Unusual hobbies

It is great to see many of you have hobbies which can fit in your van, even if it is just sitting in the rain with old people (which most of us do at some time!)
My main hobby now is playing the fiddle so I had to ensure the van is big enough for me to use the bow without hitting the roof, and it also gets a bit noisy. When I am travelling alone it is not a problem playing indoors, but when travelling with my unmusical other half I find myself having to play in strange places such as bus shelters, cemeteries, beachside launderettes, clifftops......
I have found it quite useful when somebody pulls up too close to your van on a French aire......when I start playing with the windows open they soon get as far away as possible.
What a fabulous hobby I’ll park next to you anytime no matter how much noise you make I wish I was that talented I always wanted to learn the banjo I bought one years ago kept it in the spare bedroom for about 20 years then sold it 2 years back now I’ve taken up beach fishing I seem more successful at that lol.

What a fabulous hobby I’ll park next to you anytime no matter how much noise you make I wish I was that talented I always wanted to learn the banjo I bought one years ago kept it in the spare bedroom for about 20 years then sold it 2 years back now I’ve taken up beach fishing I seem more successful at that lol.

Perhaps you should buy another banjo, so you can strum along when singing

I started making walking sticks - just to see if I could.
They are both hazel sticks. The one on the left is naturalIy that shape thanks to wood vine which climbs it and sort of strangles it.
Cherrywood handle on it too while the other stick has a mahogany handle.

IMG_1587.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think I would have the patience for fishing. I would have to play my fiddle while I was waiting for the fish to bite, but it doesn't do too well in the rain!. As for the banjo, it is never too late to learn any instrument so 'go for it' is my advice.

They are both hazel sticks. The one on the left is naturalIy that shape thanks to wood vine which climbs it and sort of strangles it.

Another great hobby and Thankyou for sharing.

Loving this thread and hearing about all the different hobbies. When my other half meets anybody new he likes to see what work they do/did, it's amazing what unusual occupations are out there too.

My wife does a lot of different arts n crafte,does crafts with patients in the ward to keep their minds etc occupied,she has been told/asked to go into business but as she said when she does things like that it don’t stay a hobby then it’s business and she isn’t wanting that

My wife does a lot of different arts n crafte,does crafts with patients in the ward to keep their minds etc occupied,she has been told/asked to go into business but as she said when she does things like that it don’t stay a hobby then it’s business and she isn’t wanting that
There is a popular phrase that goes "make your obsession your profession" meaning turn the hobby you enjoy into a business, but I agree with you - as soon as it becomes a business which you rely on in any way, the pressure can ramp up and the enjoyment disappears :(

Anyways, reason for posting here is I have recently taken up a hobby I first did in the 1970s when at school - namely Archery 🏹
Really enjoying getting into it again and my, how things have changed in 40 odd years! Technology really has moved into the archery world o_O
Sods law being what it is, there is a local club to me and now I have been doing it for around 6 weeks, it is closing down due to lack of reliable funds :(
But will just need to go farther afield (think there is another one around 15-20 miles or so away?).

Archery is great. I got hooked on it at school and was in the archery team. I kept it up for a few years, but work and life got in the way.
My almost third son in law has a modern bow with all the counter weights and bits sticking out of it. I can’t see how you can miss with one of those, I’d love to have another go at it with all the new kit nowadays.

View attachment 38364
Do you make the handles or buy them? I absolutely love your sticks. We have a lot of eucalyptus in Portugal which has had a bug eat the outside of the branch making a lovely pattern which would lend itself to walking sticks. Very strong wood, the bugs just live under the bark....we have used some for banisters, but I fancy a go at walking sticks.

Archery is great. I got hooked on it at school and was in the archery team. I kept it up for a few years, but work and life got in the way.
My almost third son in law has a modern bow with all the counter weights and bits sticking out of it. I can’t see how you can miss with one of those, I’d love to have another go at it with all the new kit nowadays.
Oh trust me, you can :D

Do you make the handles or buy them? I absolutely love your sticks. We have a lot of eucalyptus in Portugal which has had a bug eat the outside of the branch making a lovely pattern which would lend itself to walking sticks. Very strong wood, the bugs just live under the bark....we have used some for banisters, but I fancy a go at walking sticks.
The handles I cut from some lumps of wood I had lying around although they can be bought commercially. (thestickman.co.uk) to name just one.
The shanks I gathered down the local woodland. They have to be dried for at least a year before attempting to do anything with them.
If you are luck enough to get a holly shank let it dry for two years plus.
Once they are dried they then have to be straightened using heat in one form or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back