We're off

We've been quite adventures today, we went up to the grianan of aileach, fantastic place, and also to fort Dundee, both free and fair access if disabled.

We've been quite adventures today, we went up to the grianan of aileach, fantastic place, and also to fort Dundee, both free and fair access if disabled.
Last few years Dunree fort had a paid ticket at rd in., paul/jenny did that one with us, not easy to get down the the mus gun room, but the cinama is excesable.dunree a.pngdunree b.pngdunree c.png

We didn't pay, there was a ticket counter but we just walked in, yes the bunker was a bit awkward but we managed it.

You should find lots more places to overnight up in donegal as you make you way round, do get yourselves to the nat park, hope you seen the errigal mtn, nice drive past it and the poison glen

Heading into NI today, off home toward the end of the week, Belfast to Cairn Ryan perhaps.

Heading into NI today, off home toward the end of the week, Belfast to Cairn Ryan perhaps.
You should of had a big feed at the cosy cottage before hitting l derry, the right after the foyle bridge to eglington, ballycastle portstrwart portrush and down the coast to larne and belfast, the better half will like shopping in larne.
Also whitehead which has a big carpark for sleeping over, as does carrick castle carpark which has lecy and water plus toilets, there you will be within shooting range od me LOL.

Just had breakfast here, now driving around just looking at stuff, Liz isn't a shopper girl, Proper Yorkshire, tight as a duck arse, she liked this old tractor for some reason, and why does every other house have a digger in the garden.

20230924_103534.jpg20230924_103127.jpg20230924_102356.jpg20230924_102517.jpg

Moville is where the cosy cottage is, you can go up 2 miles and get the ferry to Magilligan point,£20 and then go to the main road A37 turn left to castlerock and on round to Coleraine, yep best keep them out of shops, mine dont do much either, ps dont give the one finger salute to the guards at the jail or you may end up in there, some camping spots just past the ferry terminal on the right, you will also notice the mortello tower and police firing range left of terminal.
Have a good day both of you.

Too late, we're in Londonderry now.

We'll decide for sure tomorrow morning but we may head for Scotland and have a few days their to finish the trip off.

We'll decide for sure tomorrow morning but we may head for Scotland and have a few days their to finish the trip off.
Feck scotland, turn left to ballycastle along the shore, nice we drive, if you can do portstewart and portrush, see the NW race track, good roads all the way back to belfast past ballymoney where i was born, Joey Dunlop country.

I have very mixed feelings about NI Trev.

We're going to go around the coast as far as Larne then take the ferry to Scotland.

We've both really enjoyed the trip, the Irish folk we have met along the way have been open friendly and helpful, the overtaking system is a bit odd but mostly works and our breakfast sandwiches have been mostly really grand👍

One old gentleman made our day when we went to get the 6kg gas, he came out with old one about not going from there :) :) :)

Last edited:
I have very mixed feelings about NI Trev.
We ant don nofin on you YET, still time LOL, yes round the coast is nice, dont go over Tor head with the van, way to much tight bends, cushendun nice and QT with a overnight c park and toilets, not much in cushendall except beach and golf course, but do head on round to Ballycastle, hard to get parked there as hight restriction on c park, but you can park along the road if any spaces. Carnlough is good with a carpark on the right with a nice harbour, you will pass under the old limestone narrow gauge bridge from the hills.
Glenarm is perfect at harbour as lots of vans pull in and overnight free, you can viz the castle across the road where there is a resteraunt, from there to ballygalley, again a free and open carpark with a small shop also selling mauds ice cream, get you lips round that, Larne and whitehead next befor carrick castle which is the oldest full time working castle in Gb up to ww2, note that William prince of orange landed there to go on to the battle of the boyne 1690 to which all modern english ways and law are to this day once he got rid of the English King, 6 miles from me be vigalant.:eek:😂😂😂

It was fine Trev, pussies stay away, we noticed not long after Dublin that the signs were very panic inducing for no good reason to our minds.

We took the coast road around Torr Head down to Cushendall, then again down to drains Bay, liz panicked when she heard about storm Agnes and we're on the ferry now.

In Scotland now, ferry crossing was smooth enough, but I managed to twist my back badly and it took me ages to get back to the van, fortunately they had a lift so no stairs but getting back into the van was really painful, I might be sleeping in the driver seat yet.

I meant to ask before, but this thing with petrol stations selling quite good food i wondered if this was just an irish thing or is it common in the EU too?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back