Unusual hobbies

I am into crafting, kiln formed glass being my biggest & definitely most expensive hobby.
I craft every Tuesday evening with my friend, who is also the landlady of my local & we are on a mission to do craft workshops covering every letter of the alphabet. We only started earlier this year & so far we have either done or are about to do:
  • Brush Lettering
  • Basketwork
  • Glass Blowing
  • Silver/Copper Jewellery
  • Knitting
  • Lavender Rattles
  • Leather Handbag
  • Leather Backpack
  • Linocut Printing
  • Macrame
  • Needle Felting
  • Pottery
  • Painting
  • Rag Rugging
  • Stained Glass
  • Wood Turning

If anyone has ideas of other interestoing crafts to try I'd love to hear them.

m always looking for a hobby just don’t seem to have the time since i retired , as a plumber in the sixties i used to use a paraffin blowlamp got about twenty + a couple of petrol ones have cleaned a couple up & have them on display others in boxin garage , friends for my 65th bought me a piano accordion in its lovely case behind the settee , i bought a big wood lathe from a neighbour who was moving away came with 30 different chisels and 3 chuck vices rotates 90deg for making bowls , when i have time going to take up all these hobbies but when???

Last night my friend and I finished all the poppies we had knitted.View attachment 50798
[/QUOTE]
How about posting the pattern? Still some time to knit a few up
Have you tried stumpwork, I love it and did some teaching at college a few years ago
Also rushwork for your list
Paper cutting (the Eastern European way)
Beading (great for a van as doesn’t take a lot of space but intricate

How about posting the pattern? Still some time to knit a few up
Have you tried stumpwork, I love it and did some teaching at college a few years ago
Also rushwork for your list
Paper cutting (the Eastern European way)
Beading (great for a van as doesn’t take a lot of space but intricate

My friend & I adapted this from many over complicated patterns, to what we were happy with.

Double Knitting Yarn & Size 4 Needles

Cast on 50 stitches
Knit 4 to 6 rows of stocking stitch starting with a knit row
K2 tog for whole row
P2 tog for whole row
K2 tog for whole row
Draw yarn through remaining stitches & sew edges together.

Sew small black button in centre & safety pin or brooch back behind.

IMG_20191024_091013.jpg
I have Googled stumpwork & rushwork, thanks for the suggestions.

Last night was brush lettering. Nicely presented but oh so boring. The lady running it was not a good presenter or teacher, basically left us to our own devices & I was rubbish at it - but we tried.

On Saturday it's a day of wood-turning. I believe we are going to make a pestle & mortar.

Goodness you are busy with all these crafts. I have a few core interests but there are a lot that I am interested in in as much as I am very curious what the techniques are. When I have had a go and learnt how to do it I leave it alone as I feel there is not enough time to get enough practice to get really skilled in all these things.

My name is Colin and...….
.........err, this is really difficult to admit but I...….
............….Okay, okay...………..
.....................I admit it....…..
…………………………………………………...
…………………...I collect paraffin and petrol camping stoves and lamps.
……………………….I've got well over a hundred.

I feel so much better for sharing my problem.

Colin :):):)

Hi Colin, this is just for you...
image.jpg

Hi Colin, this is just for you...
View attachment 56692

A Tilley P53 in superb condition, probably about 1940 vintage?
Thank you for sharing that, Red Dwarf.
Did you renovate it?
You're probably aware that your lamp was designed to have a shade (the non-shade models have a folding handle). The shade sits on the 'ears' on the handle at the height of the gallery.

Last edited:
A Tilley P53 in superb condition, probably about 1940 vintage?
Thank you for sharing that, Red Dwarf.
Did you renovate it?
You're probably aware that your lamp was designed to have a shade (the non-shade models have a folding handle). The shade sits on the 'ears' on the handle at the height of the gallery.

Nearly right. It’s an Australian made Kayen AP2 from the war years. Very much like an early PL53. If only I could find a Kayen shade, hens teeth! It came to me in this condition, lucky old me!

Stevie

I am into crafting, kiln formed glass being my biggest & definitely most expensive hobby.
I craft every Tuesday evening with my friend, who is also the landlady of my local & we are on a mission to do craft workshops covering every letter of the alphabet. We only started earlier this year & so far we have either done or are about to do:
  • Brush Lettering
  • Basketwork
  • Glass Blowing
  • Silver/Copper Jewellery
  • Knitting
  • Lavender Rattles
  • Leather Handbag
  • Leather Backpack
  • Linocut Printing
  • Macrame
  • Needle Felting
  • Pottery
  • Painting
  • Rag Rugging
  • Stained Glass
  • Wood Turning

If anyone has ideas of other interestoing crafts to try I'd love to hear them.

NVQ in Wheel barrow maintenance ?

I believe Massage Parlour workers can get NVQs, now.

It's nice to be handled by an expert.

Well I started this thread in November last year in the hope that other members might tell us about their hobbies well I thought I would resurrect it as I have recently found a new hobbie as well as camping/ motorhoming whatever you want to call it I have discovered fishing more to the point beach casting and I love it I cannot wait to get home get my tackle sorted and get back out there, so come on some of you must have hobbies that you do either when your home or that you incorporate in your travels.
Anne do you fish with lugs? Many years ago my then partner and I laid a line over night in the surf and the next morning we had fish galore. Mind you those lugs can move when you start digging for them. Have you tried fly fishing? So peaceful and fresh trout bears no comparison to bought.

I keep meaning to get back to my Dolls houses. At the moment they look like neglected toys. However the lived in domicile needs sorting so they'll have to wait. I bake occasionally but family having left do less now.

Anne do you fish with lugs? Many years ago my then partner and I laid a line over night in the surf and the next morning we had fish galore. Mind you those lugs can move when you start digging for them. Have you tried fly fishing? So peaceful and fresh trout bears no comparison to bought.
Yes I have but I’m not great with some bait Edina gave me some bate and told me how to bait the hook and be carful as these worms bite 😱after a few minutes struggle I had all its insides all over my hands fly fishing maybe not for me as I am a beach bum so just wanted something to do while at the beach.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back