had been a pleasure and could go back any time we wanted.

I sometimes wonder when I read the anti traveller sentiment on this site and it’s sister site if people are either naive or just simply unaware of how many travellers you are dealing with. A lot of campsites are owned by travellers, wyldecrest parks alfie best, foreman’s bridge in Norfolk John hoey, then dealers glossop caravans Stan Laing, samways , global caravans the knowles family ....and all of them are ok folk. ...just food for thought

I be seen the prejudice from the other side, I toured with a simple Gitane circus for about 6 weeks in the dordogne we all stunk of hoss, but cassoulet under the stars made up for it. I also worked and lived with travelling showmen in this country,

We did a fair at haigh just off the m1 near Barnsley adjacent was a watering hole called the old post office and we were banned before anyone got served ! Our gaffer, who was a showman but gypsy descent went in and I believe gave the landlord a refundable bond , my lads won’t cause trouble and if they do take it out of that, all the hiring were told in no uncertain terms to behave and have a wash before going in the place ( that bit was fair no one wanted us lot in oil covered jeans with grease mixed in sat on their side saddles) the 5 days we were there was uneventful other than when we left and Richard got his money back the landlord told him we had been a pleasure and could go back any time we wanted.

I sometimes wonder when I read the anti traveller sentiment on this site and it’s sister site if people are either naive or just simply unaware of how many travellers you are dealing with. A lot of campsites are owned by travellers, wyldecrest parks alfie best, foreman’s bridge in Norfolk John hoey, then dealers glossop caravans Stan Laing, samways , global caravans the knowles family ....and all of them are ok folk. ...just food for thought
Like everything in life unfortunately everyone gets tarred with the same brush. There was a lot of truth in the saying "One bad apple spoils the barrel". We had a good friend, now no longer with us, sadly, who we had known since we were teenagers. He used to come in the pub and all the regulars knew him. We met up again a few years later at a C&W festival and he remembered us. He even tried to get us invited to a "proper" gypsey wedding, unfortunately, as we were not family it was not allowed. Whenever they moved on they always left the site clean and tidy unlike some "ordinary" wildcampers who move on and leave a mess. These are the types who get Motorhomers etc. a bad name. I live at the seaside and during the season there is rubbish strewn everywhere and these are not all "travellers"

I have never come across a Traveller that has bought new from a Dealership, it just makes me more suspicious that it is a ringer.

I have, Jim.

Someone I knew through a friend about 6 years ago, I didn't even know he was a traveller at the time.

He turned up in a brand new £150k rig and it had definitely been bought from a dealership.

Paid for in cash. :)

Met some nice travellers at the meet I organised at the Green Dragon at Hawes a few years ago.
They weren't part of our group, think they were staying nearby, or possibly just passing through.

Just saying that you can't always judge books by their covers. 😉

Perhaps to or from to Appleby Marie ? Get a few there with traditional Vardos displayed like classic cars and a few don’t trailer use horsepower leading up to it devils bridge is a spectacle on the a65 .....mind you Appleby is nothing in terms of numbers with Lourdes in France. I have never seen as many trailers in my life. Fields full as far as the eye can see, a tradition based on Catholicism and social interaction with family and friends

When I worked the fairs the first big meet was February st valentines fair in Leeds ellandvroad football ground , each family disperse does their own circuit meeting up again in the Walton street fair in hull very much s social occasion a cou ple of weeks before the hoppings in Newcastle or goose fair in Nottingham you met other other fairground folk you hadn’t since start of season ,,,,but Walton street in this part of the world marked the end of the season.

Lots of trading takes place too the buying and selling of plant, stalls and occcasionsl swopping of pitches for the following year to make life easier logistically. On a romantic level weddings and introduction of suitors for daughters and sons loosely arranged marriages are still common I knew a few and it seemed to work or they made it work.

