Tyre pressures

About 18 months ago I decided to write to Continental to get info from the horses mouth. I'm glad I did as I was way too low on the back and too high on the front. It is all about axle weight and different manufacturers will give different pressures so write to the tech dept of your manufacturer for info and get weighed. See attached clip from the Continental.continental tyre.png
I check my pressures before every trip and about every week when away.

Based on Nigel’s info from Continental, it would seem that Michelin Agilis camper equivalents, same size etc, are designed to run at much higher pressures, eg 43.5psi for 1730kg front axle on a Continental, compared with 51psi for 1450kg front axle with Michelin. Mmmm, might swap over next time.
Dave

We think alike PB but that does coincide with what’s stated inside cab and on tyresafe.otg so I am extra chilled ha ha

Based on Nigel’s info from Continental, it would seem that Michelin Agilis camper equivalents, same size etc, are designed to run at much higher pressures, eg 43.5psi for 1730kg front axle on a Continental, compared with 51psi for 1450kg front axle with Michelin. Mmmm, might swap over next time.
Dave
Is the tyre size identical to what Nigel states though? Continental quoted me 3.5bar on front axle of 1750kgs and 4.5bar on rear single wheel axle of 2430kgs. I think they said I could go down on front but it feels right at that pressure

It is so wrong that many converters just quote the maximum tyre pressures of the tyre fitted, instead of the correct pressures.
So many complain of wheel spin and poor grip in the wet, and yet will not take heed when told they are running at far too high a pressure, just because the label on the door pillar, or the quoted pressures in the manual, say so!

They are actually dangerous in many cases, as in an emergency stop it will take much longer to do so, as less rubber on the road.

I remember my first motorhome which was under 3.5t, purchased from Marquis, and they had blown all tyres up to over 80psi. It was a few weeks of feeling like I was driving on rough gravel roads, and wheel spin on almost any but the slowest of pull-aways, before I realised the problem.

Last edited:
Is the tyre size identical to what Nigel states though? Continental quoted me 3.5bar on front axle of 1750kgs and 4.5bar on rear single wheel axle of 2430kgs. I think they said I could go down on front but it feels right at that pressure

Yes, I did say that mine are Michelin equivalents, same size etc ..........
Dave

It is so wrong that many converters just quote the maximum tyre pressures of the tyre fitted, instead of the correct pressures.
So many conplain of wheel spin and poor grip in the wet, and yet will not take heed when told they are running at far too high a pressure, just because the label on the door pillar, or the quoted pressures in the manual, say so!

They are actually dangerous in many cases, as in an emergency stop it will take much longer to do so, as less rubber on the road.

it’s not just the converters, Michelin unlike Continental will not give a rear axle figure anymore, simply suggesting that they should run at maximum, ie 80psi because that’s what their Camper tyres were designed for. Strangely up to a few years ago, they would give figures for both axles if you provided the axle loading, the change of attitude presumably reflects our increasingly risk averse society. Common sense tells me that if I am not running at full payload, the pressure ought to be lower.
Dave

Reactions: TR5
Can you quantify what tyres you are using, or are you looking at the USA figure of 69psi on a CP tyre, which is not applicable in the UK!
If so, you should also see the UK spec. maximum tyre pressure of 80psi.

Can't see how to delete this, when I wish to??

Last edited:
Well that would be a cunning plan except tyresafe recommends 10psi over the maximum pressure as stated on the tyre.

Can you quantify what tyres you are using, or are you looking at the USA figure of 69psi on a CP tyre, which is not applicable in the UK!
If so, you should also see the UK spec. maximum tyre pressure of 80psi.

If you have CP tyres fitted, the max pressure is 5.5bar (80psi)

Last edited:
Yes, and have monitors fitted, so constantly checked.

me too, you can keep a constant eye on all tyres, mine is a 4600Kg, single rear axle but there are four wheels on it

Current Continental van tyre pressure info for the motorhomers who check their tyres but also know the weight of their fully loaded holiday packed vehicle.
Which probably rules out most of us.

Attachments

• CONTINENTAL TYRE PRESSURES-VAN.pdf
    586.9 KB · Views: 13
Current Continental van tyre pressure info for the motorhomers who check their tyres but also know the weight of their fully loaded holiday packed vehicle.
Which probably rules out most of us.
Well, if that is true "most of you" should go and find out! it is a basic responsibility to know what your large vehicle weighs as well as checking your tyres in my humble opinion

Mine are 73psi front, 80psi rear. I’ve found garage forecourt air lines will not go above 60psi but ATS will happily check and adjust tire pressures free of charge.

My Iveco seems to be backwards to most other vans, perhaps it's because it's a twin rear wheel job. The manual says 68psi front and 52psi rear on 185/70/16 C tyres.

My Iveco seems to be backwards to most other vans, perhaps it's because it's a twin rear wheel job. The manual says 68psi front and 52psi rear on 185/70/16 C tyres.

4 tyres on the rear need less pressure to carry the weight than 2 tyres would.

How much do tyre pressure monitors cost to be fitted?
Depends on the type you get.
Ones with external screw-on sensors are very much a DIY job. Take dust cap off; screw sensor on. If you needed someone to do that, coincide with anything else being done on the van and I would expect no charge from a decent garage.
Ones with internal sensors need wheels off, tyres deflalted, beads broken and original valves replaced with the TPMS valves. I have had these fitted to coincide with new tyres and was charged LESS than usual tyre fitting price as I was effectively supplying my own valves.
The most recent internal set I had installed (on my VW T4 I think), the tyre dealers charged me £10 - for all four, not each - to add to existing tyres. That admittedly was a mates rate deal, but the cost should be no more than getting a tyre fitted/puncture repaired, so around £10-£15 a wheel max I would say (go to independent tyre places at quiet times when the fitters are kicking their heels for the best price ;) )

I have been inspired by this thread and have just purchased a TPMS. So now I will join the informed

With specific TPMS valves fitted, what make of display do you use?

I have the DIY Tyrepal unit at the moment.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back