Unusual hobbies

Sharon the Cat

I am into crafting, kiln formed glass being my biggest & definitely most expensive hobby.
I craft every Tuesday evening with my friend, who is also the landlady of my local & we are on a mission to do craft workshops covering every letter of the alphabet. We only started earlier this year & so far we have either done or are about to do:
  • Brush Lettering
  • Basketwork
  • Glass Blowing
  • Silver/Copper Jewellery
  • Knitting
  • Lavender Rattles
  • Leather Handbag
  • Leather Backpack
  • Linocut Printing
  • Macrame
  • Needle Felting
  • Pottery
  • Painting
  • Rag Rugging
  • Stained Glass
  • Wood Turning

If anyone has ideas of other interestoing crafts to try I'd love to hear them.

rugbyken

m always looking for a hobby just don’t seem to have the time since i retired , as a plumber in the sixties i used to use a paraffin blowlamp got about twenty + a couple of petrol ones have cleaned a couple up & have them on display others in boxin garage , friends for my 65th bought me a piano accordion in its lovely case behind the settee , i bought a big wood lathe from a neighbour who was moving away came with 30 different chisels and 3 chuck vices rotates 90deg for making bowls , when i have time going to take up all these hobbies but when???

Sharon the Cat

Last night my friend and I finished all the poppies we had knitted.
Happily for me it was a bit of gin tasting session too.
IMG_20191022_224706.jpg

silverweed

Last night my friend and I finished all the poppies we had knitted.View attachment 50798
[/QUOTE]
How about posting the pattern? Still some time to knit a few up
Have you tried stumpwork, I love it and did some teaching at college a few years ago
Also rushwork for your list
Paper cutting (the Eastern European way)
Beading (great for a van as doesn’t take a lot of space but intricate

Sharon the Cat

How about posting the pattern? Still some time to knit a few up
Have you tried stumpwork, I love it and did some teaching at college a few years ago
Also rushwork for your list
Paper cutting (the Eastern European way)
Beading (great for a van as doesn’t take a lot of space but intricate
My friend & I adapted this from many over complicated patterns, to what we were happy with.

Double Knitting Yarn & Size 4 Needles

Cast on 50 stitches
Knit 4 to 6 rows of stocking stitch starting with a knit row
K2 tog for whole row
P2 tog for whole row
K2 tog for whole row
Draw yarn through remaining stitches & sew edges together.

Sew small black button in centre & safety pin or brooch back behind.

IMG_20191024_091013.jpg
I have Googled stumpwork & rushwork, thanks for the suggestions.

Last night was brush lettering. Nicely presented but oh so boring. The lady running it was not a good presenter or teacher, basically left us to our own devices & I was rubbish at it - but we tried.

On Saturday it's a day of wood-turning. I believe we are going to make a pestle & mortar.

Sharon the Cat

Forgot to say we have a beading kit to make a tassled Christmas Decoration & we are starting that next Tuesday, hopefully with more gin!😋

silverweed

Goodness you are busy with all these crafts. I have a few core interests but there are a lot that I am interested in in as much as I am very curious what the techniques are. When I have had a go and learnt how to do it I leave it alone as I feel there is not enough time to get enough practice to get really skilled in all these things.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)