One last glimpse of the lifestyle, and back in Leeds a few don’t do the fair because of the weather the first one I did we arrived the following morning a blanket of snow, so going round with spray paint so people could find their pitches it was a bit of pressure because before we opened everything set up which takes hours the fire service turn up to check firebreaks and can get in with appliances if they need too, building the machines was awful laid on your back in slush ,hands freezing you couldn’t feel them could get depressing , climbing icy gangtrys to change bulbs or secure a light board was not for the faint hearted. Here’s the twist, on opening day the fair is blessed by the bishop of Leeds along with the showman’s guild reps in attendance a lot of folk don’t know this the fair is declared open but one last twist. The first afternoon is by ticket only and each disabled child in Leeds invited with their careers to ride for free. It’s sensible because it takes timevt o help kids out of wheelchairs mak sure they are safe when we took money we didn’t need that, but equally we wanted everyone to enjoy themselves.

The look and smiles on the kids faces,obvious excitement it made every painful moment of build up worth it ...I am very proud to have been part of that. Equally proud and thus defensive of travelling showman whose charity is never nor do they want publicised

Finally we paid a lot of rent , paid for waste disposal hired portaloos etc and were contracted to leave the place tidy otherwise be billed by the council. Again people choose to ignore that bit

I'd have just packed up and gone as soon as I felt that they were spoiling my stay.

I've stayed on sites with travellers and you couldn't wish to meet nicer people, conversely I've had the misfortune to have rowdy non travellers pitch up close by, and quickly made me decide to carry on my journeys elsewhere.

The fact that this particular family are travellers is irrelevant, there are inconsiderate idiots in all walks of life.
You've either got to confront them which, in my experience, often just inflames the situation, or just leave them to it and go somewhere else to continue your stay.

Reading the lead message to this thread it seems to me that the main issue that stands ou is that of "travellers".

We have members Fulltimers in this group whose home on wheels are of varied shapes, forms and sizes and not necessarily branded motorhomes or campervans.
I spend a lot of time offgrid. It would be awful for us to be branded with the negative sounding word of "Travellers" just because of our lifestyle.

Furthermore quite a number of people and families are now being driven to similar a lifestyle including living in cars due to unaffordable rents, dire circumstances in life.

The motorhomer.com sister site is wildcamping though more civilised and organised camping.

My motto is live and let live. If there are issues of concern I would address the specifics without labelling groups of people or individuals.

Apologies if my response hurt any feeling.
May we always find a peaceful spot to park our cherished home on wheels and meet kindred spirited folks along the road.

Hi what is the difference between a motorhome full time. Caravanner full time and a traveller.
Erm, there is no difference whatsoever. Not sure there is a difference with people who motorhome a few months each year either.
That's what makes all the racist comments so ridiculous.
Not here, I hasten to add, but some motorhome forums are extremely racist towards travellers.

i've seen people on m/home forms, even self builders , getting snotty about people in older tatty vans. shouldn't be allowed
I get Snotty when I Go abroad
  • They drive on the wrong side of the road
  • They do not speak English and the talk funny anyway
  • They insist on using Euros
  • They have better wine
  • Their roads are mainly empty
  • Easier parking
  • Better camping
Need I "Mrs Doyle" ?

Erm, there is no difference whatsoever. Not sure there is a difference with people who motorhome a few months each year either.
That's what makes all the racist comments so ridiculous.
Not here, I hasten to add, but some motorhome forums are extremely racist towards travellers.

No difference you say?, try putting a caravan on your own piece of land & building yourself a shed then tell me there's no difference....

Haven't missed anything, just pointing out that we aren't all the same. Even the gypsy council specify that any legislation they get overturned should only be overturned for themselves & specifically not for new age travellers etc. Even they argue that we should not be given the same rights as "traditional" travellers, ie Irish gypsies etc.

Haven't missed anything, just pointing out that we aren't all the same. Even the gypsy council specify that any legislation they get overturned should only be overturned for themselves & specifically not for new age travellers etc. Even they argue that we should not be given the same rights as "traditional" travellers, ie Irish gypsies etc.
The gypsy council is a pressure group.

Doesn't matter what they are, they get things done & they operate a very real "us & them" policy, hence my statement that even they see a divide among the "traveller" community....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back