Tyre pressures

I read somewhere that all vehicles manufatcured after 2014 must have TPMS. How do you know if you have it and where to look?

Have a look in owners manual, mine on the car displays though the onboard computer but pops up a warning if something is wrong.

I think some are remote displays and others are on the dust caps themselves

Are they easy to fit/have fitted?
My manual refers to the but not fitted as far as I know. 2016 built ducato.

Are they easy to fit/have fitted?
My manual refers to the but not fitted as far as I know. 2016 built ducato.

Yes a lot are only a bit more than changing dust caps. You then have a display that you put where you want

I did once go to the local garage to check I had the all round 66lb's as stated in the manual. Took all the caps off (not easy with bad legs), fed the slot with money, did the fronts then discovered the hose not long enough to reach the back! Went out around the 1 way system and back in, pulling further forward, fed slot more money, got a rollicking from garage staff for blocking some safety equipment, blasted them for short hose, went home. Bought and fitted electronic gadget, now remotely checked and monitored, soooo... much easier and use larger garages with longer hoses!
Take them of with your hands next time,legs are for walking with.:LOL:

Yes a lot are only a bit more than changing dust caps. You then have a display that you put where you want
The problem with tyre pressure monitors that replace the dust cap is that you are depending on an airtight seal between the valve tube and the cap. To operate, they have to disable the actual valve.
So yes, they will tell you of a tyre is soft, but they are the most likely cause of the problem they alert you to!
My car detects soft tyres by counting how many times the wheels go round. If one starts turning more than the others (because its effective radius, and therefore its circumference, is smaller) it tells me. But I have to delve deeper into the stored values to find out which one is soft!

Do you know the correct tyre pressures for your vehicle and how often do you check them - honestly?
its probably been on before but this is how I work it out
get a reading for the actual axle weights ie front on mine 1700 check on tyre for the max axle weight and tyre pressure for the tyre i.e. 1000 at 78psi then actual axle weight divide by two(because the weight is shared by 2wheels)
850divide by 1000 x max tyre pressure taken off tyre 78=66.3psi it a proportion

I have a couple of German airpumps which are twin cylinder and have to be clipped onto the battery directly as they have a high amp loading.
Easily get my 5 bar front and rear. Have found that few garages can supply air above about 3 bar. If hose too short power pump from jump leads. I have on several occasions been able to help out motorhomers who have been unable to get enough pressure from a garage pump. Truck stops usualy do have enough pressure. I now have Michelins all round.

Ok now I am really confused :confused:

I have a Citroen Relay with Continental Vanco CP tyres. The door label says 79.5 psi for front and back tyres however the tyres themselves state maximum pressure of 69 psi?

I have no idea where they should be.

Yep, got axle weights then got correct pressures off Continental. Probably check them more than I need, every week when travelling.

My front axle weight is 1540 and rear 1700 for same tyre size & rating.
Should front be lower than 3bar?
How do u find ply rating?

At 3 bar you can safely load upto 1730kg over the front axle, i would not go under 3 bar. These are recommended pressure upto the weight stated. Adjust for fuel/gas/water and an average person is around 70kg.
Your ply rating will be 8 which just means you have 8 layers of nylon bonded inside the tyre for strength.

I check mine every two or three months, or before a long journey. I thought I knew what they should be but now I'm confused. Early on I got the van (Toyota Hiace) weighed and then added the most I was going to carry, which gave me axle loads of 1175kg front and 1165kg rear. I rang Bridgestone technical support (the tyres are RD-613 195/70 R15) and quoted these axle loads, and they recommended 38psi front and rear.

But recently I had a service and the garage increased the pressures to 48 front and 64 rear. Which are the exact values I get from the table at Tyresafe.org if I put in the max axle loads stamped on the door pillar (1400kg front, 1760kg rear).

But I never expect to load the van up to the max, and if I look in the Tyresafe table at my actual weights it says 38psi. So should I ignore the higher figures completely, after all there's quite a difference between 38 and 64 ?

I check mine every two or three months, or before a long journey. I thought I knew what they should be but now I'm confused. Early on I got the van (Toyota Hiace) weighed and then added the most I was going to carry, which gave me axle loads of 1175kg front and 1165kg rear. I rang Bridgestone technical support (the tyres are RD-613 195/70 R15) and quoted these axle loads, and they recommended 38psi front and rear.

But recently I had a service and the garage increased the pressures to 48 front and 64 rear. Which are the exact values I get from the table at Tyresafe.org if I put in the max axle loads stamped on the door pillar (1400kg front, 1760kg rear).

But I never expect to load the van up to the max, and if I look in the Tyresafe table at my actual weights it says 38psi. So should I ignore the higher figures completely, after all there's quite a difference between 38 and 64 ?

So long as the info given to Bridgestone was correct then work on what they give you

Yes I know what pressure to run at and check once a month,it used to be a weekly but with the advent of air loss sensors I do it monthly but do a visual safety check before and after a journey.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back