Weather Report..................

There was patchy blue aloft this morning at Puy-de-Dôme, though 500 metres above us the peak was covered in cloud. We took a chance and went to the top where the view was a trifle restricted:

IMG_20190610_092205.jpg

So I waited for a break in the cloud and sent the stealth drone up to get a better view of the volcanic cones:

IMG_20190610_104144-02.jpeg

There are lots of sub-Alpine flowers on the Puy, such as the Mountain Pansy or Mountain Violet:

IMG_20190610_100833-02.jpeg

.....and Mountain Bluet:

IMG_20190610_102205-01.jpeg

The drive southwards through the volcanic cones of the Auvergne was lovely with the rain that was forecast thankfully not putting in an appearance.
During a stroll around Lac Pavin (a perfectly circular lake in the cone of a volcano) we even got the odd patch of blue returning:

IMG_20190610_144334-01.jpeg

Colin ???

If they're right we're due a hammering on Wednesday here oop norf (east).

Said 60mm in south & south east today/tomorrow which is a month's worth of rain in one go.
80mm of rain forecast for us Wednesday and it is going to hang around too as very slow moving. Eek!
Guess there might be some flooding.

Hope they've got it wrong...

The wind is a blowing this morning & getting stronger. Yuk!

No rain just yet, but the clouds are building... Plus it's f-f-f-laming freezing (June!)

Was brilliant sunshine hardly a cloud in the sky yesterday, walking round in T shirts, today it's gone all brass monkey weather ?☹

Dare not deploy the parasol.
Without any warning, sudden gusts of wind arrive from different directions.
Looks like that's the course of events today.
A good day for sitting inside, in the cool shade.
Supposed to be dining outside at the pensioners treat, tonight.... Hope the wind doesn't blow my chips off my plate.

Yesterday we wild camped high above the Lac du Barrage de Grandval and awoke to a dry but grey sky just outside the Moho door:

IMG_20190611_090630.jpg

Then down to the water's edge by Chateau d'Alleuze where the sky was still grey:

IMG_20190611_092120.jpg

..........so we pressed on to the eastern end of the lake where Monsieur Eiffel built his beautiful wrought iron Viaduct de Garabit in the 1880's. And it carries trains to this day:

IMG_20190611_102349.jpg

.....but still it was grey and dry.
The Tarn Gorge is a place I've wanted to visit for some time so we headed south and along the gorge to our wildcamp by the river's edge:

IMG_20190611_172808.jpg

...by which time the sky was a much lighter shade of grey in anticipation of the sunshine forecast for today.
Allegedly.

Colin ???

Last edited:
Back