Tyre pressures

Best thing I ever did, getting weighed and adjusting pressures.
Only about 10lb over but mesh less harsh ride over the bumps!!!!

So I don't wan't to turn this into a moan fest but I thought I would update you all with my current issue :rolleyes:

So after having my vehicle weighed and using the Continental recommended pressure chart by axle weight I have lowered the pressure in the tyres.

But now every time I start the vehicle the TPMS light is alluminated and I get a message stating my tyres are under inflated. I have now sent messages to WildAx the manufacturer, Citroen and continental for clarification as I have no idea where my tyre pressure should be.

What frustrates me is that my tyres are the only thing in contact with the road so are important and finding the correct levels should not be this damn hard :mad:

I’ve calculated 43 front 1540 kg 54 back 1700kg.
Does that sound or look right!
They look healthy, not too soft if that’s more of a guide, and I seldom exceed 60mph even on motorways, downhill occasionally maybe!!

Seems on the low side to me, but I prefer them harder, (ex trucker thing)
Weight is quite light, well under 3,500 which surprised me but we do try to travel light on clutter!!!!
It certainly seems to ride softer, seemed very harsh over severe bumps at 55/65 I had before.

It's a bit of a minefield isn't it? I've always followed the recommendation in the motorhome manual that came with mine... 66psi all round. The sticker inside the van door recommends completely different pressures but I've always assumed that would have been stuck on for the base van, before it grew into a motorhome? The Tyresafe check gives different figures again, plus I had no idea that individual van tyres have different maximum pressures. Something else for me to research! Anyone got an aspirin? o_O

What makes it difficult is garages do not locate their airlines in suitable places for MH's most of the time ?

Well that would be a cunning plan except tyresafe recommends 10psi over the maximum pressure as stated on the tyre.

Tyresafe figs seem very high which makes for very stiff hard rattly ride!!!!

I just very recently had new tyres fitted Michelin Agilis and so they are fine and I call into the tyre place local to me and they check them for me so don’t worry.

The problem with tyre pressure monitors that replace the dust cap is that you are depending on an airtight seal between the valve tube and the cap. To operate, they have to disable the actual valve.
So yes, they will tell you of a tyre is soft, but they are the most likely cause of the problem they alert you to!
My car detects soft tyres by counting how many times the wheels go round. If one starts turning more than the others (because its effective radius, and therefore its circumference, is smaller) it tells me. But I have to delve deeper into the stored values to find out which one is soft!

But when you corner the wheels taking the larger circle will naturally be going round faster, so how can that work! Also a soft tyre will not necessarily go round faster in a straight line, just have more rubber on the road.

Getting really stressed about all of this. The more I look at the Continental data sheet the more I am convinced that I have the wrong tyres. Or maybe its just in my head. :cry:

Getting really stressed about all of this. The more I look at the Continental data sheet the more I am convinced that I have the wrong tyres. Or maybe its just in my head. :cry:
If in doubt send weights and tyre details to Continental and they will advise, been good with me

The plate on the van says my pressures should be 73 front 79 rear

I tried this last two weeks with just 65psi all round, although I have been maintaining 80psi (for the past 6 years) in the rear (according to the user handbook), 65psi all round was not a problem on the trip, and maybe not so noisy. Don't know yet how it may (if at all) have affected my mpg.

Not a clue, who cares, way too anal for me. I have always relied on them all looking more or less the same on the same vehicle, a bit flat at the bottom, but not overso, and round everywhere else, a visual inspection of condition is further up my list.

I also have a feel of them on any long runs after an hour or so to see if they're getting too hot, this check includes the actual wheel in case the brakes are binding.

Seems on the low side to me, but I prefer them harder, (ex trucker thing)

That seems low to me as well. Obviously it depends on the size and width of tyre, but our van runs at 1450kg on the front axle and the Michelin recommendation for that weight is 51psi on 225/75/16 Agilis.

Dave

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back